Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-01-2017, 04:32 PM   #43
Zezima

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS
[QUOTE=rjinotti;9481965]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjellyfish212 View Post
RX company was sold and is under a new name.. I forget the name. Elite is the brand for catch cans as you can see above they are involved with a lot and are always willing to address questions on this forum. The only competition that compares is Mighty Mouse but that's only when you start getting into big performance HP mods. You can't beat the price, performance, looks and quality of an Elite brand catch can in my opinion. Here is my Elite can on my car providing engine protection.

Attachment 842047[/QUOTE

Hey Jayjelly thanks for info really appreciate it, couldn't find much information on an RX that wasn't outdated now I know why.. thanks again and that is one badass ride you have yourself there
mine was 20 dollars and looks almost like yours and does the job perfectly...
Zezima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:55 PM   #44
SharpOldNo7

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Convertible
[QUOTE=Zezima;9481967]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjinotti View Post

So how much oil has your $20 can caught in the last 18,000 miles or whatever you have caught. I want to compare with others as I may want to buy one.
SharpOldNo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:20 PM   #45
s/c ss

Drives: 13 ZL1, 10 Silverado LTZ, Chopper
Quote:
How do you know which catch can is best for the car? Meaning, Standard VS E2? Also, how do you know how many ports to choose?

Last edited by s/c ss; 01-01-2017 at 10:32 PM.
s/c ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:22 PM   #46
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/c ss View Post
How do you know which catch can is best for the car? Meaning, Standard VS E2? Also, how do you know how many ports to choose?
Just ask Elite, as they can recommend what one based on what you have done to your car. Examples: stock or car with added CAI exhaust etc.. would benefit with a basic can. As you build a car with say a Cam upgrade or a super charger or add turbo you have to basically add more protection so an upgrade can is used. Most cars only need a basic can. Elite has the E2 can now that gives you the options of 2-3 ports depending on how you set it up. If you see mine in my picture that's the Elite basic can... one port in and one port out. Best to ask Elite tho as they really know the science and best function to it all. All I can tell you is they work for sure. Plus I like the question at car shows "what's that thing".. I first reply it's a fluxcompassatater..lol
Old 01-01-2017, 11:28 PM   #47
Jayjellyfish212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezima View Post

Congrats! You are now catch can 20 dollar bill man!

Lets us know how that works out in 50k miles

Last edited by Jayjellyfish212; 01-01-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Jayjellyfish212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:30 PM   #48
Jayjellyfish212

[QUOTE=rjinotti;9481965]
Quote:
RX company was sold and is under a new name.. I forget the name. Elite is the brand for catch cans as you can see above they are involved with a lot and are always willing to address questions on this forum. The only competition that compares is Mighty Mouse but that's only when you start getting into big performance HP mods. You can't beat the price, performance, looks and quality of an Elite brand catch can in my opinion. Here is my Elite can on my car providing engine protection.

Attachment 842047[/QUOTE

Hey Jayjelly thanks for info really appreciate it, couldn't find much information on an RX that wasn't outdated now I know why.. thanks again and that is one badass ride you have yourself there
Your welcome! Thanks too!
Old 01-02-2017, 12:04 AM   #49
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F. View Post
I would argue that there are way more reasonably priced and equally effective cans out there. Do your due diligence and save a few bucks if the need arises.
"Equally Effective" is the main problem with your post. You see... certain "catch can" manufacturer's make only one thing; catch cans. They have fine tuned their products over the years to MAXIMIZE the effectiveness of their particular brand.

There is only one company left in the world that specializes in, and exclusively manufacturers this particular part. Elite Engineering. And not only are they the MOST effective, but they are also fully designed, sourced and manufactured in the good 'ol USA. Even their most basic product stinks of a quality usually found only in the highest levels of the glory days of American manufacturing, a mostly bygone era.

So, that knock off may look like a duck, and it may sound like a duck. But it's not a real duck. It's a reverse engineered air/oil seperator that is marginaly effective. You paid 20 - 80k for your vehicle. Why quibble over $40 or $50 when it means you can reap the rewards of a company that does one thing, and does it better than any other company in the world?

JFC... If you are going to buy a catch can, and if your car has a modern engine, you most certainly should, why would you go to the equivalent of Harbor Freight and buy some (Chinese Shit) and put that on your car?
Old 01-02-2017, 09:10 AM   #50
s/c ss

Drives: 13 ZL1, 10 Silverado LTZ, Chopper
Quote:
Just ask Elite, as they can recommend what one based on what you have done to your car. Examples: stock or car with added CAI exhaust etc.. would benefit with a basic can. As you build a car with say a Cam upgrade or a super charger or add turbo you have to basically add more protection so an upgrade can is used. Most cars only need a basic can. Elite has the E2 can now that gives you the options of 2-3 ports depending on how you set it up. If you see mine in my picture that's the Elite basic can... one port in and one port out. Best to ask Elite tho as they really know the science and best function to it all. All I can tell you is they work for sure. Plus I like the question at car shows "what's that thing".. I first reply it's a fluxcompassatater..lol
Old 01-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #51
RedHotRuby

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS LFX
Mr Stacy said it right. Why risk a cheap part? That is stupid. I've had my Camaro for about 3 years now. I bought an Elite Engineering catch can. It works all, I probably remove about a cup of oil every 6,000 miles. I've only emptied it twice though, maybe I need to do it more? Anyway install a decent part on your expensive engine. It's not worth the risk. On a side note, don't get it chromed, they do a lousy good chroming it. Mine has bubbled all over. It's a joke. But the catch can works good, it just looks like crap now.
RedHotRuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #52
Jayjellyfish212

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotRuby View Post
Mr Stacy said it right. Why risk a cheap part? That is stupid. I've had my Camaro for about 3 years now. I bought an Elite Engineering catch can. It works all, I probably remove about a cup of oil every 6,000 miles. I've only emptied it twice though, maybe I need to do it more? Anyway install a decent part on your expensive engine. It's not worth the risk. On a side note, don't get it chromed, they do a lousy good chroming it. Mine has bubbled all over. It's a joke. But the catch can works good, it just looks like crap now.
Wow your chrome plating bubbled? I got the chrome plating upgrade too but mine still looks new and no issues.. I wonder if there was a defect ( pre cleaning )in the plating process and you got a bad batch one? I'm sure Elite outsources the plating..
I'd get with Elite and see if they would swap it for you especially after paying for the upgrade chrome.

I have GM performance chrome valve covers and they were most likely outsourced for the chrome plating and honestly there are flaws I learned to live with but for what I paid top dollar no discount they should be flawless. I should have made them exchange them.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:11 AM   #53
RedHotRuby

Yeah, it bubbled. I'll go out and take a picture for proof. I don't want people to think I'm slandering Elite Engineering. BRB
Old 01-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #54
Jayjellyfish212

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotRuby View Post
Yeah, it bubbled. I'll go out and take a picture for proof. I don't want people to think I'm slandering Elite Engineering. BRB
The plating is outsourced so Elite has no blame or faulty.. but I'm sure they would exchange it for you.. if you don't let them know, then they won't know that the outsourced plating had a possibility of a bad batch. Did you touch base with Elite?
Old 01-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #55
O.F.

Drives: 2015 BLK/BLK 2SS/RS MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
"Equally Effective" is the main problem with your post. You see... certain "catch can" manufacturer's make only one thing; catch cans. They have fine tuned their products over the years to MAXIMIZE the effectiveness of their particular brand.

There is only one company left in the world that specializes in, and exclusively manufacturers this particular part. Elite Engineering. And not only are they the MOST effective, but they are also fully designed, sourced and manufactured in the good 'ol USA. Even their most basic product stinks of a quality usually found only in the highest levels of the glory days of American manufacturing, a mostly bygone era.

So, that knock off may look like a duck, and it may sound like a duck. But it's not a real duck. It's a reverse engineered air/oil seperator that is marginaly effective. You paid 20 - 80k for your vehicle. Why quibble over $40 or $50 when it means you can reap the rewards of a company that does one thing, and does it better than any other company in the world?

JFC... If you are going to buy a catch can, and if your car has a modern engine, you most certainly should, why would you go to the equivalent of Harbor Freight and buy some (Chinese Shit) and put that on your car?
My memory sucks (I'm old ya know) but the can that I am referring to is one available for around $75 on the auction site and identical to the one that I bought from Elite some years ago for my '03 Z06. It has filtering media and worked similarly as described in this thread. I dumped about 1/4 cup of oil every 1,000 miles per so.
How many thousands (millions???) of LS motors do you think are out there running today that will never see a catch can and will run normally through their usable life? I would guess quite a few, don't you?
I vote waste of money.
O.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #56
RedHotRuby

I went out to the car and took the can off and emptied it. About 4 ounces of sludgy oil came out. I emptied it last in August or so, maybe it's a waste of time, O. F. and I should just let the sludge get sprayed all over my values, I dunno.

Anyway, I took some pictures of the can so I don't throw up baseless claims against E.E., the top where the lettering is, is bubbling up and the side of the can is bubbling up. I'm just saying, if you get the can just don't waste any extra money on extras. That's the gimmick part of it all. This can is about 2 years old that i took pictures of, the chrome plating is a rip-off. According to O. F. it's all a gimmick so who knows.