Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-14-2017, 01:17 PM   #379
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
When do we get the report back on how much faster it is?
Also, were expecting a 0-60 test
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #380
Turtle 2ss
TBC

Drives: 2017 Fifty 2ss
How much is the dealership charging you ?
Old 06-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #381
HyperSmurf

Drives: 2020 Riverside Blue Camaro 2SS
I put it in myself and the tune is covered in the cost of the part. So nothing today!
1971 Firebird Esprit w/ 455
HyperSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #382
Corbu

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post

- The tune is not needed for California residents and the tune is strictly for emission purposes only. It will have no bearing on performance.
So in this case, if the tune is needed only for emissions, there is no advantage going with the GM CAI vs aftermarket CAI except the warranty.

It is weird the tune does not affect the performance, someone should Dino the CAI with and without the tune and report the findings.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:26 PM   #383
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
After a 30 minute talk with GM Powertrain (866-453-4123) guys here's the info that was provided.

- The CAI can be sold in California and the prompt "Cannot be sold in California" is to advise customers that it will not pass the visual inspection and may not pass emissions when smogging your car. With that said, two of my dealers can order (drop-ship) without any problems. They mentioned to KEEP the stock intake for emission issues.

- The tune is not needed for California residents and the tune is strictly for emission purposes only. It will have no bearing on performance.

- The intake can be installed by the customer or the dealer and it will not void the 5/60k powertrain warranty.

- The 2016-2017 LT1 models will use the same part number (#84315275) and the only reason why it changed is because of availability. There will not be a different part number for the 16's or 17's.

That is what I was told and I confirmed with Matt from TGMPG as well.
Drop shipping is one thing, since it places liability on the customer. There are some vendors on here who won't even do that for CA customers. But you wouldn't be able to walk into a dealer in CA and order it I am betting. Either way that just makes it like all the other parts that aren't legal in CA.

Tune not needed for CA residents could be misleading to some. You have to have the tune for GM to honor the warranty. But neither the parts or the tune is legal for CA. So there is no reason anyone from CA would buy it to begin with unless they want to have "GM Performance" on their setup and deal with inspection issues.

Glad to hear no issues if you install it yourself. As long as it produces real gains, seems like a no brainer...for us in non-CARB states at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbu View Post
So in this case, if the tune is needed only for emissions, there is no advantage going with the GM CAI vs aftermarket CAI except the warranty.

It is weird the tune does not affect the performance, someone should Dino the CAI with and without the tune and report the findings.
Exactly. The only logical reason to buy this is to keep your warranty intact. If that's not a concern, then there are plenty of other options out there.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:30 PM   #384
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I guess you know more than the GM Powertrain guys that RichardOnee talked to for 30 mins!!
Old 06-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #385
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Greg View Post
I guess you know more than the GM Powertrain guys that RichardOnee talked to for 30 mins!!
Where did I contradict what he was told? All I did was clarify what didn't come out clear.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 06-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #386
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Tune not needed for CA residents could be misleading to some. You have to have the tune for GM to honor the warranty. But neither the parts or the tune is legal for CA. So there is no reason anyone from CA would buy it to begin with unless they want to have "GM Performance" on their setup and deal with inspection issues.

Glad to hear no issues if you install it yourself. As long as it produces real gains, seems like a no brainer...for us in non-CARB states at least.

Exactly. The only logical reason to buy this is to keep your warranty intact. If that's not a concern, then there are plenty of other options out there.
So I called GM Powertrain again as well as Matt from TGMPG. He spoke to the TAC regarding the same issue.

Since the tune is pretty much only for emissions it is not needed for California residents but will I still have my 5/60k powertrain warranty if let's say piston #3 goes out and I didn't get it tuned?

Yes since it's been tested by GM and the tune is for emission's only and shouldn't calibrate any lean conditions that can lead to an engine failure. With that said, worse case scenario is to put back on the stock intake if it comes down to that. Dealer don't make the calls, GM does. If GM see's a stock ECM, no tune done to the car and all it has is a GM performance part.. You should be okay.

Think of it this way, it's better to get towed in with a GM performance intake than a Rotofab installed in the eyes of my dealer and GM.

And with all of you living outside of Cali/Washington, etc.. you guys are lucky!
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:56 PM   #387
HyperSmurf

Drives: 2020 Riverside Blue Camaro 2SS
=)
1971 Firebird Esprit w/ 455
HyperSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #388
SuperSound

Quote:
So I called GM Powertrain again as well as Matt from TGMPG. He spoke to the TAC regarding the same issue.

Since the tune is pretty much only for emissions it is not needed for California residents but will I still have my 5/60k powertrain warranty if let's say piston #3 goes out and I didn't get it tuned?

Yes since it's been tested by GM and the tune is for emission's only and shouldn't calibrate any lean conditions that can lead to an engine failure. With that said, worse case scenario is to put back on the stock intake if it comes down to that. Dealer don't make the calls, GM does. If GM see's a stock ECM, no tune done to the car and all it has is a GM performance part.. You should be okay.

Think of it this way, it's better to get towed in with a GM performance intake than a Rotofab installed in the eyes of my dealer and GM.

And with all of you living outside of Cali/Washington, etc.. you guys are lucky!
For your 1st question, this is directly from TGMPG listing...

" If your sole purpose is to maintain vehicle warranty and have this cold air intake, you must allow a GM dealer to use the re calibration code with the kit and re-flash your ECM."

http://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/gmpp-i...e-new-84315275

So that tells me if you have it installed and something breaks, GM can deny it. Now if they can tell the intake was actually on the car at the time (assuming you swapped it out before bringing it in) or if your dealer is "cool" with it are completely other stories. My dealer might be cool if I had a Rotofab on it, but GM can and has (I believe) denied warranties over stuff like this.

This really is a special case because I've never know an OEM to offer a part that wasn't 50 state legal that covered under the Powertrain warranty. So I'm guessing GM wants to deter it from being installed in CARB states. It is already illegal for them to sell any part in CA that doesn't have CARB's E.O. If they said you were covered for warranty purposes in CA, they are essentially encouraging you to violate the law. This is probably why they make the tune required for warranty.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #389
LT4Greg

RichardOnee, you can't tell SuperSound anything! He knows everything
Old 06-14-2017, 06:13 PM   #390
LT4Greg

HyperSmurf, did you get your tune in the Camaro today? How does it run?
Old 06-14-2017, 06:17 PM   #391
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Yeah lol well he has his opinion and I respect that. The fact is, not everything is cut and dry and it really boils down to the relationship with the dealer.

I asked 3 dealers and each of them confirmed that they can install it as long as it's a Chevy Performance part. Regarding the tune, it's a gray area since it can't be done for emission states and its only for emissions.

True GM makes the call and like I mentioned earlier, it's a GM part so each service manager said it should be fine as long the ECU is not tampered with.

Each dealer is different, each claim is different so just hope for the best and expect the worse.

Last edited by Richard0nee; 06-14-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:35 PM   #392
SuperSound

Quote:
Guess you have poor reading comprehension or you are just trolling since you have provided zero insight in this thread.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk