Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #57
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
Maybe there is more to this story than we are being told. I was at Virginia International Raceway last month with my Dealership owner. GM had a track day there for all the Southeast Dealers in North Carolina. They have it every year. The dealerships invite customers to the event. The customers bring their own cars they purchased from the supporting dealership. Some of the dealers bring cars as well. We spend 3/4 of the day running our cars around the north coarse at VIR. Heck, my Dealership owner road with me all day long. There were Camaros and Corvettes all over the place. One guy took his new truck around the track. It was a blast. I have never had an issue with my dealer doing warranty work. My car goes to the dealer with the harness bar mounted in it.
I'm with you and think there's more to the story than we're being told. The OP has made a total of three posts out of four pages in this thread. If a dealership told me my car was red flagged in their computer for warranty work, you can bet I would be immediately calling every GM phone number I could find until I got an answer as to why the red flag. I'm just a bit skeptical the red flag is because the car was seen on the track.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #58
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Rubber View Post
I agree with you. Correct me if I'm wrong with the PDR. Isn't the info just on the S card or is it saved in the unit?
The only data that you can view is what you record on the SD card. But I'm sure it is recording (video and audio) probably 30 minutes or more of data on it's own that you can't view.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #59
meadowz06

Drives: none
The dealership can, and will, pull the data if they think the car has been abused. We do it all of the time at my dealership.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #60
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowz06 View Post
The dealership can, and will, pull the data if they think the car has been abused. We do it all of the time at my dealership.
How do you guys determine abuse? Is there a standard or guideline you follow?

I just wonder how they decide what is abuse and how they know you are not at a track, which the car is designed for? How can you determine abuse from track, or even autocross?
Old 07-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #61
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowz06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
How do you guys determine abuse? Is there a standard or guideline you follow?

I just wonder how they decide what is abuse and how they know you are not at a track, which the car is designed for? How can you determine abuse from track, or even autocross?
...And what data specifically is your dealership pulling all the time?

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:04 AM   #62
TLSTWIN

Old 08-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #63
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
I'm with you and think there's more to the story than we're being told. The OP has made a total of three posts out of four pages in this thread. If a dealership told me my car was red flagged in their computer for warranty work, you can bet I would be immediately calling every GM phone number I could find until I got an answer as to why the red flag. I'm just a bit skeptical the red flag is because the car was seen on the track.
I completely agree with this.

Just because a vehicle was on track, red flag doesn't make any sense at all considering the fact that GM is PROMOTING you to take it to the track! Could be many reasons for the "red flag". Mods, reported/unreported accidents, driving around in first gear while hitting rev limiter for 10 minutes straight etc... We don't know what data they have pulled out of the ECU.

ECU stores every single data that the sensors collect. Air flow changes, throttle %, timing, fuel, a gagilian parameters... Without knowing the "other side" of the story, we are just theory crafting here...
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #64
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
I completely agree with this.

Just because a vehicle was on track, red flag doesn't make any sense at all considering the fact that GM is PROMOTING you to take it to the track! Could be many reasons for the "red flag". Mods, reported/unreported accidents, driving around in first gear while hitting rev limiter for 10 minutes straight etc... We don't know what data they have pulled out of the ECU.

ECU stores every single data that the sensors collect. Air flow changes, throttle %, timing, fuel, a gagilian parameters... Without knowing the "other side" of the story, we are just theory crafting here...

So at the same time are we agreeing that the "red flag" is a real thing?

If so, what do we know about that? How are the conditions for this typically met and identified? Can you just show up to service one day and have a red flag already there?

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #65
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I looked at many BMWs when I was a rep , esp the M-series, where we evaluated the ECM data for warranty. It's very simple to see if the car has been abused. You're looking for overspeed data, which means how many times the rev limiter kicked in, esp sudden ones which mean a missed shift. Certainly a few times on the Revllimter is acceptable, but tens of them Shows that the engine may be abused. It is also accompanied by other things like extreme tire wear on the rear, and in the case of the m3, an overspeed condition would sometimes send the rod through the block.

I don't see how they could "red flag" a car until they looked at the data. And I never had a dealer that went out a way to "red flag", it was always in response to a damaged engine.

Last edited by Glen e; 08-21-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:38 PM   #66
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Lots of speculation here. Wow. I think we should wait for a car to actually be turned away for warranty repair before we bench-race this subject into frenzy status. You won't have to go far(look 3 inches to left) to find my car has seen a track day (okay, maybe 2). At this point, there is absolutely zero definition to 'red flagged' that I can see. It has no laws of effect applied. If it is flagged, what action or reaction does that cause? Nothing that I can see here. Perhaps I missed the threads where someone was denied warranty on a stock Camaro?

As far as an abuse proclamation, the question I would ask just based on the language I've read in this thread is; where in the warranty language does it describe how to drive? If somebody is going to deny a claim based on them abusing the car, then should there not be a position on how to corner, rev, shift, engage/dis-engage, etc. the vehicle to be within the warranty guidelines? Sounds like a fairly easy subject to dispute in litigation.

That said, the manufacturer can do what they want, I suppose. It will always be you against their endless legal defense resources. They don't fear the individual customer one bit. The only language they fear is 'class-action' and 'recall'.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #67
spotswood

Drives: Lexus, ZL1 1LE, Ducati, Suzuki,
Can someone explain either on this post or pm me on how to deactivate or remove Onstar from my new 2018 camaro. I have 3 month free which came with the car and I did not even have the option of refusing. I have not even registered or called them.
How do I get it out of my car or totally deactivated?
spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #68
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
Can someone explain either on this post or pm me on how to deactivate or remove Onstar from my new 2018 camaro. I have 3 month free which came with the car and I did not even have the option of refusing. I have not even registered or called them.
How do I get it out of my car or totally deactivated?
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467634
Old 08-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #69
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
He never came back to update this thread?
Old 08-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #70
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_Nick3.8 View Post
All cars now by law have to have on board black boxes! I doubt insurance can see this info without consent as it falls under right to privacy!
Yea I work for a very reputable Insurance company, one of the biggest in all of the U.S. I can verify we do not pull info from Onstar or the "black box". If we did, 90% on these forums would be out of Insurance for speeding/racing/track use ect

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote