Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #29
SlowMoe

Drives: 2015 Z/28
Pmili, when I mention putting it in PTM5 and still feeling the traction kick in I may or may not have been in a open parking lot trying to making parking lot art.....I didnt read the manual and was playing around with the PTM settings to see how intrusive they were. I went off the assumption that since there were lights on my dash showing traction and stability controls were off that the tires would be free to spin but that was definitely not the case with the 5 PTM modes.
SlowMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #30
Psuball1

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR172 View Post
read the manual!
I surely did!! I just like having the opportunity to ask fellow Z/28 owners for clarification. That's what this site is all about, right?
Psuball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #31
stearns.mw

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Does anybody know how much torque is lost in PTM 1 wet mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stearns.mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #32
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns.mw View Post

it is traction dependent as it regulates the throttle blade. I am not sure if there is a maximum torque value in the programming.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #33
E. Bryant
Gearhead

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
The only honest answer is "it depends". The car tries to make an estimate of how much torque can be applied to the rear axle at a given moment, so things such as temperature, weight transfer to/across the rear tires, yaw rate, etc. get factored into the calculation. It's quite sophisticated, and as evidenced by the results, the estimate is surprisingly good across a reasonable range of conditions.

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6 - JRE 650 RWHP kit, AFCO heat exchanger, JPSS V4 aero, Z28 wheels for the twisties and Weld big-n-littles for the dragstrip.
11.193@128.13 in 515' DA
E. Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #34
stearns.mw

So it's variable based on a lot of different circumstances the car is seeing at the time. Is this correct

Old 01-19-2016, 06:24 PM   #35
pmili75

Drives: 2015 Z/28 AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMoe View Post
Pmili, when I mention putting it in PTM5 and still feeling the traction kick in I may or may not have been in a open parking lot trying to making parking lot art.....
Ahhh hah. Nice I do enjoy that fine art of Parking Lot Art.

A bit pricey with Trofeos

I just order a Charger 392 Scat Pack for DD I can wait to burn up few sets of rubber.
pmili75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:22 PM   #36
E. Bryant
Gearhead

Quote:
So it's variable based on a lot of different circumstances the car is seeing at the time. Is this correct
That indeed is correct. On the track, you can go WOT at the corner apex, and then feel and hear the car varying engine output as the steering wheel is unwound.

I'd highly recommend reading the link I posted earlier in the thread.

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6 - JRE 650 RWHP kit, AFCO heat exchanger, JPSS V4 aero, Z28 wheels for the twisties and Weld big-n-littles for the dragstrip.
11.193@128.13 in 515' DA
Old 01-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #37
stearns.mw

Good info. Thanks

Old 01-19-2016, 08:39 PM   #38
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Bryant View Post
That indeed is correct. On the track, you can go WOT at the corner apex, and then feel and hear the car varying engine output as the steering wheel is unwound.

I'd highly recommend reading the link I posted earlier in the thread.
You've done this? I tried that one time expecting what the TC did on my 11 ZX-10R (sort things out at truly WOT). That TC/electronics package is the best I've ever had BTW.

On my lowly ZL1 I had to correct because the rear end started to step out. I expected to go WOT at the apex and let the electronics sort it out. Not the case. Now I feed the throttle rather than go WOT at the apex.
What am I missing?
Old 01-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #39
E. Bryant
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
You've done this? I tried that one time expecting what the TC did on my 11 ZX-10R (sort things out at truly WOT). That TC/electronics package is the best I've ever had BTW.

On my lowly ZL1 I had to correct because the rear end started to step out. I expected to go WOT at the apex and let the electronics sort it out. Not the case. Now I feed the throttle rather than go WOT at the apex.
What am I missing?
I haven't played around with PTM on the track in a Z28, but in my ZL1, it has allowed me to do some absolutely stupid stuff with the throttle in challenging conditions. Stuff like repeated going WOT way early in a 3rd-gear turn on a soaked track in 40F air temps. Yeah, the rear end will wiggle just a touch as the system fine-tunes the desired level of engine torque, but that's about it. I would have launched off the track ass-first had I turned off the nannies.

That being said, there are limits to what the system can do. There have been moments when the stability control system had to intervene due to wheelspin at higher speeds on a wet track when running in PTM1, and I had a four-off event on a dry track in PTM3 when I tipped into the throttle a bit too early and aggressively at the exit of a big sweeper. As good as the electronics are, they don't serve as a substitute for mechanical grip

11.193@128.13 in 515' DA
Old 01-20-2016, 01:38 PM   #40
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Bryant View Post
I haven't played around with PTM on the track in a Z28, but in my ZL1, it has allowed me to do some absolutely stupid stuff with the throttle in challenging conditions. Stuff like repeated going WOT way early in a 3rd-gear turn on a soaked track in 40F air temps. Yeah, the rear end will wiggle just a touch as the system fine-tunes the desired level of engine torque, but that's about it. I would have launched off the track ass-first had I turned off the nannies.

That being said, there are limits to what the system can do. There have been moments when the stability control system had to intervene due to wheelspin at higher speeds on a wet track when running in PTM1, and I had a four-off event on a dry track in PTM3 when I tipped into the throttle a bit too early and aggressively at the exit of a big sweeper. As good as the electronics are, they don't serve as a substitute for mechanical grip
I need to play with the PTMs mods on both cars then. I feel and hear PTM 1 working when I go WOT. Sounds like a machine gun. But not the other modes. More to follow.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #41
s.hammer

Drives: 2015 Z/28
So as much as I hate to revive this, I can say that in PTM 5 there is definitely intervention in rear wheel spin at a point... in my case today it was much earlier than I was looking for while playing at an autocross. Has anyone discovered a way to turn everything off yet???
s.hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:04 PM   #42
stearns.mw

Performance traction management question

Hold the button down for like 7 to 10 seconds. All nanny will be off at that point but watch your ass.