Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-31-2016, 12:03 PM   #267
BravoMyles

Drives: Blue/Black 2017 1SS
Got my LTs and the xpipe installed last night. For anyone wanting more volume and muscle, DO IT. My car now sounds like I've always wanted it to.

Be wary though, don't underestimate the volume. I went in knowing it'd be loud, it is and I like it, but some people don't. If you're the type of person that's gonna not enjoy it being loud, you may consider keeping a resonator or something on if you do LTs.

My setup in terms of exhaust is Borla Atak axleback, Summit xpipe resonator delete, and TSP 1 7/8" long tubes with catless connections.

I passed by Whataburger last night just after the bars close (college town) and saw people spin around to watch as I down shifted around a corner.

2010 2SS - Summit White - SOLD
CAI intake, Borla Atak axle-back (Summit xpipe resonator delete), custom ported TB, Texas Speed 1 7/8" LT Headers w/ Catless connections

Instagram: bravomyles
BravoMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:07 PM   #268
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoMyles View Post
Got my LTs and the xpipe installed last night. For anyone wanting more volume and muscle, DO IT. My car now sounds like I've always wanted it to.

Be wary though, don't underestimate the volume. I went in knowing it'd be loud, it is and I like it, but some people don't. If you're the type of person that's gonna not enjoy it being loud, you may consider keeping a resonator or something on if you do LTs.

My setup in terms of exhaust is Borla Atak axleback, Summit xpipe resonator delete, and TSP 1 7/8" long tubes with catless connections.

I passed by Whataburger last night just after the bars close (college town) and saw people spin around to watch as I down shifted around a corner.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #269
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
I'm about 7 days from making my purchase and pretty much decided on Kooks headers, off road cats, and out to their 3 inch pipes. But I just saw their stepped headers compared to their 1 7/8 LT headers and now unsure again. Recommendations or comparisons between these two?
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
satxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #270
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by satxrider View Post
I'm about 7 days from making my purchase and pretty much decided on Kooks headers, off road cats, and out to their 3 inch pipes. But I just saw their stepped headers compared to their 1 7/8 LT headers and now unsure again. Recommendations or comparisons between these two?
The theory behind stepped headers is that when the shock wave from the exhaust valve opening travels across the "step", it reflects back towards the exhaust valve creating a negative pressure that is something like 3-5 PSI at the exhaust valve. When the steps are at the correct length for the application, this wave of negative pressure assists scavenging of the next exhaust cycle by pulling it out into the pressure drop created.

The stepped design is acoustically tuned specifically for their application, some considerable math and testing is involved in order to get it right. They are typically a racing piece and custom built for the car they are going on. As far as an off the shelf stepped header goes, I have never seen any real world numbers to demonstrate that they deliver a consistent advantage over straight tube designs.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #271
satxrider
Bad 45th

Thanks, kooks posted a dyno comparison showing about a 10hp gain over their standard LT 1 7/8 headers on a Camaro. I just don't know anyone that can verify.
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
Old 02-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #272
satxrider
Bad 45th

http://marylandspeed.com/kooks-signa...3.html?image=6
Old 02-04-2016, 05:19 PM   #273
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by satxrider View Post
Thanks, kooks posted a dyno comparison showing about a 10hp gain over their standard LT 1 7/8 headers on a Camaro. I just don't know anyone that can verify.
Exactly. When I say real world numbers I mean repeated verifiable numbers from someone other than the manufacturer and a distributor. And just so we are clear, we are a Kooks distributor. I could just tell you it was the greatest thing since sliced bread and we can give you a great deal but I am giving my honest opinion.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #274
satxrider
Bad 45th

Thanks, that's what I really appreciate about you. You have been totally honest. I will be calling you next week as I'm ready to pull the trigger.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #275
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
I ordered the kooks long tube 1 7/8 headers with mid pipes & High Flow cats. The tubes are made in America & life time warranty. I'm having them silver coated. They come with a life time warranty too and done in America. I don't think a little over $1,000 is a bad price at all.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #276
Redrocker1958
Obsessive camaro disorder

Drives: **2010 2ss/rs**
Stainless engineering.. Headers..fake cats...o2 extenders.. $340 to the door. Ls6..just installed a set..perfect fit
Old 02-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #277
FASTDIESEL

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SLP Cosmetics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrocker1958 View Post
Stainless engineering.. Headers..fake cats...o2 extenders.. $340 to the door. Ls6..just installed a set..perfect fit
This^

Over a year and 20K miles, still lovin em!
13.244 @ 104.91 100% stock (#17).
Now - Mike Norris catch can. 245/50/19 Firestone Wingfoot A/S on LT2 black powder coated rims (square). 1 7/8" Speed-Engineering LTH, off road pipes, tune.
Now 12.93 @ 109.13.
FASTDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #278
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
I ordered the kooks long tube 1 7/8 headers with mid pipes & High Flow cats. The tubes are made in America & life time warranty. I'm having them silver coated. They come with a life time warranty too and done in America. I don't think a little over $1,000 is a bad price at all.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #279
Rocco70
THE YETI

Drives: 2SS RS
America racing headers no cats best header I ever owned you get what you pay for.
Rocco70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #280
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco70 View Post
America racing headers no cats best header I ever owned you get what you pay for.
When the COPO Camaro, Dodge Challenger Drag Pack, Mustang Cobra Jet, and Viper ACR-X all use the same company to build their headers it is a safe bet that they are pretty decent. Apex is a proud American Racing Headers distributor.

Tags
american racing headers, kooks, long tube headers, pfadt, stainless works