Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 05-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #1
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Fire extinquisher location?

For the track. Where is the best spot so not to affect movement of passenger seat? Where r u guys mounting them? Thx!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
1LE caSSper

Drives: White 1LE
Passenger A pillar I thought personally?
1LE caSSper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
TrackClub

Thx! Anyone actually installed any yet?
Old 05-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE caSSper View Post
Passenger A pillar I thought personally?
Mounting it on the passenger A pillar is going to put it out of reach in an emergency, especially if you are wearing a harness. Also unless it is very small it will likely obstruct your view out of the right hand side of the vehicle. If you ever have a passenger in the vehicle during a situation where you would actually need it, such as a collision it could affect airbag deployment and/or it could be a danger to the passenger. You would also have to consider the mounting method in that location as I do not think it would be wise to drill mounting holes in a structure like that especially when there are other options.

Although it won't resolve the ease of access issue I think the most reasonable position for one is in the passenger side footwell. It should be trivial to fab up a mounting bracket that attaches to the front of the passenger seat mounting rails and still allow for full travel of the passenger seat. An alternative to that would be in an upright position in the passenger footwell by mounting it to the transmission tunnel hump. That would make it easier to access and still avoid interference with the passenger seat.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
TrackClub

Agree on all points. Has anyone done it yet? Any brackets avail on the market that fit? Thx!
Old 05-19-2017, 10:04 PM   #6
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Don't the windshield pillars have the airbag system in them, I would think if so you would want to avoid those areas with a fire extinguisher.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:50 PM   #7
1LE caSSper

Drives: White 1LE
Mount it to the headliner..?

No airbags / in reach
1LE caSSper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:42 AM   #8
IrishCoffee

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I've done quite a bit of tracking, but have never had a fire extinguisher in the car. I've really only seen this in full blown caged cars for the most part. Not street cars that are tracked a few times a year. Then again I haven't paid a ton of attention to them either.

Serious question... Is this something that people do for practical purposes? Or is this more of a fast and furious thing?

Anytime I have seen a fire at a track the driver got the **** out and the emergency crew handled it.

Maybe I'm crazy though... Not sure
IrishCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:11 AM   #9
TrackClub

Some clubs require them, such as my local PCA: if you don't have one, you don't run with them - period.
A friend did use his successfully on track, before marshals got to his car. But obviously due to a size its usefulness is limited, but NOT useless. I've always had one, but never had to use it - and that's a good thing Obviously if it is an inferno best to get the *** out asap and run for the hills. But if it is a brake on fire, a smoldering diff, or some fluid spilled on a hot block, even a small bottle can make a difference between a quick solution and a totaled car. Also, there is no guarantee that s**t will happen right in front of a marshal station - especially on longer tracks, etc. So if you got NOTHING all you will do is WATCH a fire get bigger for a few mins until cavalry arrives. And by then it could be too big for them too. It is a small insurance, but I will take it.

Last edited by TrackClub; 05-20-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:39 AM   #10
TrackClub

Here's a vid per my comment above. He pulls over, gets out, runs to passenger side, grabs a bottle and saves his brand new TA1 Vette. Now, if he had nothing, what do you think would be left of the car by the time marshals got there? My guess is not much.

https://vimeo.com/28578693
Old 05-20-2017, 07:28 AM   #11
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
It's very cheap insurance. I almost used mine at a recent autocross event when I saw smoke coming out from under the hood of another car. It turned out to be steam from their coolant letting go but I would have been in a position to help within seconds if it had been otherwise. Having one in your car may allow you to help someone else out in a situation like that.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #12
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
http://www.thebracketeer.com I'm not sure if this effects the movement of the passenger's seat.

This one states that it moves with the seat: http://www.bkauto.com/R_2155_Fire_Ex...o_p/r-2155.htm

Last edited by ZL1 1LE; 05-20-2017 at 09:09 AM.
ZL1 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #13
IrishCoffee

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Some clubs require them, such as my local PCA: if you don't have one, you don't run with them - period.
A friend did use his successfully on track, before marshals got to his car. But obviously due to a size its usefulness is limited, but NOT useless. I've always had one, but never had to use it - and that's a good thing Obviously if it is an inferno best to get the *** out asap and run for the hills. But if it is a brake on fire, a smoldering diff, or some fluid spilled on a hot block, even a small bottle can make a difference between a quick solution and a totaled car. Also, there is no guarantee that s**t will happen right in front of a marshal station - especially on longer tracks, etc. So if you got NOTHING all you will do is WATCH a fire get bigger for a few mins until cavalry arrives. And by then it could be too big for them too. It is a small insurance, but I will take it.
Makes sense. Thanks!
IrishCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #14
TrackClub

Thx for the links! I wonder if they fit Recaros...