Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #15
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
There is no vibration that I notice with my R, so either the particular car used by the magazine was an exception, or perhaps the reviewer is used to driving non-track oriented cars. The R has no more NVH than the z/28 did.

Ride on the street in the z/28 was much harsher than it is in the R, and the R feels much lighter and more nimble. My z did feel planted, but I think it had to do with weight more than anything.

Last edited by titanfan; 03-07-2016 at 03:35 PM.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #16
t_towner

Drives: Chevys, Fords a Mopar and Ferrari
I'm looking to buy a new track toy and would buy a 350R in a heartbeat if I could find one at MSRP. IMO the interior of the 350 is light years ahead of the Z. I have a few questions/observations on the Z and will prob start a new thread.

I've driven a couple Z's and even looked at a 2016 GT w Performance Pack and Recaro's this weekend but the Z still has it bang for the buck (compared to a base track pack 350) if a Z can be purchased new for $53-55k range.

I don't really have brand loyalty as I date em all if they look good and put out appropriately.
t_towner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #17
D2M

Drives: Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
There is no vibration that I notice with my R, so either the particular car used by the magazine was an exception, or perhaps the reviewer is used to driving non-track oriented cars. The R has no more NVH than the z/28 did.

Ride on the street in the z/28 was much harsher than it is in the R, and the R feels much lighter and more nimble. My z did feel planted, but I think it had to do with weight more than anything.

Im convinced there's no actual oil inside the Z28 shocks, its wood..
D2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:14 AM   #18
Hunt-man

Drives: 2015 Z28 + Piper Comanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2M View Post
I wanted and would have gotten a standard GT350 but the cheapest one I could find was 9K over msrp, that wasn't gonna happen. Soooo I was on Autotrader one night and saw a new Z28 for 56K. Went next day and bought it. I wasn't even considering a Z28 because of the 75K price tag.. Im not a brand loyalist, if its cool Ill drive it..
This. Couldn't get a gt350. Decided on a corvette but stumbled into the z28. Happy with my z28 but I would swap for a gt350r...

Don't kill me....
Hunt-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:33 AM   #19
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn

Drives: '09 CGM Z063LZ '15 RH Z/28 #0631
I buy the engine, and take the surrounding sheet-metal. In the Oklahoma area the Ford dealerships asking stupid money over MSRP; which I have always refused to pay.

I've had an LS7 for years now in a '09 Z06; so this was an easy choice; especially at the rock bottom pricing they have on the Z/28 right now. I love the LS7 and cant wait to get my 2nd one broken in;'; as there is nothing like opening it up to a 6800 rpm shift point.

Toy 1 '15 RH Z/28 w/AC & Radio S/N 0631
Toy 2 '09 CGM Z06 3LZ
My DD: '17 Ford Mustang GT
Her DD: '14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #20
D2M

Drives: Z/28
I wish it revved to 8k or even 9k..
D2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #21
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raging_Bull View Post
I buy the engine, and take the surrounding sheet-metal. In the Oklahoma area the Ford dealerships asking stupid money over MSRP; which I have always refused to pay.

I've had an LS7 for years now in a '09 Z06; so this was an easy choice; especially at the rock bottom pricing they have on the Z/28 right now. I love the LS7 and cant wait to get my 2nd one broken in;'; as there is nothing like opening it up to a 6800 rpm shift point.
Imagine shifting modern day liter bikes at 14,000 rpm with no clutch. That's magical.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #22
All2Easy

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #997 Gone 2019 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Imagine shifting modern day liter bikes at 14,000 rpm with no clutch. That's magical.
It most certainly is.....on my HP4 at COTA

All2Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:13 PM   #23
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by All2Easy View Post
It most certainly is.....on my HP4 at COTA

Yeah man. I had an S1000rr back in February 2010. Bike changed the game.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:00 PM   #24
TJR172

Drives: 2015 Z/28 HPE650
too slow

There were two GT350's at the track the other day. (NOT R's) But they were 20 seconds plus behind me. Yes my car is a little modded. But I am far from a good driver... But 20 seconds!! wow. And they both were dealing with overheating trans, differential and motor!.
TJR172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:45 PM   #25
21STCENTURY

Drives: Z28/700HP, CTSV/850HP, Viper/725HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR172 View Post
There were two GT350's at the track the other day. (NOT R's) But they were 20 seconds plus behind me. Yes my car is a little modded. But I am far from a good driver... But 20 seconds!! wow. And they both were dealing with overheating trans, differential and motor!.
Where were you at
Nurburgring?
21STCENTURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #26
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Those who are considering it should check out the GT350 forums. Given the limited number on the street (or track) there are some fairly significant issues being reported. Issues like transmission over heating and going into limp mode, being stuck in 2nd gear even though shifter is in neutral and ignition cutting off.

Not saying the GT50 isn't a great car, but after reading the Motor Trend final update on the long term test of the Z/28 (posted by UrbanLegend in separate thread) and having read many threads in this forum, the Z/28 seems very durable. I know about it overheating at the track, but there seem to be some fixes. Transmission issues like mentioned above with the GT350 seem to linger even after being repaired and/or replaced. Just saying... do your research.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:59 PM   #27
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn

Drives: '09 CGM Z063LZ '15 RH Z/28 #0631
I thought of one, but was told 17.5K over list, I laughed as I always have. If they're not willing to work with you then its down the road. The flat crank engine is a killer; its lack of torque in the lower RPM ranges were a negative compared to the howl of the LS7 as it reached redline, plus all that torque...still 50 to 60 ft/lb more than the Ford VooDoo flat crank at 7000.

On the other hand, its a true shame that folks seems to be scared of the LS7 in our car. All you need to do is read the latest installment of the article UTAENG96 posted; or the version over at the Corvette Action Center (The ruthless (or Relentless) Pursuit of Power by Hib Halverson) to understand that Chevy added super polishing and finishing techniques to eliminate the dropped valve issue in these newer LS7's that go into our car. All the folks missing out on the last 152 Z/28's are fools. In 20 years those of us with them in great shape will have a car which is climbing in value seriously.

Unfortunately the dropped valve was an issue I faced in my '09 Z06; since it's manufacture was smack in the middle of the questionable manufacturing timeframe. Thats when you have to decide to spend the money to fix it; or sell it.

For me there was never a question, just like Chevy will never do a 427 in a Camaro again; they won't be doing one in a Vette again either, so the choice was easy. Add to that > I got the car at a great price; so paying the upcharge just got me to the area the Z51's were selling for in '12 when I bought. Besides now I have two maniac LS7's in my garage. I'm pinching myself in the garage..and on Saturday orSunday...is it the Z/28 or Z06 hmmm what a tough choice right??

My neighbor says he can tell which car I'm firing up before it comes out of the garage; but loves the Z/28 for its raggedy snap crackle pop. Too cool...Chevy engineers made a masterpiece.

Toy 1 '15 RH Z/28 w/AC & Radio S/N 0631
Toy 2 '09 CGM Z06 3LZ
My DD: '17 Ford Mustang GT
Her DD: '14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5

Last edited by The_Raging_Bull; 03-21-2016 at 09:10 PM.
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #28
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raging_Bull View Post
I thought of one, but was told 17.5K over list, I laughed as I always have. If they're not willing to work with you then its down the road. The flat crank engine is a killer; its lack of torque in the lower RPM ranges were a negative compared to the howl of the LS7 as it reached redline, plus all that torque...still 50 to 60 ft/lb more than the Ford VooDoo flat crank at 7000.

On the other hand, its a true shame that folks seems to be scared of the LS7 in our car. All you need to do is read the latest installment of the article UTAENG96 posted; or the version over at the Corvette Action Center (The ruthless (or Relentless) Pursuit of Power by Hib Halverson) to understand that Chevy added super polishing and finishing techniques to eliminate the dropped valve issue in these newer LS7's that go into our car. All the folks missing out on the last 152 Z/28's are fools. In 20 years those of us with them in great shape will have a car which is climbing in value seriously.

Unfortunately the dropped valve was an issue I faced in my '09 Z06; since it's manufacture was smack in the middle of the questionable manufacturing timeframe. Thats when you have to decide to spend the money to fix it; or sell it.

For me there was never a question, just like Chevy will never do a 427 in a Camaro again; they won't be doing one in a Vette again either, so the choice was easy. Add to that > I got the car at a great price; so paying the upcharge just got me to the area the Z51's were selling for in '12 when I bought. Besides now I have two maniac LS7's in my garage. I'm pinching myself in the garage..and on Saturday orSunday...is it the Z/28 or Z06 hmmm what a tough choice right??

My neighbor says he can tell which car I'm firing up before it comes out of the garage; but loves the Z/28 for its raggedy snap crackle pop. Too cool...Chevy engineers made a masterpiece.
You are absolutely spot on! The NA V8 engines are on the way out (e.g. Ford's latest incarnation of the GT with a V6 eco-boost) as are manual gearboxes. As bad ass as the GT350 (and R) are, they aren't the hardcore, all out, no frills, no compromises track car that is the Z/28. Folks who sat on the sideline for fear of the LS7 issue are truly missing out!