Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-16-2016, 11:18 AM   #1
Evoking

Drives: 15 GX460, 15 Lambo Huracan, 13 E
Z/28 or V3 CTS-V?

Hey peeps,

I'm craving some American iron. Haven't had one since my C5 Z06 and Viper GTS. I have an Huracan, Lexus GX and MB E350 Bluetec. So my options are:

1) Keep Bluetec (or get used CLS M3 etc) sedan AND get a Z/28

2) Replace Bluetec with 16/17 CTS-V

In option #1 I have 2 toys to flank the Huracan and suv. The V is awesome. But so is the Z/28. A used sedan like a CLS550 is plenty of car and I have a Z to boot. But the V is badass!

What would you do?
Evoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #2
BRN2SPD

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary Edition
I'm a Camaro guy and all but I'd go for the CTSV
-K&N Intake
-Resonator Delete
-Stance SF03 Titanium Wheels
2002 35th Anniversary SS Convertible
-SLP Performance Package
1991 Z28 Convertible
-Cam
-Heads
-Custom 350 Engine Build
BRN2SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Option #1 if you plan to track the car, road course. Texas Mile, CTS-V.

Daily driver?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
zcarczar

Drives: 15 Z/28
I have both,

I got my Z two years ago tomorrow and I absolutely love the car but it sucks for a DD, the ride, and lack of bluetooth audio streaming and everything else kind of kill it for me for that. Our roads are really bad in my area, and it can be a pain getting in and out of driveways with the splitter and the car being so low and stiff. It's not uncommon for it to pull tires off the ground.

Now onto the V, I've had it for a month and 900 miles on it so far. It is a phenomenal car, I absolutely love it and it gets DD duties split between it and my truck. It's fast, rides great when in touring mode, quiet on the highway, sounds great and did I mention its fast? It's also got all the tech goodies I like and I haven't really had an issue with the front carbon splitter in the front with driveways and whatnot.

If I were you I would figure out a way to get both, they are both similar cars but completely opposite at the same time. The Z is brash, rough and not completely refined but is brutally fast on the track. The V is polished, smooth and an absolute brute in terms of handling an acceleration. It's pretty fun deciding which one to drive, I took the Z to the track on Sunday and drove the V to work on Monday.

Any other questions let me know, you can't go wrong with either one.
zcarczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
hollywdv

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 - Silver
as a previous V owner, i vote for the V, but unlike zcarczar, i can't afford both and/or have the garage space. i went nuts with my V (full build plus full suspension) so going to the Z has been pretty special. "street legal race car with warranty"!! i'm in LA too and dd my Z. since i had coilovers with my V, i can live with the ride quality and its height. so, just a different perspective.

if given the opportunity (and the space), i would get a beater to drive around without having to worry about where to park, but this would mean i get to drive my Z even less, right?? can't win!

OP, you've got quality problems! good luck!
hollywdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
The Z/28 will probably get as much attention as your Huracan .

That car is just an out of this world looking vehicle, z/28 no doubt.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:53 PM   #7
AustexaSS
Build Date - Dec 08, 2014

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #1007, Black A/C Stereo
I vote for number 1 just because I want to hear your comparison review of the Z/28 in relation to your other cars after you have driven it a few times and completed a track day.
AustexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #8
Evoking

Drives: 15 GX460, 15 Lambo Huracan, 13 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcarczar View Post
I have both,

I got my Z two years ago tomorrow and I absolutely love the car but it sucks for a DD, the ride, and lack of bluetooth audio streaming and everything else kind of kill it for me for that. Our roads are really bad in my area, and it can be a pain getting in and out of driveways with the splitter and the car being so low and stiff. It's not uncommon for it to pull tires off the ground.

Now onto the V, I've had it for a month and 900 miles on it so far. It is a phenomenal car, I absolutely love it and it gets DD duties split between it and my truck. It's fast, rides great when in touring mode, quiet on the highway, sounds great and did I mention its fast? It's also got all the tech goodies I like and I haven't really had an issue with the front carbon splitter in the front with driveways and whatnot.

If I were you I would figure out a way to get both, they are both similar cars but completely opposite at the same time. The Z is brash, rough and not completely refined but is brutally fast on the track. The V is polished, smooth and an absolute brute in terms of handling an acceleration. It's pretty fun deciding which one to drive, I took the Z to the track on Sunday and drove the V to work on Monday.

Any other questions let me know, you can't go wrong with either one.
I have thought about both. But I feel they are too similar - although very different I know. Both American and V8. I usually like diversity in the stable. In fact, I considered a GTR as the "daily toy" to keep miles off the Lambo. But its too similar in that its AWD, rapid trans, super fast etc - just has a back seat. I arrived at Z/28 because its a departure from the H in every way. Rwd, V8, manual, track focus etc.

If I get Z I can still get a used CLS AMG for about the same price as just getting a V. And an AMG sedan is no slouch! Hmmm. Plus the V will drop a lot more than a Z/28 which has already fallen 30% to $50k. So fiscally the Z and another used already depreciated sedan make more sense. But the V is SICK.
Evoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #9
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
CTS-V 1000%
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #10
camaro500

Drives: 2017 Jaguar F Type R Tuned 498awhp
cool factor and track Z28. CTS-V for driving the kids to school in RECORD time lol
camaro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:28 PM   #11
zcarczar

Drives: 15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
I have thought about both. But I feel they are too similar - although very different I know. Both American and V8. I usually like diversity in the stable. In fact, I considered a GTR as the "daily toy" to keep miles off the Lambo. But its too similar in that its AWD, rapid trans, super fast etc - just has a back seat. I arrived at Z/28 because its a departure from the H in every way. Rwd, V8, manual, track focus etc.

If I get Z I can still get a used CLS AMG for about the same price as just getting a V. And an AMG sedan is no slouch! Hmmm. Plus the V will drop a lot more than a Z/28 which has already fallen 30% to $50k. So fiscally the Z and another used already depreciated sedan make more sense. But the V is SICK.
I don't see the V's dropping in value like the Z's did. The V2's have maintained a strong resale at around 60% of MSRP in 3 years for a domestic luxury car. The Z was a niche car that they built quite a few too many, the V is also limited down in production substantially. It took 7 months for my order to get fulfilled and there is very little inventory on the ground from what my dealer has told me. I went a different route this time, I bought the Z and actually leased the V as I'll be putting a ton of miles on it and I'll be ready to get out of it when the lease is up and get whatever I want or need at that time.

Have you been able to drive either one yet? If you were closer I would say let's go take them out. It's pretty substantial the difference between the two. Although the CLS AMG is a pretty sweet car, I had a CLS 550 for awhile a few years ago and really liked it but got rid of it for a V2 coupe, the MB dealer is over an hour away from me and the Caddy dealer is down the street.
zcarczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:02 PM   #12
wrtowman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
CTS-V
2011 SGM Camaro 1SS/RS A6 - Vengeance Racing built/tuned. 590RWHP/560RWTQ, ADM LSA Conversion, 2.5 Grip-Tec, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM, FIC1000, VRPD2 Cam and LS3 Conversion with all the internal goodies, American Racing 1 7/8 Headers, no cats, SW Retro Cat Back, ADM Intake, AFCO HX, Varimax Pump, Rotofab Reservoir, B&M Transmission Cooler, VMAX TB, Elite Engineering CC, BMR LCAs, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, DSS 1000hp axles, ZL1 Bumper and Sideskirts, Night Owl Halos, Matte Black 20" Rohana RC-22 with 20x10-275s/20x11-315s, R1 Concept Premier Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.
wrtowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:13 PM   #13
Crushinator

Drives: '15 Z/28 #783
I wouldn't drive mine everyday. No way, no how. If you're driving it everyday, get the V.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #14
phillyflyer

Drives: 2015 Z28
You might have some time to ponder your decision......

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/06/...ally-sold-out/