Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
Any way to get the wifi without Onstar?

My free trial ran out and so I've lost my wifi. I've heard AT&T is the wifi provider. Any way to just get wifi? I really don't want the Onstar plans. If not, what the lowest cost to get me some wifi?
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
No..not based in the car...it’s their module
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Per the OnStar website, you have to be an OnStar customer to get the WIFI. https://www.onstar.com/us/en/plans-pricing.html

Best plan if you are going to use it a lot is the unlimited data plan for $20/month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #4
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
What I find annoying is. You should be able to tie in with your data plan you currently have with your phone. Why should you have to pay separate charges for data, and at $15 bucks a gig. It's a great tool but not at that price.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #5
Eos

Drives: Camaro Coupé 2.0T AT8 (EU version)
Another solution could be using your smartphone as a wi-fi hotspot. You can add the phone as a wi-fi connection and get all data via the hotspot itself.

See you!!,
Eos
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #6
ShadySS

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos View Post
Another solution could be using your smartphone as a wi-fi hotspot. You can add the phone as a wi-fi connection and get all data via the hotspot itself.

See you!!,
Eos
This is what I do, fiance loved the wifi in the car, since she doesn't have much data, when the trial ran out she was a little upset, I have a lot of data, so I just use my hot spot and she's happy lol
ShadySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #7
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Everything technological offered in this car is annoying and anti-consumer.

1. entertainment uses a proprietary protocol, virtually eliminating the aftermarket or replacement of their hardware.

2. Entertainment head unit is not a standard form factor. Eliminating the aftermarket choice in head units and making upgrading in the future essentially impossible without upgrading the entire car or looking seriously ghetto.

3. Wifi is connected to Onstar. Eliminating consumer choice in how the AP connects to the internet and forcing consumers to pay a single provider (yay competition....not).

4. Onstar has no way of turning remote access off without pulling fuses and losing additional functionality or physically removing the wireless transmitter in the onstar module.

5. BCM that controls blinkers is hardwired to only accept incandescent lights. It would be trivial to make this thing "learn" what the working load is. Some other GM vehicles have done this for years. This makes us have to include stupid load resistors to upgrade to LED.

I'm sure there are others. Basically there's a guy at GM who goes ... "That's an excellent feature! Now how can we implement it to screw over consumers to pad our bottom line and get people buying a new car since we can no longer produce cars that fall apart in half decade?"
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #8
Biscuit.fr

Drives: Red hot ZL1 A10 2017
?
I’m pretty sure WiFi is working in Europe.
There is no AT&T neither on star....
So
Something else may work....
Biscuit.fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #9
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit.fr View Post
?
I’m pretty sure WiFi is working in Europe.
There is no AT&T neither on star....
So
Something else may work....
The question isn't what cell provider they have an agreement with. It's if the european models include onstar and thus tie the wifi into a fixed cell provider for all their data.

As long as it's tied to onstar, there is no hope of being able to customize the data provider that GM has their agreement with in that geographical location.

There may not be an option even if there's not, but definitely not if it is.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #10
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
You'd think there would be a SIM card in there somewhere...
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #11
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
You'd think there would be a SIM card in there somewhere...
in devices that are tied into fixed networks, often the sim card is hard-wired in and not actually a removable card.

edit: and i've had the onstar module open with the cell transponder and there's no accessible card. At least not on the US camaro.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:38 PM   #12
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Everything technological offered in this car is annoying and anti-consumer.

1. entertainment uses a proprietary protocol, virtually eliminating the aftermarket or replacement of their hardware.

2. Entertainment head unit is not a standard form factor. Eliminating the aftermarket choice in head units and making upgrading in the future essentially impossible without upgrading the entire car or looking seriously ghetto.

3. Wifi is connected to Onstar. Eliminating consumer choice in how the AP connects to the internet and forcing consumers to pay a single provider (yay competition....not).

4. Onstar has no way of turning remote access off without pulling fuses and losing additional functionality or physically removing the wireless transmitter in the onstar module.

5. BCM that controls blinkers is hardwired to only accept incandescent lights. It would be trivial to make this thing "learn" what the working load is. Some other GM vehicles have done this for years. This makes us have to include stupid load resistors to upgrade to LED.

I'm sure there are others. Basically there's a guy at GM who goes ... "That's an excellent feature! Now how can we implement it to screw over consumers to pad our bottom line and get people buying a new car since we can no longer produce cars that fall apart in half decade?"
You are correct. We should keep making cars just like we did in the 80s. Have you ever worked in the auto industry?

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote