The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #29
Wasted Youth
What Me Worry?

Drives: ~215 Yards.
Hah. The ISS photobomb is awesome!

I put off ordering the glasses until it was too late. Fortunately I had 20-stops of photography ND filters and a UV filter (#14 Welders shade is 18-stops)...

Here are a couple good vids:

Wasted Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #30
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
Cool

Well, all I can say was that was f*cking awesome!
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #31
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
Here is a two shot I got today. We did not get 100% but was still fun!

Top half is 10D with 400L and the bottom half is 7D with 14-105L
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #32
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
I didn't buy the solar eclipse glasses (I wish I had though). I did the old school method. Punched a hole in a paper plate and used my car as the background.
Attached Images

1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #33
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
I lucked out in South Florida with cloud coverage so I was able to see it without needing glasses.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:30 AM   #34
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I drove down to near Long Creek, OR along the middle fork of the John Day river. It was amazing to watch the eclipse, something I watched using a pinhole box back in 1979. Back then, I didn't see a full eclipse.

This time, had glasses and was able to watch directly. Much more interesting while waiting for the full eclipse. Also brought my camera and a nice telephoto lens, though I was unable to get a filter for the camera because I did this trip on short notice.

Really was fun to see the land darken and the temperature cool quite a bit during the full eclipse. Glad I made the trip.

Anyways, here's the pictures I took.

I had about 25 more pictures during the full eclipse, though they all look almost identical, though the stars you can see do change a little.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:31 AM   #35
Wasted Youth
What Me Worry?

Drives: ~215 Yards.
^Those images of the full eclipse are pretty cool. Amazing you could see stars...

While watching the news, I was blown away how dark it got it where the full eclipse occurred; it literally looked like day went to night.

It's hard to fathom just how bright the sun is, since we just kind of take it for granted, but next time you're out on a clear night, look down at your shadow and realize that shadow is caused from light, bouncing off 'part' (usually not a full moon) of a 'rock' ~240K miles away, from a light source that's ~93 Million miles away; that's WHACK, and staggering, considering there are stars a BILLION times larger than our sun...
Wasted Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:43 PM   #36
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
I can't see anything now
Old 08-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #37
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasted Youth View Post
^Those images of the full eclipse are pretty cool. Amazing you could see stars...

While watching the news, I was blown away how dark it got it where the full eclipse occurred; it literally looked like day went to night.

It's hard to fathom just how bright the sun is, since we just kind of take it for granted, but next time you're out on a clear night, look down at your shadow and realize that shadow is caused from light, bouncing off 'part' (usually not a full moon) of a 'rock' ~240K miles away, from a light source that's ~93 Million miles away; that's WHACK, and staggering, considering there are stars a BILLION times larger than our sun...
Not only did it get dark...it cooled down considerably. As the sky darkened (shortly before the full eclipse), you could feel the temperature drop. Or maybe it was just feeling the lack of energy from the sun...it was quite noticeable.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #38
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
The temperature in Wyoming dropped about 12- 15 degrees. You could see a few stars. There was a cool neon like glow from the sun's corona at totality. A really cool experience. It was even worth a seven hour drive home (2-3/4 hour normal conditions).
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:21 PM   #39
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Had clear skies in Franklin Kentucky and got to experience a total eclipse. I can say that words or photos or videos cannot fully describe or capture the experience of seeing it in person. I can't really describe it, yet I can picture it in my mind as if I was still there watching it. I remember watching the last bit of the sun disappear and thinking "there it goes" and then there was a granite grey circle over the sun with a shimmering corona trailing all around. It went from still light to dusk in a snap as a huge cheer rose up from the crowd. And I just thought "holy ----" and "oh, wow" and "hey, turn off your headlights idiot" and "the temperature feels so cool" and "look at the glow all the way around the horizon" and "look at that sun" and "there's Venus and I wonder if that is Mars or Saturn or Jupiter on the other side" and "look, all the lights have gone on all around the town" and "look at that sun" and "wow" and bam, out comes the sun and it's over. But in my mind it's not and that's pretty cool.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote