Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-28-2016, 10:05 PM   #15
Blueforce

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
What kind of "for fun" tracking were you thinking of? If road course or auto cross - don't do the 245fr/305rr...it'll drive like utter crap through the bends.
I was thinking the drag strip but literally the drag strip probably 5 times at most unless i really like it. I'll have my uncle come with me, he's 4th place in the world for the NHRA so i think i'm in good hands haha. I'm still learning how to properly take off at this point though. Not actual tracking, sorry about that. All we have here in buffalo is a 1/8 strip but if i drive about an hour away i can hit the 1/4. I dont think i have enough money to run a track lol
And after i posted this i realize you are from buffalo also so yeah! Go buffalo! haha.

1 7/8 Dynatech headers -- Hi flow cats -- Full 3" Borla Atak cat back -- CAI Intake -- Bo White PTB -- Jannety Tune
Blueforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:08 PM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueforce View Post
I was thinking the drag strip not actual tracking, sorry about that. All we have here in buffalo is a 1/8 strip but if i drive about an hour away i can hit the 1/4. I dont think i have enough money to run a track lol
And after i posted this i realize you are from buffalo also so yeah! Go buffalo! haha.
Yeah - I didn't even see your location, that's funny! Have you visited the Buffalo regional thread?

The Michelin's might be overkill for you, then. But they are very good from what I'm told.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:10 PM   #17
Blueforce

Yeah quite possibly overkill. I usually put around 3-4k miles on a year. It's not a DD and probably never will be. And no, i haven't visited the regional thread. I should probably take a look at that. As for tire sizes then, would you say the 275fr and 305 would be better?

1 7/8 Dynatech headers -- Hi flow cats -- Full 3" Borla Atak cat back -- CAI Intake -- Bo White PTB -- Jannety Tune

Last edited by Blueforce; 01-29-2016 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:45 AM   #18
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Yeah quite possibly overkill. I usually put around 3-4k miles on a year. It's not a DD and probably never will be. And no, i haven't visited the regional thread. I should probably take a look at that. As for tire sizes then, would you say the 275fr and 305 would be better?
If you're dead set on 305s for the rear, then yes...a 275 or a 285 would be more appropriate. at 245/305...I'd be worried the car would understeer like a fiend...

EDIT: On second thought, though...I don't know what the tread wear is like on the other tires that folks have suggested - but the Pilot Super Sport, while probably the priciest of all options, are said to have relatively high tread wear for it's class. Might be able to squeak 3 or 4 years out of them with 3-4k a year!
Old 01-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #19
Blueforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
If you're dead set on 305s for the rear, then yes...a 275 or a 285 would be more appropriate. at 245/305...I'd be worried the car would understeer like a fiend...

EDIT: On second thought, though...I don't know what the tread wear is like on the other tires that folks have suggested - but the Pilot Super Sport, while probably the priciest of all options, are said to have relatively high tread wear for it's class. Might be able to squeak 3 or 4 years out of them with 3-4k a year!
I'm not really dead set but I saw that the 305's are only 2 more dollars for 1 more inch of grip over the 275's so I figured hmmm maybe a good idea. 4 bucks for two total inches of grip? Sounds great to me. Who doesn't like more grip? Ha-ha. I wish I knew why the car would undeesteer, I'm not very knowledgeable on cars, just getting into them.

That's a good point. I feel I drive the car a lot at 3-4k a year too. However I'm waiting to hear on a new job and that job is quite a bit farther away and I might drive it there sometimes but no big deal, just some extra miles. I'm not always slamming the car, just occasionally.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:08 AM   #20
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
I'm not really dead set but I saw that the 305's are only 2 more dollars for 1 more inch of grip over the 275's so I figured hmmm maybe a good idea. 4 bucks for two total inches of grip? Sounds great to me. Who doesn't like more grip? Ha-ha. I wish I knew why the car would undeesteer, I'm not very knowledgeable on cars, just getting into them.
The crash course is that when you go around a bend in a car, the "perfect" car will grip with the same amount of force in the front as the rear. So it will be neutral through the bend, which allows the driver more accurate control.

However, in cars that have wider rear tires than in the front, (usually done for grip to accommodate more power as you are doing), the rear tires have more grip and so the front can't keep up, and starts to slip (a little) as the grippy rears continue to push the vehicle forward...this sliding results in a lack of turning into the corner, and it called "understeer"...when the vehicle does not have enough steering force through a corner and sort of slides out of it.

This is opposite to "oversteer", which can be good fun for tail-flicking and powerslides, but ultimately is just as slow through a bend. Oversteer is more dangerous because it can result in a loss of control in a fishtail scenario, whereas understeer just plows ahead.

When you're considering 305s, are you also looking at new wheels? I think you'd be pushing the limits of the stock wheels by putting 305s on them.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #21
Blueforce

Alright that makes a lot of sense actually. Thanks for that.

After doing research, I believe those are the limits of the stock wheels. I do need new tires because there's like 2/32 of tread on the stock pirellies after 27k miles. I was not going to look for different wheels because that's a whole other expense. I'm already spending around 2500-3k this spring if I can even pull up that much ha-ha. I'm getting married this year and that is not helping the finances. Plus we want to get a house next year after marriage so we have that too. Yay for that!

Old 01-29-2016, 08:29 AM   #22
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Then just get tires and stick to the 245/275 stock sizes until you can get what you want.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #23
Blueforce

I have no problem getting the stock tire replacement sizes. I just figured for only a few bucks why not get a little more(even though I'm trying to save a little here) But perhaps there are drawbacks to the wheel being maxed out on tire width. The MT's seem like a pretty good deal though in general.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:50 AM   #24
digdeep0169

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
+1 on the Miche PSS - just don't come out of the hole too aggressive on a cold day... those tires will break loose. as for the rest of the list... i wouldn't even consider them.

~ 2012 SS ~
digdeep0169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #25
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Quote:
I have no problem getting the stock tire replacement sizes. I just figured for only a few bucks why not get a little more(even though I'm trying to save a little here) But perhaps there are drawbacks to the wheel being maxed out on tire width. The MT's seem like a pretty good deal though in general.
If you are putting tires on the stock rim I'd keep stock sizes. And I second the thought of 245/305 would be terrible ride.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #26
Blueforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdeep0169 View Post
+1 on the Miche PSS - just don't come out of the hole too aggressive on a cold day... those tires will break loose. as for the rest of the list... i wouldn't even consider them.
Hmm I see. Yeah they are rated super nice tires but good god they are expensive. I know Mr. Wyndham has suggested those as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
If you are putting tires on the stock rim I'd keep stock sizes. And I second the thought of 245/305 would be terrible ride.
Yeah I think I will keep the stock tire sizes. I'm never going to drag it a ton and I don't think I'll ever get new rims because the cost is just ridiculous so I can live with stock sizes. I just need enough to do my few quick launches and pulls while going already. If it sucks at the track I won't even be disappointed. Just want to have a little extra fun and probably embarrass myself in front of a thousand+ people haha.