Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 10-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #29
rfm4000

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE SIM
I can get my large frame road bike in the trunk no problem with the front wheel off going in rear tire first.
rfm4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:39 PM   #30
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfm4000 View Post
I can get my large frame road bike in the trunk no problem with the front wheel off going in rear tire first.
There's no way that's working for any of my frames without taking off at least the front wheel and seatpost. 5'11" on mostly large frames, although mountain bike "size" is meaningless, reach and other numbers are.

The real problem though is that if you transport with your trunk, you inevitably mess up the interior with the sharp edges, dirt and grime, grease on the chain and hubs, and so on. Not a good idea for any long-term.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:25 AM   #31
TunaMelt

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Can we get a pic of this? I can't see how this would work.
TunaMelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:55 AM   #32
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaMelt View Post
Can we get a pic of this? I can't see how this would work.
The "trunk hole" on the C6 appears to be smaller than on my C5.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:47 PM   #33
rfm4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
There's no way that's working for any of my frames without taking off at least the front wheel and seatpost. 5'11" on mostly large frames, although mountain bike "size" is meaningless, reach and other numbers are.

The real problem though is that if you transport with your trunk, you inevitably mess up the interior with the sharp edges, dirt and grime, grease on the chain and hubs, and so on. Not a good idea for any long-term.
Lower the seat, take the front wheel off, gear side up and in first, it fits, ill take a picture next time i do it.

Theres no dirt or grease and nothing gets scraped. It is a bit of work but itll go in as long as you can lift the back wheel through the inside trunk opening to the wide spot towards the roof.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:52 PM   #34
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:

Theres no dirt or grease and nothing gets scraped.
I'm not going to claim it's impossible to fit the bike in there, taking the seatpost and wheel off frees up a lot, but no grime, grease and dirt and none of these or any sharp edges ever come in contact with any of the interior? I gotta call BS on that one. You may not notice or see any effects in the short term, so it's not a bad thing every once and a while in a pinch, but over time, it's a bad idea, you are going to contact the interior, scrape stuff, leave dirt and grime, stains, etc.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #35
rfm4000

i guess if you have a mountain bike it could be super dirty but a road bike doesnt get all that dirty, except for the chain and gear area, which is facing up while its in the trunk, so it never contacts anything.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:26 PM   #36
dhollingdale

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
I use a Curt 1.25" trailer hitch bought from etrailer with a Thule platform bike rack to carry up to two bikes. Works perfectly.
dhollingdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:14 PM   #37
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhollingdale View Post
I use a Curt 1.25" trailer hitch bought from etrailer with a Thule platform bike rack to carry up to two bikes. Works perfectly.
I'd like to know how the OEM and the aftermarket compare as far as sticking out. I'd like it to stick out as little as possible obviously, like the one I had on the SS:

Or are the aftermarket the same? Seems that the OEM doesn't have the little chain-loop things, which I'm fine with, but the bigger factor is which tucks away better IMO.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:54 PM   #38
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Not to bash, but folks should choose the right vehicle as a daily driver for their lifestyle. I know lots of folks daily drive these cars, but I would never. I could never live comfortably without a pick up truck. I need to haul landscaping, home improvement items for my house, kayaks, bikes, camping gear, etc. So, my DD is a 2015 RAM ecodiesel truck. In my younger less money days, I still was able to have a DD and a nice performance car. I would just buy cheap, $3k or less old trucks for winter, rain, and for hauling gear. Would only put liability insurance on them. When I was done with them, I'd sell them for about the same I bought them for or donate them if they died.

I'll bet you could find an old beater truck or car for a little more than what a fancy bike rack would cost ya. Plus, u could keep the camaro in better shape by driving the beater when the weather is crappy.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:14 AM   #39
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
Not to bash, but folks should choose the right vehicle as a daily driver for their lifestyle. I know lots of folks daily drive these cars, but I would never. I could never live comfortably without a pick up truck. I need to haul landscaping, home improvement items for my house, kayaks, bikes, camping gear, etc. So, my DD is a 2015 RAM ecodiesel truck. In my younger less money days, I still was able to have a DD and a nice performance car. I would just buy cheap, $3k or less old trucks for winter, rain, and for hauling gear. Would only put liability insurance on them. When I was done with them, I'd sell them for about the same I bought them for or donate them if they died.

I'll bet you could find an old beater truck or car for a little more than what a fancy bike rack would cost ya. Plus, u could keep the camaro in better shape by driving the beater when the weather is crappy.
You are no fun.

Who's to say I don't have another vehicle?
Old 11-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #40
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Lol, wasn't referring to anyone in particular... I just think it's funny when u see coupes with racks and etc. Especially funny when I see them at home improvement stores trying to stuff 2x4s in their cars or plants sticking through the sun roof.

1. For hauling stuff
2. For hauling azz
Attached Images

Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #41
TxJacket

Drives: BMW
It's a Camaro, not a collectible. I say drive it and use it.

I know a guy with a GT3 who uses it for the grocery and airport run, and another guy with a 458 that takes it to Home Depot. Life's too short to not have fun when you can.
TxJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #42
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxJacket View Post
It's a Camaro, not a collectible. I say drive it and use it.

I know a guy with a GT3 who uses it for the grocery and airport run, and another guy with a 458 that takes it to Home Depot. Life's too short to not have fun when you can.
Exactly. I like having my cake and eating it too.