Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 02-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #99
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post

Very, very unlikely that they are going to redesign the blade spoiler for the SS specifically. It's more likely that they will cave in and allow customers to order an RS decklid with the option to have the blade installed as an LPO part as it was originally intended to be, without having to take the thing to a body shop to fill in any holes.
I don't think so...I saw BMW turn an interior wood package around in 6 months, that did not fit...and they won't redesign it for the SS, they will redesign it so it works for all cars, all it needs is another 1/2 inch on the base, as was pointed out above.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #100
10redrocket

Drives: 2SS Camaro LS3
Ok, last time!
The SS will have to be ordered with the RS deck and lip spoiler for the blade spoiler to be plug n play. No drilling or filling holes.

This is per Al Oppenheiser
He is the chief design engineer for the Camaro.
He told me this in Texas at the find new roads tour.
This option will not be available until late spring.

This is not BS, I was there with TR6 when he took delivery of his car.
I posted all this 3 times already.

THE BLADE SPOILER IS NOT MEANT TO BE INSTALLED ON THE SS DECK LID!

Past Rides: 69 Camaro RS Small Block
67 Chevelle SS Big Block
05 Cobalt SS Supercharged
07 Cobalt SS Supercharged
10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Soon: 18 Camaro 2SS 1LE
10redrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #101
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I don't think so...I saw BMW turn an interior wood package around in 6 months, that did not fit...and they won't redesign it for the SS, they will redesign it so it works for all cars, all it needs is another 1/2 inch on the base, as was pointed out above.
I don't frankly understand your comparison. You're suggesting that an engineering solution for a different company under different circumstances will apply just because you had past experiences. There are multiple paths Chevy can take here, but because they are so freaked out about drag reduction and how spoiler design plays into it, I doubt they will just modify the footprint of the spoiler for cosmetic reasons without taking anything else into consideration. This isn't just some random trim piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10redrocket View Post
Ok, last time!
The SS will have to be ordered with the RS deck and lip spoiler for the blade spoiler to be plug n play. ... He told me this in Texas at the find new roads tour.
And this is what an engineer basically told me during Find New Roads as well. This spoiler was never intended to be on the SS decklid. I think they will just soften up on their stance and allow ordering an RS decklid on an SS in the future, since it has all the needed holes already.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #102
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Yeah that's where we disagree, I think this IS a "random trim piece". The aerodynamics and testing of spoilers on a volume production car is low priority. On the vette, the GM wing was never even tested for aerodynamics, but they sold it .....and on the z51 pkg, with the blade spoiler, they claim that they added the front air dam as it affected handling above 125 mph. However, they then went ahead and sold that z51 blade to non z51 people with no mention anywhere, that they should add the front dam. It's all business, not so much testing in my mind.

But i could be wrong, Lets revisit this 9 months from now.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #103
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atra View Post
Screw bothering with this until a proper part is released tbh.
I'm right there with ya.

Quote:
Ok, last time!
The SS will have to be ordered with the RS deck and lip spoiler for the blade spoiler to be plug n play. No drilling or filling holes.

This is per Al Oppenheiser
He is the chief design engineer for the Camaro.
He told me this in Texas at the find new roads tour.
This option will not be available until late spring.

This is not BS, I was there with TR6 when he took delivery of his car.
I posted all this 3 times already.

THE BLADE SPOILER IS NOT MEANT TO BE INSTALLED ON THE SS DECK LID!
yeah that's all great and dandy, except does the material listing the item for sale anywhere in the accessory promotions or ordering guides say anything about the item not being available for SS models and only intended for LT models.

Not that I've seen.

So even though you might have talked to someone in the know (yes I know who Al O is) 99% of the people that will eventually want the spoiler won't have a clue.

Also 99% of the people won't give a hoot about the extra yadda yadda of downforce or aero dynamic efficiency the stock spoiler provides over a dovetail. They just want to make the car look better. Now I don't really think the stock spoiler looks bad, and its not super high on my priority list to change, but it is a part of the final "product" I want to change to make the car my own.

Making the car my own was something Chevy really touted as a big deal on this new Camaro, yet they don't let us replace the stock spoiler. It makes zero sense. It was a bad move and not well thought out or at least not well tested.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #104
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Bottom line, FOR NOW is: If you have an SS, you are screwed. If you have an LT, you are golden.

It is that simple. Us trying to come up with a "theory" on how it can be fixed is rather a waste of time as to be honest, all of you commenting is correct. But for all we know, Chevy won't do jack about it. IF they do something about it to make all current SS owners happy, it would be great but they have A LOT on their plate at the moment. Still have the 2.0T, convertibles, "zl1", "z28", "1LE" etc and all that are still not out yet. The accessories team I am sure have prioritized stuff for those and don't forget that they are also working on bunch of other stuff for the LT/SS that are actually out right now.

In other words, they are busy AF and even IF they will do something about the blade spoiler, it will be ages before they do... At least that is my assumption, which I hope is wrong but unlikely in the case of the blade spoiler. When you order the first year model, nothing will be out there and even then shit like this will happen lol. We just have to be patient but I wouldn't hold my breath lol. It's just growing pains and the downside of getting a first year model.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:53 PM   #105
daytonagary

Drives: 1932 Ford 3 Window Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Bottom line, FOR NOW is: If you have an SS, you are screwed. If you have an LT, you are golden.

It is that simple. Us trying to come up with a "theory" on how it can be fixed is rather a waste of time as to be honest, all of you commenting is correct. But for all we know, Chevy won't do jack about it. IF they do something about it to make all current SS owners happy, it would be great but they have A LOT on their plate at the moment. Still have the 2.0T, convertibles, "zl1", "z28", "1LE" etc and all that are still not out yet. The accessories team I am sure have prioritized stuff for those and don't forget that they are also working on bunch of other stuff for the LT/SS that are actually out right now.

In other words, they are busy AF and even IF they will do something about the blade spoiler, it will be ages before they do... At least that is my assumption, which I hope is wrong but unlikely in the case of the blade spoiler. When you order the first year model, nothing will be out there and even then shit like this will happen lol. We just have to be patient but I wouldn't hold my breath lol. It's just growing pains and the downside of getting a first year model.
AGREE...
and until the blade spoiler problem is solved and available and the blackened tail lights are available, I won't order my car. Looks like waiting until the 2017 is available. No problem.
daytonagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #106
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Finally got around to take some pics of mine on. I am a 2lt guy, sorry to hear about the SS hole issue. but i dont feel too bad for you guys. you have a 455HP beast. I envy yall. You could always get a old cell phone antenna and stick in that hole.. joking, joking don't kill me.
Attached Images

chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:49 PM   #107
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris227 View Post
Finally got around to take some pics of mine on. I am a 2lt guy, sorry to hear about the SS hole issue. but i dont feel too bad for you guys. you have a 455HP beast. I envy yall. You could always get a old cell phone antenna and stick in that hole.. joking, joking don't kill me.
true smokey and the bandit CB that hole. hahahaha
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #108
10redrocket

Drives: 2SS Camaro LS3
Quote:
I don't frankly understand your comparison. You're And this is what an engineer basically told me during Find New Roads as well. This spoiler was never intended to be on the SS decklid. I think they will just soften up on their stance and allow ordering an RS decklid on an SS in the future, since it has all the needed holes already.
There's no stance here. They already have this option in the works, when the logistics are in place the option will be added to the order workbench.

The demand for this took them by surprise. One of the engineers I spoke with just couldn't understand that I hated the wing. The look on his face was priceless, lol!
"We have hundreds of hours testing this" he said.
I said "I don't care, I hate it and I'm not buying one until they fix it"

Past Rides: 69 Camaro RS Small Block
67 Chevelle SS Big Block
05 Cobalt SS Supercharged
07 Cobalt SS Supercharged
10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Soon: 18 Camaro 2SS 1LE
10redrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #109
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
One of the engineers I spoke with just couldn't understand that I hated the wing. The look on his face was priceless, lol!

"We have hundreds of hours testing this" he said. I said "I don't care, I hate it and I'm not buying one until they fix it"
Well, that's the thing I'm confused about. An engineer I spoke to had the exact same take on this. He said they invested a lot of time in testing the SS spoiler and no other options would be available. Then they ended up doing a 180 and ignoring the engineers because of the market demand. So idk. I guess they really did just have dollar signs in their eyes and let this one slip to customers without any tunnel testing or even basic fitment tests. Perhaps it's really as simple as that — engineering vs sales, and sales won out.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:27 PM   #110
daytonagary

Drives: 1932 Ford 3 Window Coupe
Quote:
Well, that's the thing I'm confused about. An engineer I spoke to had the exact same take on this. He said they invested a lot of time in testing the SS spoiler and no other options would be available. Then they ended up doing a 180 and ignoring the engineers because of the market demand. So idk. I guess they really did just have dollar signs in their eyes and let this one slip to customers without any tunnel testing or even basic fitment tests. Perhaps it's really as simple as that — engineering vs sales, and sales won out.
EXACTLY - I don't care how efficient the standard SS spoiler/wing or whatever you want to call it is. Don't care about its downforce, its fuel efficency, or anything. Don't care about how much time and money they put into perfecting it. Not driving a race car at speed here. Just want the spoiler that in my opinion looks the best on my car.
daytonagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:29 PM   #111
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris227 View Post
Absolutely beautiful!

Quote:
That's the thing... Even with $$$$ signs, they still are loosing a shit ton of SS customers. Do you think we will wait around to see if Chevy will come out with one that actually covers the hole when an aftermarket company makes one? You bet, I will grab the aftermarket one IF the quality is legit. They could've just made the thing an inch longer and we wouldn't be having these conversations lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonagary View Post
EXACTLY - I don't care how efficient the standard SS spoiler/wing or whatever you want to call it is. Don't care about its downforce, its fuel efficency, or anything. Don't care about how much time and money they put into perfecting it. Not driving a race car at speed here. Just want the spoiler that in my opinion looks the best on my car.
I do care about those things but frankly, like you said... we aren't at a track doing 100+ constant speeds for it to reallllly matter lol. I do not mind the SS wing, the blade spoiler looks on the car plus seeing all the Xfinity and NASCAR vehicles with the blade spoiler on ALL of them... God damn, hell yeah I am getting it! Oh wait... Can't do that because I am not spending $1400 bucks to get the hole filled and paint the trunk or $1000 to buy a new LT unpainted trunk lid and get that painted...
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:47 PM   #112
chris227

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr6 View Post
Absolutely beautiful!

I do care about those things but frankly, like you said... we aren't at a track doing 100+ constant speeds for it to reallllly matter lol. I do not mind the SS wing, the blade spoiler looks on the car plus seeing all the Xfinity and NASCAR vehicles with the blade spoiler on ALL of them... God damn, hell yeah I am getting it! Oh wait... Can't do that because I am not spending $1400 bucks to get the hole filled and paint the trunk or $1000 to buy a new LT unpainted trunk lid and get that painted...
Thank you, it really sucks having that hole exposed. I feel for ya.
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote