Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

View Poll Results: Have you experienced unexpected power loss at low speeds with the 6th Gen ZL1?
Yes, I feel there is an issue with the car's ability to take off gently and/or launch. 104 64.20%
No, the car seems fine to me. 26 16.05%
I do not own a 6th Gen ZL1. 32 19.75%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #337
Bye Bye Bye

Drives: 17 Camaro ZL1 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm_tinman View Post
So I had the same problems, falling on its face at the launch at the drag strip. So with max setting on launch control the car just bogs so bad I could not get better than 2.0 second 60'. When I turn everything off, it blow the tires off.

Here is how I went about finding a solution:

1. Installed a rotofab intake, thinking a little more air would help. No change with or without launch control.

2. Installed a Tony Mamo ported throttle body, though if I quicker response from the TB would help. Also no change with or without launch control.

3. Installed Mickey Thompson ET Street 305/35/19 Drag Radials, figured if it was a launch control issue I went forward towards having it hookup whit everything turned off. Now there was a difference, still bog with launch control but now bog with everything turned off too! For certain it is a tuning thing.

4. So I went to my local "GO FAST SHOP" and showed what is going on. He plugged into the computer and four hours later said the car is limited in the first 4 gears. Now I'm not a tuner guy so don't sue me, but he said that the setting was like 604 out of a max of 6000. So he tuned it up to 6000. Let me tell you there is a difference now! The throttle response it so fast and the take off is so much more! Just normal driving is better. When you take off it just goes and no lag or bobble on the take off, quicker throughout the entire gears. Its feels the way it should!

So I plan on going to the track tonight to test it out, normal was 12.25 @ 119 and my hero run was 11.9 @ 121 in the 1/4. I hope to see solid 11's.

Keep you posted!
Thanks for information. I’m curious as to what the “setting” is actually referred to? For instance what is exactly changing (supercharger psi settings, electronic torque control, throttle delay/position, etc...).

Also do you find that the traction control is coming on all of the time now?

Thank you for your help!
Bye Bye Bye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:36 PM   #338
Shorty45

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1, M6
Very interesting. I had same issues as noted earlier, i.e. Items 1 and 2 Now that you had it tuned, just curious what your new times in 60ft and 1/4 were? Also, what areas were adjusted to improve things? I appreciate everyone who is testing things on their cars to figure out why it is so hard to launch them effectively. Specifically for drag racing.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:31 AM   #339
DJ127

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
So I had the same problems, falling on its face at the launch at the drag strip. So with max setting on launch control the car just bogs so bad I could not get better than 2.0 second 60'. When I turn everything off, it blow the tires off.

Here is how I went about finding a solution:

1. Installed a rotofab intake, thinking a little more air would help. No change with or without launch control.

2. Installed a Tony Mamo ported throttle body, though if I quicker response from the TB would help. Also no change with or without launch control.

3. Installed Mickey Thompson ET Street 305/35/19 Drag Radials, figured if it was a launch control issue I went forward towards having it hookup whit everything turned off. Now there was a difference, still bog with launch control but now bog with everything turned off too! For certain it is a tuning thing.

4. So I went to my local "GO FAST SHOP" and showed what is going on. He plugged into the computer and four hours later said the car is limited in the first 4 gears. Now I'm not a tuner guy so don't sue me, but he said that the setting was like 604 out of a max of 6000. So he tuned it up to 6000. Let me tell you there is a difference now! The throttle response it so fast and the take off is so much more! Just normal driving is better. When you take off it just goes and no lag or bobble on the take off, quicker throughout the entire gears. Its feels the way it should!

So I plan on going to the track tonight to test it out, normal was 12.25 @ 119 and my hero run was 11.9 @ 121 in the 1/4. I hope to see solid 11's.

Keep you posted!
Great info, thank you for sharing. I am also curious if the traction control is constantly being activated now that ECU is not limiting the power. If not, makes me wonder why GM would have programmed it that way? I'm assuming to limit Parts breakage/warranty claims. Fingers crossed GM is reading this and will offer us M6 owners a similar tune/re-flash....(far-fetched I know)
DJ127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:01 AM   #340
rtm_tinman

Drives: 2017 camaro ZL1 Red Hot M6
HERE IS WHAT I KNOW!

Q: I'm assuming this voids the warranty?

A: Yes, unless you purchase a new computer and flash that one.

Q: Thanks for information. I’m curious as to what the “setting” is actually referred to? For instance what is exactly changing (supercharger psi settings, electronic torque control, throttle delay/position, etc...).

A: I believe he adjusted the torque management at lower rpm, where it was limited. Under normal driving I have not noticed any negative drivability. I'm sure if you mash the peddle it would try to spin the tires more.

Q: Very interesting. I had same issues as noted earlier, i.e. Items 1 and 2 Now that you had it tuned, just curious what your new times in 60ft and 1/4 were? Also, what areas were adjusted to improve things? I appreciate everyone who is testing things on their cars to figure out why it is so hard to launch them effectively. Specifically for drag racing.

A: I have not had a dyno tune yet, I plan on a whipple and other mods.

Q: Great info, thank you for sharing. I am also curious if the traction control is constantly being activated now that ECU is not limiting the power. If not, makes me wonder why GM would have programmed it that way? I'm assuming to limit Parts breakage/warranty claims. Fingers crossed GM is reading this and will offer us M6 owners a similar tune/re-flash....(far-fetched I know)

A: The traction control only seem to kick in when the tires start to spin, as long as the tires hook up there is no difference. I also assume that GM tunes the car for longer life, remember this is the first Camaro that has "Drag Racing" actually in the owners manual.
rtm_tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #341
rtm_tinman

HERE ARE THE RESULTS OF THIS YEAR AT THE DRAG STRIP!

The following results takes into account the following:

1. Hero runs, miss shift runs, etc.
2. Are an average of the 3 best consistent runs of the night.

So the first time I went to the strip I had a CAI & ported TB. I had a very difficult time launching the car, either it bogged with launch control or with everything turned off it spun in 3 gears. This gave me the following best results:

12.434 @ 121.8
12.548 @ 120.3
12.678 @ 121.5

Averaged to 12.55 @ 121 with the Altitude density calculator correction it ran an average of 12.55 @ 121.5.

The Next time I went to the strip I had a CAI, ported TB, & drag radials. I still had a difficult time launching the car, but this time it bogged with launch control AND with everything turned off. This gave me the following best results:

12.251 @ 119.9
12.261 @ 120.9
12.532 @ 120.5

Averaged to 12.348 @ 120.4 with the Altitude density calculator correction it ran an average of 12.17 @ 122.3. So with everything turned off was the best results and with the additional traction I gained almost .400 on my time!

So the last time I went to the strip I had a CAI, ported TB, drag radials, & tuned out the low end torque management. I truly believe launch control is useless! BUT, with everything turned off, 4K rev limit, and slipping the clutch slightly this thing is really alive! This gave me the following best results:

12.124 @ 119.9
12.125 @ 120.4
12.184 @ 120.5

Averaged to 12.144 @ 120.2 with the Altitude density calculator correction it ran an average of 11.95 @ 122.2. No wheel spin, and knocked off a solid .100 to .200 off my 60'. No crazy bog and it just takes off!

Now I need to bring up the rev limit to 5K and see if the tires will hold and how it goes. I am completely satisfied with the difference, if anyone got into my car from a stock Z you WILL notice the performance and better drivability difference. When I seen my tuner guy next I'll ask exactly what he changed.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #342
Evolvedx27

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
HERE IS WHAT I KNOW!

Q: I'm assuming this voids the warranty?

A: Yes, unless you purchase a new computer and flash that one.

Q: Thanks for information. I’m curious as to what the “setting” is actually referred to? For instance what is exactly changing (supercharger psi settings, electronic torque control, throttle delay/position, etc...).

A: I believe he adjusted the torque management at lower rpm, where it was limited. Under normal driving I have not noticed any negative drivability. I'm sure if you mash the peddle it would try to spin the tires more.

Q: Very interesting. I had same issues as noted earlier, i.e. Items 1 and 2 Now that you had it tuned, just curious what your new times in 60ft and 1/4 were? Also, what areas were adjusted to improve things? I appreciate everyone who is testing things on their cars to figure out why it is so hard to launch them effectively. Specifically for drag racing.

A: I have not had a dyno tune yet, I plan on a whipple and other mods.

Q: Great info, thank you for sharing. I am also curious if the traction control is constantly being activated now that ECU is not limiting the power. If not, makes me wonder why GM would have programmed it that way? I'm assuming to limit Parts breakage/warranty claims. Fingers crossed GM is reading this and will offer us M6 owners a similar tune/re-flash....(far-fetched I know)

A: The traction control only seem to kick in when the tires start to spin, as long as the tires hook up there is no difference. I also assume that GM tunes the car for longer life, remember this is the first Camaro that has "Drag Racing" actually in the owners manual.
You still need a VIN to program a computer so it doesn't matter.
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:34 AM   #343
xp3nd4bl3

Drives: 2017 HBM ZL1 M6
I wonder if this is the table they modified? Here's what mine looks like from the factory:
Attached Images

xp3nd4bl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #344
Jmueller

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by xp3nd4bl3 View Post
I wonder if this is the table they modified? Here's what mine looks like from the factory:
Strange because you have a M6 car.
Jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #345
chmx

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Good detail here. I just picked up a ZL1 1LE and the bog stuff is very real and needs to be fixed ASAP. I was on the fence on the tune but thinking Whipple, tune and other items for sure now. I just came out of a C7 Z51 with a ECS putting down 710 hp with zero bog or issues. The bog happens where ever it feels like and makes you think you don't know how to drive a clutch. This is normal driving, not laying down 0-60 or pushing it at all.
chmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:35 AM   #346
Getinthur

Drives: 2017 ZL1
what program is your tuner using? I have a Roto-Fab CAI, E40, griptec 2.3 pulley. My car put down 622 hp, fastest time has been 11.38 @128 MPH 1.98 60' car bogs like crazy. We've tried to tune it out with HP Tuners but have had no luck.
Getinthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:51 AM   #347
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
HERE ARE THE RESULTS OF THIS YEAR AT THE DRAG STRIP!

The following results takes into account the following:

1. Hero runs, miss shift runs, etc.
2. Are an average of the 3 best consistent runs of the night.

So the first time I went to the strip I had a CAI & ported TB. I had a very difficult time launching the car, either it bogged with launch control or with everything turned off it spun in 3 gears. This gave me the following best results:

12.434 @ 121.8
12.548 @ 120.3
12.678 @ 121.5

Averaged to 12.55 @ 121 with the Altitude density calculator correction it ran an average of 12.55 @ 121.5.

The Next time I went to the strip I had a CAI, ported TB, & drag radials. I still had a difficult time launching the car, but this time it bogged with launch control AND with everything turned off. This gave me the following best results:

12.251 @ 119.9
12.261 @ 120.9
12.532 @ 120.5

Averaged to 12.348 @ 120.4 with the Altitude density calculator correction it ran an average of 12.17 @ 122.3. So with everything turned off was the best results and with the additional traction I gained almost .400 on my time!

So the last time I went to the strip I had a CAI, ported TB, drag radials, & tuned out the low end torque management. I truly believe launch control is useless! BUT, with everything turned off, 4K rev limit, and slipping the clutch slightly this thing is really alive! This gave me the following best results:

12.124 @ 119.9
12.125 @ 120.4
12.184 @ 120.5

Averaged to 12.144 @ 120.2 with the Altitude density calculator correction it ran an average of 11.95 @ 122.2. No wheel spin, and knocked off a solid .100 to .200 off my 60'. No crazy bog and it just takes off!

Now I need to bring up the rev limit to 5K and see if the tires will hold and how it goes. I am completely satisfied with the difference, if anyone got into my car from a stock Z you WILL notice the performance and better drivability difference. When I seen my tuner guy next I'll ask exactly what he changed.
Am I reading the results correctly...that it doesn't seem to have made any positive impact, on 1/4 times at least...?

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:18 PM   #348
rtm_tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp3nd4bl3 View Post
I think it looks like that somewhat. Numbers seem the same to what he told me.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #349
rtm_tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
Am I reading the results correctly...that it doesn't seem to have made any positive impact, on 1/4 times at least...?
One you put the DA calculator it was a difference of almost .2 on the strip. That was only from the tuning. The next I plan on maybe this week is to raise the rom to launch at 5k rpm.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:49 PM   #350
TxZL1

Drives: 2017 TRD 4runner, 2018 SW ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
This afternoon I emailed my contact for an update. Here's the response I was given:

"We need to review the data from your car with our performance team. Due to schedule conflicts it may still be a few weeks before we can do this. "

(Don't shoot the messenger.)

Any update !! Thanks
TxZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote