Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-21-2016, 01:00 PM   #15
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
From my admitedly quick search I found 4 brands that had both 285/35R 20's and 305/35R 20's available in a performance summer only tire.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G2
Hankook Ventus R-S3
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
Pirelli P Zero

Bridgestone is also JUST starting to roll out 20in sizes for their RE71R's so hopefully by the time the 2017 1LE is available they will have them in 285 sizes. (Bridgestone has NO 305's in this tire on any wheel diameter yet so no one knows if that will be available in the future)

I have driven on the Goodyears and Hankooks on my 2014 1LE and I personally like the Hankooks better. (I have used both of them for autocross and daily driving) They have a marginally wider tread width than the Goodyear and 200 treadwear vs 220 on the Goodyears. The lower treadwear rating on the Hankook could be good or bad depending on what you want from the tire though. (lower treadwear usually means the tire will wear out faster but perform better) Camaro drivers that are serious autocrossers are ditching both the Goodyears and Hankooks and switching to 19in wheels so they can use the Bridgestone RE71R's in 285/35R 19's. It's an expensive option but would make a larger variety of tires available. It's still probably a year away before anyone takes delivery on a 2017 1LE so I would revisit this then and see if things have changed.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #16
Boxmonkey

Drives: 2015 STI
Thanks for the input! Won't the stock tires be 30 series instead of 35? Either way all four of the ones you've listed are still available. I haven't started looking at 19s yet. I'd rather not spend that much if I can avoid it and as you've said, the car is still a good ways away. But thanks for the info on the RE71!
Boxmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #17
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
35s would just have a slightly taller sidewall/profile. You can compare the sizes under the various tire specs at TR.

Select the tire, then go to 'Specs' and you'll see what's different between the 30 and 35 profiles.

--kC
(But still not a fan of any of those listed in 35)
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #18
aestil

Drives: White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
35s would just have a slightly taller sidewall/profile. You can compare the sizes under the various tire specs at TR.

Select the tire, then go to 'Specs' and you'll see what's different between the 30 and 35 profiles.

--kC
(But still not a fan of any of those listed in 35)
Right but that would change the diameter of the wheel + tire and therefore not be advisable. It's one thing to go one size slightly wider, it's another to change the rolling circumference
of the cars shoes.
aestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #19
Boxmonkey

For autocross, changing the diameter of wheel plus or minus an inch or the diameter of the tire is allowed but not the width. For stock class...at least I think.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:03 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The profile may be a bit different, but the '12-'15 ZL1s rode on 285 fronts, and 305 rears...perhaps adding that to your resources to search from might yield more results?
Old 03-21-2016, 07:40 PM   #21
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxmonkey View Post
For autocross, changing the diameter of wheel plus or minus an inch or the diameter of the tire is allowed but not the width. For stock class...at least I think.
That is correct for the SCCA Street classes. (the 2016 Camaro SS is classed in FS or F-Street, no idea what the 2017 1LE might be in though) You are allowed to go up or down one inch in diameter but must maintain the same width wheel, you can change the offset by + or - 7mm though. You can also put whatever tire you can fit on the wheel under those conditions. For instance my 2014 1LE comes stock with 285's on all 4 corners but I know people with 1LEs that run 305's on all 4 corners and it's perfectly legal.

Even if you don't have your Camaro yet or are waiting on the 2017 1LE you should still get out there and start going to autocross events if that is your eventual plan. Seat time is more valuable than just about any mod you can do and the SCCA season has already started in most places. Central Carolinas Region SCCA (where I am) had their first event last month and our next event is on April 2nd and 3rd at Zmax Arena in Charlotte. I could use a hand fending off all of the Mustangs in FS in this region!
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2016, 06:40 AM   #22
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestil View Post
Right but that would change the diameter of the wheel + tire and therefore not be advisable. It's one thing to go one size slightly wider, it's another to change the rolling circumference
of the cars shoes.
If you're going to tell people something isn't advisable, you should take the time to explain why you feel that way - and let them make up their own mind, otherwise it starts a chain of "I read on the internets that you shouldn't do it" which then turns into "I read on the internet your car will be completely uncontrollable" which turns into "I read on the internet that cars end up in ditches and warranties are voided if you do this and GM will take your car away".

Going from a 305/30-20 to a 305/35-20 would be a 1/2" sidewall difference (and 35's are rather thin as they are). IMHO, good for pothole resistance, but you may get a little more sidewall flex (to some people this may or will not matter as much as 35 is still rather 'skinny' and may not even be feelable in the seat dyno).

Instead of reading 60, your speedo would be reading 57.36mph.

That said, it will also act as a gearing change, where you'll end up with taller gears...

On the flip side, shorter tires will give you your desired of lowered gears, as to keep you in the meat of the powerband (almost a torque multiplier), like in autox settings where the SS has such a tall 2nd gear, getting 19s that can be in the 26"+ dia. range, yet still wide enough, may be a *good* thing making top of 2nd not 77mph but around 72mph (where most courses try to keep cars in the 60ish mph range, this could be a very good thing).

So, other than that, why is it simply "not advisable" - seeing as the above circumstances aren't inherently 'bad' if you know what you're changing? Keeping in mind, some people may WANT these characteristics, like "Man, I have to keep shifting to 4th in right before this corner, but if I had taller tires, I could keep it in 3rd..." Yes, people actually do think of that.

--kC

Last edited by Imp; 03-22-2016 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #23
Boxmonkey

You're right, Egon, I've got a lot to learn. I've done about 4 events in my current car. The season hasn't started for us yet. I plan on going to as many events as I can and even considering the evo phase 1 class. I actually started looking at tires just to see how much they would be and noticed not many choices. My current car has a ton of options.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #24
Imp
Dodges all the cones

You're only *thinking* doing Phase I? Shouldn't be a decision. Do it. Learn a lot, and LISTEN to what they are saying. Clear your head before going in there, throw out what you think you know and they will build you into a faster pilot.

There are some core concepts taught (or re-taught if you've had some good local instructors) that everyone should know about how to piece together all the typical elements on a course. Worth every penny if you want to be in the upper part of the results consistently. It may take a few events to digest and implement what they taught you, but you will have a lightbulb moment, and you'll get faster.

--kC
Old 03-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #25
chetly

Drives: 2004 Z06
Evo school is by far the best upgrade to buy for you and your car. Mike Junior Johnson is a class act and he training curriculum and teaching staff is chock full of national champions.

If you've only done a handful of event it would be money well spent.
chetly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:47 PM   #26
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetly View Post
No plans as far as I know for 20in in those options. Bridgestone has the 285 in 19in and are planning on releasing a 305 in 19 as well. Rival has nothing larger than 18in planned...
285/35/20 and 295/30/20 Bridgestone RE71R are scheduled for 8/1/16 release.
Hoosier says they should have some 20's fall 2016.
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:25 AM   #27
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL1LE View Post
285/35/20 and 295/30/20 Bridgestone RE71R are scheduled for 8/1/16 release.
Hoosier says they should have some 20's fall 2016.
Good news. Over the winter there's hope they may make some 305 (or 315) 20s.

I'd rather have wide 19s, but beggars can't be choosers.

--kC
Old 05-05-2016, 06:37 PM   #28
sspddmn

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE and 1991 Z28
I read through this thread and no ones mentioned the new NITTO NT555 G2's. Very nice looking tires. On paper it looks like a great performing tire.

Discount Tire Direct has the fronts listed for $260 and the rears for $242 (dont ask me why the price difference is reversed, that's what they have it listed for.)

Nitto website: http://www.nittotire.com/passenger-t...formance-tire/

Discount Tire Direct:
Fronts: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...%2FPerformance

Rears: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...%2FPerformance