Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
SASQUATCHelvis

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Warranty repair question

So a couple months ago my car started having a knocking noise so I took it into the shop to get it checked out. The issue was diagnosed as a differential issue and my car was in the shop for 3(!) weeks. I got the car back and a week later the noise was back and now it's going into it's 4th week of being in the shop for a new transmission. The dealer was saying they had to send the parts to GM performance for testing or something of the sort and then new parts had to be shipped from California.

Ultimately my question is why in the world has my car been in the shop for 7 out of the last 8 weeks for fixes that should take a week max? Is this normal or is the dealership my car is sitting at just lying to me about their timeline since it's a warranty repair? Thanks guys. I'm hoping they'll give me something as payment for my car sitting idle for so long, but I doubt it.
SASQUATCHelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:03 PM   #2
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
Seems excessively long to me. I'd go down to the dealer and poke around a little, start nicely asking some questions. Ask your service advisor, then go ask the service manager, then go ask the parts guy to see if everyone's story is the same. Are you in a loaner? Is your service advisor giving you daily updates?
Old 06-09-2016, 04:07 PM   #3
SASQUATCHelvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcsi99 View Post
Seems excessively long to me. I'd go down to the dealer and poke around a little, start nicely asking some questions. Ask your service advisor, then go ask the service manager, then go ask the parts guy to see if everyone's story is the same. Are you in a loaner? Is your service advisor giving you daily updates?
My adviser has been pretty consistent with updates which makes me think it's just taking a while to get parts and that I'm worrying for nothing, but it's really frustrating missing so much of track season, and a good deal of a very brief Michigan summer. They have me in a loaner, but it's an Equinox, hardly an exciting or enjoyable driving experience.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #4
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

That transmission is specific to the 1LE, so it could take some time to get.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:18 PM   #5
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

I gave my parts department my VIN and had them look up a transmission assembly and see what the availability was. GM parts tracker shows the transmission in stock in Pontiac Michigan.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:18 PM   #6
SASQUATCHelvis

Quote:
That transmission is specific to the 1LE, so it could take some time to get.
Ah, very possible.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
SASQUATCHelvis

So the final part needed to fix my car is on back order. Lovely. This whole experience has been an adventure in "It'll be ready tomorrow"

My car has been in the shop for more than 7 out of the last 8 weeks now and I'm curious if anyone has experience with GM compensating them for their time without the car. I've made 2 car payments now on a car that's sitting in a shop without a transmission and I've missed a couple of events I had prepaid for due to the time it's taken to fix the car. I love my car, but this experience has been incredibly frustrating to say the least.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:58 PM   #8
SASQUATCHelvis

Quote:
I gave my parts department my VIN and had them look up a transmission assembly and see what the availability was. GM parts tracker shows the transmission in stock in Pontiac Michigan.
If GM had just approved a whole new transmission as oposed to rebuilding mine I probably would've been on the road 2 weeks ago.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:58 PM   #9
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

I'd contact GM customer assistance and see if they will make a payment for you. If your events are track events, I'd leave that info out.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #10
SASQUATCHelvis

Quote:
I'd contact GM customer assistance and see if they will make a payment for you. If your events are track events, I'd leave that info out.
Do you have a number I could contact them at? I wouldn't expect them to pay for track events haha.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #11
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

800-222-1020