#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-14-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Old article but interesting

Not sure if this was talked about before I joined the forums but I found this today and had not seen it before. I would be shocked to see them ever offer a smaller displacement engine than the LT1. I don't see the benefit in it for them.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/06/...maro-race-car/
Old 01-14-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
DannyB

Drives: Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Not sure if this was talked about before I joined the forums but I found this today and had not seen it before. I would be shocked to see them ever offer a smaller displacement engine than the LT1. I don't see the benefit in it for them.

I remember seeing some stuff on this on here back when this article came out. From what i remember some people were all for it and others adamantly against it, you know, your typical online forum discussion....LOL
DannyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #3
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
I remember seeing some stuff on this on here back when this article came out. From what i remember some people were all for it and others adamantly against it, you know, your typical online forum discussion....LOL
Yep. Now that I think about it I'm sure this started the Small Cube high rev vs big cube lower rev arguments.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:53 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post

It was discussed last summer.

For those that don't care to click the link to read the article, here is the important line:
"Why was the 302 engine so special? So, the formula may change a little, but it still needs to be a wicked fast track car more capable maybe than the comfort- and driver-oriented models."
For some reason, lots of people took it to mean that they're going to go back to a small (302 ci) engine for the Z/28. I see it as almost exactly the opposite.

You don't bring up the original recipe, then immediately follow that up with a comment about how you might be changing the formula, if you plan on going back to the way they were back in the old days.

My take is that he's preparing everyone for a Z/28 that does NOT feature a small, high revving, NA V8 engine. Of course, the 5th gen Z/28 at 7L didn't have all 4 of those characteristics either. But (rightfully so) nobody felt any need to soften the blow of that one. So assuming that he didn't say that in reference to displacement, it leaves 3 other characteristics: high revving, natural aspiration, and V8.

If I'm right on this, he's saying that the next Z/28 will lack at least one of those (and probably ditching 2, if not all 3). Mark Reuss's statement doesn't really make any sense unless thats what he was hinting at. The most obvious things to go away would be natural aspiration & revs. And if its still going to be a 'wicked fast track car' with forced induction (that is more capable than the other Camaro models), there is only 1 engine that I can see GM using: the LT4 out of the Z06 & CTS-V.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:40 AM   #5
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I wouldn't consider going from a high winding, naturally aspirated small block to a supercharged small block slightly changing the formula. That would be completely abandoning the formula. The 302 was built to comply with displacement restrictions that no longer need to be followed. Going from a small displacement to large displacement is a slight change, and one that makes sense if you want to build a competitive Z/28.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:52 AM   #6
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
"looking at the original formulas of the Trans Am homologation of the Z/28.” “Why was the 302 engine so special?,” Reuss asked.“So, the formula may change a little, but it still needs to be a wicked fast track car more capable maybe than the comfort- and driver-oriented models.”
Recall Reuss say that the the new SS would offer a ZL1 driving experince. It does. Taking these comments as literally, the original Z/28's 302 was a overrsquare engine designed to rev higher.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote