Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

View Poll Results: Have you experienced unexpected power loss at low speeds with the 6th Gen ZL1?
Yes, I feel there is an issue with the car's ability to take off gently and/or launch. 104 64.20%
No, the car seems fine to me. 26 16.05%
I do not own a 6th Gen ZL1. 32 19.75%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #351
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZL1 View Post
Any update !! Thanks
Not yet.

I'll ping them for an update at the end of the week if I don't hear from them before then.

They seem to be taking their time. I'm hopeful that the update will be worth the wait.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #352
BrandonBell

Drives: Hyper Blue Metalic gen 6
Man I'm like 3 or 4 months from ordering my 18 zl1 and today I pretty much convinced myself that I wanted the 6speed..... then I read this
BrandonBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #353
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBell View Post
Man I'm like 3 or 4 months from ordering my 18 zl1 and today I pretty much convinced myself that I wanted the 6speed..... then I read this
Unless you're really into drag racing or are on the fence about the A10, I wouldn't let this issue stop you from buying the 6-speed.

Hopefully by the time you're ready to order GM will have this problem fixed anyway. They've been working on a solution for months. It'd be pretty sad if they can't offer an update soon.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #354
BrandonBell

Drives: Hyper Blue Metalic gen 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
Unless you're really into drag racing or are on the fence about the A10, I wouldn't let this issue stop you from buying the 6-speed.

Hopefully by the time you're ready to order GM will have this problem fixed anyway. They've been working on a solution for months. It'd be pretty sad if they can't offer an update soon.
Ya I mean I love drag racing/autocross which I do both in my ss, i was all for the 10 speed and was thinking today man i want the 6 speed car. I more worry about the daily issue i dont wanna have to think about it if i need to cross some traffic. I got time and am following close
BrandonBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:36 PM   #355
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBell View Post
Ya I mean I love drag racing/autocross which I do both in my ss, i was all for the 10 speed and was thinking today man i want the 6 speed car. I more worry about the daily issue i dont wanna have to think about it if i need to cross some traffic. I got time and am following close
It sounds like you might be happier with the A10 anyway.

The 6-speed is a huge disappointment on the dragstrip. On the track the 6-speed is fine, but the A10 is going to be faster in the hands of most drivers. I've never autocrossed, but I'd guess the A10 will be better on average. The A10 is just crazy fast. You should at least drive one before ruling it out completely.

On the street, the 6-speed is great other than the issue documented in this thread. I've mostly learned to avoid problem by overreving and slipping the clutch a little more on takeoff.

I'm not a huge Ford fan, but I'm betting the upcoming GT500 is going to be an amazing car on the track and dragstrip. It's certainly something to consider. I suspect it'll be announced in Detroit in January.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:51 PM   #356
travislambert

FYI, I reached out for an update early this week and haven't heard back. I don't know if my contact went on vacation, there's simply no progress to report, or what. If I don't hear something soon, I'll ping them again.

I'm beginning to wonder if we'll get a fix before the new Ford GT500 is released. I'm sure the GT500 will launch... Maybe we should all just buy Mustangs instead?

Just kidding (Kinda... Well, not really. I'm a little frustrated with the lack of urgency to be honest.)

Last edited by travislambert; 10-20-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #357
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Yeah why isn't this at the TOP of the list of questions in the ASK AL forum... ?!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:40 PM   #358
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Yeah why isn't this at the TOP of the list of questions in the ASK AL forum... ?!
I tried, but I was too late for this go around. Not sure how the options there got there in the first place.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:41 PM   #359
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
FYI, I reached out for an update early last week and haven't heard back. I don't know if my contact went on vacation, there's simply no progress to report, or what. If I don't hear something soon, I'll ping them again.

I'm beginning to wonder if we'll get a fix before the new Ford GT500 is released. I'm sure the GT500 will launch... Maybe we should all just buy Mustangs instead?

Just kidding (Kinda... Well, not really. I'm a little frustrated with the lack of urgency to be honest.)
Feels like it's nothing more than a customer help-desk ticket at the moment.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #360
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
Feels like it's nothing more than a customer help-desk ticket at the moment.
Yeah. I'm confident that we have the right people involved...It just seems that they have other priorities at the moment... It makes me think there must be some significant changes coming to the Camaro, possibly for '19.

I know one thing. There's going to be a bunch of pissed off people if they release a '19 SS with an A10 that is significantly faster than the M6 ZL1. I believe that's a very real possibility if this problem isn't addressed.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:26 PM   #361
2fastnow

Drives: 05 GTO
I know you may see this as unrelated but my 2014 GT500 M6 bogs, hesitates or stales exactly like your ZL1's do at take off. I hate it. I have to turn down the radio just to get going on hills, traffic. I'm 100% sure that GM tuned the engagement just like Ford did. By the way there are allot of burnt clutches in GT500 forums too early. I had to change mine at 9000 miles. I just speed and I only roll race. Many GT500 owners got the pedal box/sprint booster plug for help.
These cars have too much torque so the car makers 'slush' the tune I'm betting.
I thought that it was funny how both cars are the same in most ways except for rear tire size. The ZL1 should be in the 10's with those fat tires. I can never hook up so mine is around your cars ET's. That means to me GM it tuning out performance to save with warranty issues...thanks for watching.
2fastnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #362
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastnow View Post
...my 2014 GT500 M6 bogs, hesitates or stales exactly like your ZL1's do at take off. I hate it. I have to turn down the radio just to get going on hills, traffic....
Understood. I've never driven a GT500, so I'll take your word on that. My comments are based on a few videos that I've watched of the GT350 launching really fast. I'm just assuming that the new GT500 will be as good or better.

I'm sure some aspects of the soft launch are intentional, but when I spoke with the Camaro engineers (in person) they acknowledged that the '17 M6 ZL1 has a problem. I was told there would be a software update. I just don't have any details on a timeframe, or exactly what will be addressed by the update.

Last edited by travislambert; 10-20-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:54 PM   #363
2fastnow

Drives: 05 GTO
That's great that they admit/redo for these cars. Nothing at Ford. I want to get the ZL1 but it seems to be the same car as mine with different looks and way better handing. I'm still on the fence. Good luck with your's, thanks
2fastnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:07 PM   #364
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
I'm sure some aspects of the soft launch are intentional,
+1 Only to save GM on Warranty Claims.

They'd never let a COPO leave the assembly like this.

Thanks again Travis for all your help!
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote