Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 06-19-2016, 10:47 PM   #1
rod4

Drives: 2016 LT RS A8 TECH PACK
My extremely dangerous, self revving Camaro

https://youtu.be/nCLcQxbkd3o

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my car?
I'm answering all questions.
Been going back and forth with the dealer, since they have been unsuccessful in duplicating this behavior they've been nonchalant. Usually happens after long drives, and without warning. Car takes off on me.
Definitely not cruise control related, the engine runs really rough and shakes when this happens, also bogs and stalls out. It's scary it's revved as high as 3.5k RPM without my foot on the gas!

This is another video recorded a different day previously to the video above. This time a low, rough idle like the engine was struggling to remain running. At the beginning of the video it's easy to see how much the RPMs were dancing slightly up and down, the engine was shaking the entire car pretty badly.

https://youtu.be/f_46AexB5JM

the dealer said they found 2 codes stored in the computer I think they were P0018 and P0016. he said he cleared them and "updated" the computer but it's happened again since then.

Last edited by rod4; 06-20-2016 at 01:54 AM.
rod4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
KyleL

Drives: Slow
I know this may sound simple but have you tried disconnecting the battery and letting the car reset itself?
Old 06-19-2016, 11:36 PM   #3
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
The problem is you are wearing socks with sandals, take them socks off and problem should clear right up.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:39 PM   #4
rod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
I know this may sound simple but have you tried disconnecting the battery and letting the car reset itself?
I believe the dealer has, I myself, no.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:39 PM   #5
DannyB

Drives: Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod4 View Post
https://youtu.be/nCLcQxbkd3o

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my car?
I'm answering all questions.
Been going back and forth with the dealer, since they have been unsuccessful in duplicating this behavior they've been nonchalant. Usually happens after long drives, and without warning. Car takes off on me.
Had it happen to me a long time ago with a 1992 Lumina. It was because I had left the cruise control on and for some reason it just took off on me in normal driving conditions. Luckily I didn't hit anyone as I was accelerating without being able to control it. I turned off cruise and disconnected the battery for a few hours and it never happened again.
DannyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:41 PM   #6
rod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
The problem is you are wearing socks with sandals, take them socks off and problem should clear right up.
I'm doing the public justice, dude, I walk down the street with my feet out there'd be people running screaming and calling the police.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:43 PM   #7
rod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
Had it happen to me a long time ago with a 1992 Lumina. It was because I had left the cruise control on and for some reason it just took off on me in normal driving conditions. Luckily I didn't hit anyone as I was accelerating without being able to control it. I turned off cruise and disconnected the battery for a few hours and it never happened again.
definitely not cruise control related. the engine runs rough and shakes really hard as you can see when I film the engine when this happens. it's happened randomly, on 3 separate occasions so far.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:47 PM   #8
DannyB

Drives: Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod4 View Post
definitely not cruise control related. the engine runs rough and shakes really hard as you can see when I film the engine when this happens. it's happened randomly, on 3 separate occasions so far.
Not on a very good internet connection right now; didn't watch the video.

Hope you get it figured out!!!
DannyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:25 AM   #9
Wiskey

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
It seems like it's struggling to find idle. I had a car once with a sticky air bleed valve that controls idle speed that would do this, but I very much doubt that the camaro has the same old technology that car did.

Whiskey
Wiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:30 AM   #10
vince3

Drives: Hyper Blue 16' M6 1ss
Vacuum leak is my guess.
vince3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:32 AM   #11
warj1990

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
I can give a few suggestions but I don't know of anyone that can "internet troubleshoot"

Start simple: Run 93 octane fuel, or highest in your area. If you can find a gas station with separate hoses that may help (most stations now have a single hose for any fuel grade selected- good chance last purchase was low grade).

Second suggestion is you have an air leak: The "hose" (or leak) is heating allowing a small crack to become large enough for erratic idle.

The last thing is the check engine light will not come on until the next day. So of the video posted it should spit out "Rough idle code" the next day. (whatever code that is).

I know it isn't much to work with, but maybe a start to look into.
warj1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:34 AM   #12
joehouse

Drives: 1986 Trans Am
try looking at the throttle body first and see if its stuck open, then if that's not the issue, look at the gas pedal and see if its stuck down, easy stuff to check first
Old 06-20-2016, 12:49 AM   #13
rod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince3 View Post
Vacuum leak is my guess.
no vacuum leaks. no check engine light ever.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:51 AM   #14
rod4

Quote:
Originally Posted by warj1990 View Post
I can give a few suggestions but I don't know of anyone that can "internet troubleshoot"

Start simple: Run 93 octane fuel, or highest in your area. If you can find a gas station with separate hoses that may help (most stations now have a single hose for any fuel grade selected- good chance last purchase was low grade).

Second suggestion is you have an air leak: The "hose" (or leak) is heating allowing a small crack to become large enough for erratic idle.

The last thing is the check engine light will not come on until the next day. So of the video posted it should spit out "Rough idle code" the next day. (whatever code that is).

I know it isn't much to work with, but maybe a start to look into.
appreciate your input. I'm positive it's neither of these issues. I've driven the car for hours straight and its run perfectly fine. I use the same gas from the same stations since I got the car with only 12 miles. this has happened randomly 3 times so far over the past 4-5 weeks. also has never had a check engine light