Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-16-2016, 11:18 AM   #239
John Galtman
Banned

Drives: s coupe
Hope, this gen looks better in person. Because when I look at the pics, I feel that this is what bugs bunny would love 2 drive in looney tunes. It looks too cartoonish and not photogenic.
Like the interior though , except for the roof over the dashboard. It is 2 high. Would be good for an suv, but not for the camaro.
Also this car NEEDS full led quad headlights as an option

And I hope that this is not a track oriented car like the new z06 and does not have the parachute like the vette has. Too bad that GM thinks that a parachute in a supercar is a good idea. The z06 is slow as *uck after the 125-130 mph. Even the cts v is faster on high speeds.
John Galtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #240
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galtman View Post
Hope, this gen looks better in person. Because when I look at the pics, I feel that this is what bugs bunny would love 2 drive in looney tunes. It looks too cartoonish and not photogenic.
Like the interior though , except for the roof over the dashboard. It is 2 high. Would be good for an suv, but not for the camaro.
Also this car NEEDS full led quad headlights.

And I hope that this is not a track oriented car like the new z06 and does not have the parachute like the vette has. Too bad that GM thinks that a parachute in a supercar is a good idea. The z06 is slow as *uck after the 125-130 mph. Even the cts v is faster on high speeds.
Looks are subjective. I think it looks amazing. I'm pretty sure they are marketing it as a very capable track car. I mean, all the videos are of it on a track. I also didn't know the Z06 was slow as ***k! I've never heard anyone say that before.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #241
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Well I was wrong about it being called Z28 and said it wouldn't have the 10 speed. I was right about the flowtie though. Haha. This car is gonna be awesome! Can't wait till one day I can get one. I am really looking forward to the tests up against Mustang GT350R and whatever else wants to try to keep up with the ZL1.

Looks like it will take on the hellcat soundly. Way to go GM!

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #242
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Anyone give you an idea what the estimated hp is? Does it have cameras built in?
Performance Data Recorder is built-in and optional, yes.

Just the "estimate 640hp" line. But generally, this means there's more - they're just waiting for the SAE certification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
Like this?
Memories....They were like that every time they stopped on the back straight for the second half of the laps. SO cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Looks great, and sounds great. However I'm a little disappointed the rear end does not have more functional down force..

If you look, the wing-style spoiler is changing airflow to create an area of downforce behind the rear window.

Not all cars are created equal, and it is entirely possible that they determined the ZL1 was faster around a track with "no lift" over the rear end, as opposed to "downforce". As too much downforce also means a lot of drag, and that can slow a car down.

They can finely tune the aerodynamics however they want, so I'm sure it was for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I'm curious how the supercharger will effect the cars balance. The Camaro SS already has a front/rear weight distribution of 54%/46% This is obviously gonna add some more weight on the nose. I just wonder how much.
The 2016 SS points and shoots like nobody's business. Super nimble and quick to respond to steering inputs. Aaron mentioned that there was more weight over the nose, where they don't want it (obviously), but that you'd never notice it while driving/going around a track. It is entirely possible that the extra rubber up front (super stick 285 Goodyears), revised stabilizer bars, and Mag Ride more than make up for that difference.

Also remember that the LT4 is a much lower profile engine than the LSA of last generation, so the center of gravity is bound to be a bit lower, aiding handling.

I wasn't driving - but I've got to say, our hot lap included many transitions, and the car just leapt from side to side. It felt very nimble from the passenger's seat.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #243
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
Forget want.
This is need.
2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #244
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galtman View Post
Also this car NEEDS full led quad headlights as an option

You are in a very lonely place right now.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #245
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Painted "Carbon Flash", or "Mosaic Black"....metallic black...on the red show car.
Wonder how long it will take for the new ZL1 hood to start appearing on the V6 models?

Sorry - just had to say it.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #246
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Looks great, and sounds great. However I'm a little disappointed the rear end does not have more functional down force..

Well, remember wings (like the one on the ZL1) are not just for downforce, but also stability...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #247
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:

The 2016 SS points and shoots like nobody's business. Super nimble and quick to respond to steering inputs. Aaron mentioned that there was more weight over the nose, where they don't want it (obviously), but that you'd never notice it while driving/going around a track. It is entirely possible that the extra rubber up front (super stick 285 Goodyears), revised stabilizer bars, and Mag Ride more than make up for that difference.

Also remember that the LT4 is a much lower profile engine than the LSA of last generation, so the center of gravity is bound to be a bit lower, aiding handling.

I wasn't driving - but I've got to say, our hot lap included many transitions, and the car just leapt from side to side. It felt very nimble from the passenger's seat.
This just occurred to me as well and I'm glad someone else brought this up. It doesn't like over-steer was a problem or anything, but won't the additional weight simply put more stress on the front tires? I'm not an expert on any of this, but I assume if you have good tires that are in good shape, you're not going to notice the imbalance as much. Then, it should start wearing down your tires quicker the more aggressive you continue to drive.
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #248
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Performance Data Recorder is built-in and optional, yes.

Just the "estimate 640hp" line. But generally, this means there's more - they're just waiting for the SAE certification.

Memories....They were like that every time they stopped on the back straight for the second half of the laps. SO cool.

If you look, the wing-style spoiler is changing airflow to create an area of downforce behind the rear window.

Not all cars are created equal, and it is entirely possible that they determined the ZL1 was faster around a track with "no lift" over the rear end, as opposed to "downforce". As too much downforce also means a lot of drag, and that can slow a car down.

They can finely tune the aerodynamics however they want, so I'm sure it was for a reason.

I wonder if the rear wing has more to do with reducing drag over the rear end than creating down force. At the minimum, it looks to create a neutral lift over the rear tires, which should help.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:59 AM   #249
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Well, remember wings (like the one on the ZL1) are not just for downforce, but also stability...
It's possibly, however I had over 1,200 road course miles on my ZL1 before I traded it in and I found that the back end was very loose and had severe issues putting the power down in corner exit. Slight aero tweaks I made improved this but it was still too loose for my liking. I suspect that it was more of a compromise of looks vs. Function. They'd never put a Viper ACR wing on it.

In any case I have high expectations for this car and with 11 heat exchangers, cooling (hopefully) won't be an issue.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #250
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
This just occurred to me as well and I'm glad someone else brought this up. It doesn't like over-steer was a problem or anything, but won't the additional weight simply put more stress on the front tires? I'm not an expert on any of this, but I assume if you have good tires that are in good shape, you're not going to notice the imbalance as much. Then, it should start wearing down your tires quicker the more aggressive you continue to drive.
The last generation ZL1 was also quick to turn-in. A very nimble car for it's size. The hiccup with that car was the differential was more suited for straight line traction and power delivery...it didn't rotate as quickly as, say, a 1LE or the Z/28.

The new edifferential will fix all that. And in a conversation with Al, he alluded to the ability to lock up and open the diff whenever they wanted to, aiding the ability to rotate the car around a turn, and compensate for the extra weight of the engine.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:01 PM   #251
Fred 16
ZL1 crystal RED

Drives: ZL1 2014
Price ZL1 ?
Old 03-16-2016, 12:13 PM   #252
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Did I miss the under hood pictures?