Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #43
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrocker1958 View Post
There isn't a guy here more American than me..how many of ya got Nissans..Toyota's ect in your drive??..won't find one in mine EVER..my point is ..3 times the cost it should be is ripping off the good ole American boy..some good points have been made in this thread..food for thought...thanx for your input..
You do understand those cars are made right there by your good old boys right.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #44
Redrocker1958
Obsessive camaro disorder

Drives: **2010 2ss/rs**
Talking about headers here
Old 01-24-2016, 06:00 PM   #45
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
There isn't a guy here more American than me..how many of ya got Nissans..Toyota's ect in your drive??..won't find one in mine EVER..my point is ..3 times the cost it should be is ripping off the good ole American boy..some good points have been made in this thread..food for thought...thanx for your input..
Look at this cool little thing. Your car is a world car. All cars are. No car is "100% Made In America" anymore. It's a world economy.

Panasonic Radio. Yazaki HUD. Brembo Brakes. Rotorion driveshaft. Autoliv airbags. Koyo power steering pump. Mitsubishi sensors....

Not trying to dog on you. Good on you for buying American when you can.
Attached Images

Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #46
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
I had the Speed Engineering headers on my car for about 4 months and they're still on it. They turned a nice purply/golden hue and are still shiny on the bottom side. No leaks and they fit better than a friend who had BBK with the same size primaries. The BBK were all up on the side of the engine compartment on the passenger side and hit the steering shafts on the drivers side. No such issues with mine. Easiest set of headers I have installed on any V8 powered car, even easier than on my 12' Silverado I used to have.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:06 PM   #47
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
That's up to you if you want to spend extra money to make yourself feel better. It's your right to do so. But consider this:

Apex sells Stainless Power headers for $742 and Stainless Works headers for $1,102. They are the SAME headers, except you're spending $360 extra dollars to support American labor, like you said.

Except your money is finite, so now that's $360 gone from your pocket that can't flow to anyone else.

Let's pretend I purchase the Stainless Power headers. I save $360. As a result, I'm still sending my money to an American company. All the same players see a benefit except a handful of professional welders. However, with that extra $360 dollars:

- I spend $100 on Amazon.com and get some toys.
- I take the wife out on a date. We go to the movies and spend $40, we go out to dinner and spend $100, we hit a couple bars after dinner and spend another $90.
- We get pretty loaded to we spend $30 cabbing it home.

All that is possible because I had extra cash. You may have supported a couple welders somewhere, but because I bought the more economically valuable product, I was able to support dozens of warehouse workers, shippers, UPS drivers, movie theater workers, film crews, actors and actresses, waitresses, line cooks, bartenders, restaurant owners and cab drivers. ALL Americans.

I actually wound up supporting far more American workers in my scenario because I was smarter with my money, and therefore I was able to increase its velocity and spread it to more and more people.

Think about that. When you're paying extra for a BRAND, you're actually supporting LESS people because you're giving a higher margin to a couple guys.
Thats fine except I still do what your describing anyway. I stand by supporting the blue collar worker and always will. Me purchasing a more expensive part and still doing the other things as you describe, I actually am supporting more because I am paying the supplier, manufacturer, welder, amazon, and all that other stuff.

We could go back and fourth on the what if's surrounding this and counter it on every point. Bottom line my money, and I value the workforce. I would rather put money in the hands of a welder than a corporation such as amazon, or the entertainment industry, but as I said spending a few more bills on an American product is not going to have any effect at all on my spending for other things. If it did I should not have bought the part.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:35 PM   #48
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
That's up to you if you want to spend extra money to make yourself feel better. It's your right to do so. But consider this:

Apex sells Stainless Power headers for $742 and Stainless Works headers for $1,102. They are the SAME headers, except you're spending $360 extra dollars to support American labor, like you said.

Except your money is finite, so now that's $360 gone from your pocket that can't flow to anyone else.

Let's pretend I purchase the Stainless Power headers. I save $360. As a result, I'm still sending my money to an American company. All the same players see a benefit except a handful of professional welders. However, with that extra $360 dollars:

- I spend $100 on Amazon.com and get some toys.
- I take the wife out on a date. We go to the movies and spend $40, we go out to dinner and spend $100, we hit a couple bars after dinner and spend another $90.
- We get pretty loaded to we spend $30 cabbing it home.

All that is possible because I had extra cash. You may have supported a couple welders somewhere, but because I bought the more economically valuable product, I was able to support dozens of warehouse workers, shippers, UPS drivers, movie theater workers, film crews, actors and actresses, waitresses, line cooks, bartenders, restaurant owners and cab drivers. ALL Americans.

I actually wound up supporting far more American workers in my scenario because I was smarter with my money, and therefore I was able to increase its velocity and spread it to more and more people.

Think about that. When you're paying extra for a BRAND, you're actually supporting LESS people because you're giving a higher margin to a couple guys.
The American welder will spend the money also, possibly in the same way you did.

The difference is you gave part of the money to a Chinese girl for welding your headers
So you spend 360 supporting Americans and 742 supporting a chinese family.
Or you spend 1,102 and it all stays here, and the american welder gets to take his wife out
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:51 PM   #49
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
Why do you all think the welder is going to get this money. You are padding the pockets of the business owner who pays his workers as little as he can to keep them on board while buying vacation homes and living lavishly

I'll spend me money as I please and know when I'm getting shafted $1k+ for some bent tubes gtfo
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:09 PM   #50
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
A hard working American with an opportunity to work and make a career for himself and being able to raise a nice decent family is what's lacking in our country. How do we get America working again?
Old 01-24-2016, 10:29 PM   #51
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fif_gen_powa View Post
Why do you all think the welder is going to get this money. You are padding the pockets of the business owner who pays his workers as little as he can to keep them on board while buying vacation homes and living lavishly

I'll spend me money as I please and know when I'm getting shafted $1k+ for some bent tubes gtfo
Well possibly because most welders I know make pretty decent money. Any welder who can weld stainless and have nice welds is going to get paid well. Either way the company owner is going to do well.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:46 PM   #52
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
A hard working American with an opportunity to work and make a career for himself and being able to raise a nice decent family is what's lacking in our country. How do we get America working again?
Seems most just want a wal mart economy. It the new me generation. Its just tubes, its just welds are missing the picture of what this really costs.

I agree 100% with your statment and that takes buying things made here when you can.
Where money is spent will be the only thing that may impact our manfacturing middle class.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:12 PM   #53
FilibustaRhymes

Drives: SS
Way back in the days of the 4th gen cars, I bought headers, cats, and catback for around $700. All mild steel, headers ceramic coated, no doubt in my mind they would last the life of the car in this part of the country.

The "expensive" options were the all-stainless stuff - seems to me like the stainless is the only option now. Stainless is great, but I do miss the mild steel option. I guess there's a better markup on that stuff.
FilibustaRhymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:46 AM   #54
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Back in 2009 I bought Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers and hi-flow cats. I paid $1200 shipped and installed them myself. Since then I've installed 2 other sets. They are well engineered and fit perfect. Doesn't hit the steering column. I didn't buy the X-pipe because they told me that only would give me an extra 15 HP, so I didn't spend the extra money.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:48 PM   #55
Guinness2

Drives: 14 Camaro 1SS RS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Granted it's been a few yrs since I bought a new set of SB headers..but not so long ago in a far far away land I remember one could buy anywhere a set of headers for $300. Or less..now fast forward to a far distant future aka 15 yrs later I get me a 6 year old Camaro....and I see from these companies on cam5 and all over the net summit..jegs..ect.." Get this great great chepest price ever. Set of headers...and they start @ $1500. and only go up from there...now I'm no rocket scientist ..but its still 4 tuned tubes into one collector..yes there is a cat or cat delete pipe ( in some cases)and a threaded nut for o2 sensor added.but at the tune of $1200 plus for a cat n couple nutz...really..can anyone shed light on this travesty....I mean damn I gotta get a loan for simple new set of headers really...

The Speed Engineering headers are a great value. $300 shipped w/ Off road pipes I can't confirm this but they probably come from the same factory overseas as the TSP headers do for more money. They fit great and I have no problems with clearance either. The welds are decent and they have a merge spike inside. I've owned every generation of F-body and had many headers from other manufacturers that didn't fit, look or were as well made as these Speed Engineering pieces.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Guinness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:00 AM   #56
D3R3K
Sittin side ways

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
I like my LG super pro long tubes.