Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #15
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Eh kind of high. I bought discount stripes before on line and have had good luck with them, though Ebay no...the stripes come in smashed boxes repeatedly until you give up..LOL shippers too stupid for tubes. I am happy with what I have from American car craft through phastek. I would suggest buying good stripes then asking window tinters how much...... My stripes $250, install maybe $75.

OH and these stripes are glossy and waxable.....
Old 04-06-2016, 06:34 PM   #16
8balldeluxe

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Victory Red
Got mine from eBay, promotorsports $55, put on myself, looks professional.
Speed Engineering Headers w/ Texas Speed HFC's ~ Flowmaster 2 1/2" cat back w/Flowmaster Super 10's ~ Cold Air Inductions Intake w/ Scoop and WW relocate ~ VMAX CNC Spiral PTB ~ Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/Hawk pads ~ ZL1 Spoiler ~ SCTX4 RDP Tuned
8balldeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:45 PM   #17
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8balldeluxe View Post
Got mine from eBay, promotorsports $55, put on myself, looks professional.
Looks great!
Old 04-06-2016, 06:56 PM   #18
Timbo10835

Drives: 2014 LS
The OEM rally stripes are damn near $500. I'm really happy with my aftermarket 3M stripes for $140. $80 professionally installed
Timbo10835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #19
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo10835 View Post
The OEM rally stripes are damn near $500. I'm really happy with my aftermarket 3M stripes for $140. $80 professionally installed
Iam going to have to look in to this. The small stripe around the main stripe front corner coming up. Matter of time until I have to replace them.
witenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:44 PM   #20
TheSmokingSuns

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 2011 Camaro 2LT
Thinking about getting new rally stripes but I hear that going over the cowls of the hood is tough lol
TheSmokingSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #21
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
fender stripes about $150 and about $200 for the center stripe... It's not just black either, if you pay attention he layered a first stripe of red to give it a custom look

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #22
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudderFinger View Post
Those look good but looks like someone installed Mustang stripes
Better tell the factory.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:28 AM   #23
grahak2

Drives: 2021 scatpack challenger 6spd cinna
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudderFinger View Post
Those look good but looks like someone installed Mustang stripes
I got the same ones on mine. Not sure if there are mustang/Camaro/challenger stripes that are specified for each make but I like his and mine anyway.

To the OP. Mine were $500 on the window sticker.

Also if they are done like the factory ones, to me they are easy to maintain. I wash my car normally. Then when I wax I try not to get any on them but if I do just wipe it off.

I got black ones too so they get a little dusty sometimes so I just spray a little detailer on them that will work on vinyl and wipe off.

Mine are about 6 months old and look new. On the front bumper I have a few small areas where rocks hit and you can see a little paint through. But you would have to really notice to see. Just wanted to let you know that they are nice but rocks hitting them could show some wear after the years.

But if you didn't have the stripes the rocks would be hitting the paint so maybe doesn't matter because it would show wear either way.

I know a lot of people don't like them on this site, but I do.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Kevin
grahak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:35 AM   #24
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
Had mine painted on for $900. Stickers are for kids.

No I don't care about resell.
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:50 AM   #25
109cam

Drives: SS camaro
Thought about getting racing stripes done

Paint them on
109cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #26
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahak2 View Post
I got the same ones on mine. Not sure if there are mustang/Camaro/challenger stripes that are specified for each make but I like his and mine anyway.

Kevin
Technically they are "LeMans" or "Cunningham stripes". The original Mustang Shelby GT350's were painted that way (white with twin longitudinal blue stripes) as a tribute to the international racing paint colors/scheme used by the old Cunningham race cars in the early '50's.

History Lesson: the origin of the Racing Stripe:

"At the time, white with blue stripes was considered to be the American road racing colors in international racing so when Peter Brock came on with Shelby it was determined that all the 1965 GT 350's were to be painted white in color. Brock had an idea... One of his first cars was painted white with two wide blue stripes. It was painted this way as a tribute to the Briggs Cunningham road race cars of the 1950's, ..."

So in other words: They did not put "Mustang Stripes" on a Mustang, they Put LeMans and/or Cunningham Stripes on a Mustang (and on Vipers, and...).

Another stripe issue I see sometimes, the single stripe on one side. This was done as a drivers aid. They would commonly tape/mark the top of the steering wheel. If the car started spinning the driver would literally try to align the stripe with the road ahead, and get that steering wheel mark lined up with the stripe/road at just the right time to help recover from the spin. So when you see things like in the picture below....
Attached Images

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 04-07-2016 at 09:58 AM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #27
High Magnitude

Drives: 2014 2LT Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield03 View Post
Had mine painted on for $900. Stickers are for kids.

No I don't care about resell.
K

Old 04-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #28
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Technically they are "LeMans" or "Cunningham stripes". The original Mustang Shelby GT350's were painted that way (white with twin longitudinal blue stripes) as a tribute to the international racing paint colors/scheme used by the old Cunningham race cars in the early '50's.

History Lesson: the origin of the Racing Stripe:

"At the time, white with blue stripes was considered to be the American road racing colors in international racing so when Peter Brock came on with Shelby it was determined that all the 1965 GT 350's were to be painted white in color. Brock had an idea... One of his first cars was painted white with two wide blue stripes. It was painted this way as a tribute to the Briggs Cunningham road race cars of the 1950's, ..."

So in other words: They did not put "Mustang Stripes" on a Mustang, they Put LeMans and/or Cunningham Stripes on a Mustang (and on Vipers, and...).

Another stripe issue I see sometimes, the single stripe on one side. This was done as a drivers aid. They would commonly tape/mark the top of the steering wheel. If the car started spinning the driver would literally try to align the stripe with the road ahead, and get that steering wheel mark lined up with the stripe/road at just the right time to help recover from the spin. So when you see things like in the picture below....
Interesting! Thanks for the history lesson. No sarcasm; meant sincerely!
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote