Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-01-2016, 03:01 AM   #1
CamALot

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SSRS Black on Black
Metra Dash Kit Issue

Hi all - had my installer install a Metra dash kit with a Pioneer NEX7100.

This is on a Camaro 2013 2SS/RS that had MyLink with Navigation.

First, I was going to get a Scosche kit, but found out (the hard way.. we tried to install it) that the Scosche kit does not work on cats with factory Nav... Oh well, returned it and ordered the Metra dash kit.

Everything works great except for 2 things:

1. The Lock/Unlock button the Metra dash kit do not work -- every other button works perfectly. Just lock and unlock doesn't work (door locks). Anyone seen this issue?

2. I am not sure if this is a Metra dash kit issue or not. But, on the steering wheel controls, when I hit the "voice command" button, the OnStart module takes over. I used to be able to use this to make phone calls, etc. through My Link. I was hoping it would activate Siri with CarPlay on the Pioneer NEX7100. Anyone know how to make this work?

Thanks!!
CamALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
Lock/unlock button doesn't work on any models of Metra or schoche because there isn't a lock/unlock button that's on the harness without having to tap into the factory wires, pretty sure 95% of us have that same issue with that button, it's a useless button as far as i'm concerned.

As far as issue two goes, the installer has a box where he can program the controls of your vehicle, it's an aftermarket kit, he will have to reprogram it because we don't know what kit he used.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:46 AM   #3
vgradio

Drives: ZL1 convertible 2013 Silver Ice
I have the same issue for the door. It is normal according the Metra support, since I have the function in the car (door switches).

For the second issue (I also have a Pioneer), the call buton switches the radio and the axxess interface off, or on; which is fine for me.

When i put the Pioneer AV on OFF, using the AV buton, the amp remains on and I can hear a small noise still in the speakers, which is anoying.
vgradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:32 AM   #4
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgradio View Post
I have the same issue for the door. It is normal according the Metra support, since I have the function in the car (door switches).

For the second issue (I also have a Pioneer), the call buton switches the radio and the axxess interface off, or on; which is fine for me.

When i put the Pioneer AV on OFF, using the AV buton, the amp remains on and I can hear a small noise still in the speakers, which is anoying.
Your set up is not grounded properly, if it was you wouldn't get any noise through your speakers! I used the studs under the rear speakers to ground my amps. You needs to sand off a small section of paint, that's all.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutpie View Post
Lock/unlock button doesn't work on any models of Metra or schoche because there isn't a lock/unlock button that's on the harness without having to tap into the factory wires, pretty sure 95% of us have that same issue with that button, it's a useless button as far as i'm concerned.

As far as issue two goes, the installer has a box where he can program the controls of your vehicle, it's an aftermarket kit, he will have to reprogram it because we don't know what kit he used.
I have the schoche kit with a Kenwood dnx891 and the door locks buttons works.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #6
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
I have the schoche kit with a Kenwood dnx891 and the door locks buttons works.
Thats because your Camaro is a 2011. 2010 and 2011's had the door lock switch between the HVAC controls. In 2012 that switch was moved to the door panels, so the wiring to the switch isn't present in the dash wiring harness where the Scosche/Metra kits mount.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:56 PM   #7
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Thats because your Camaro is a 2011. 2010 and 2011's had the door lock switch between the HVAC controls. In 2012 that switch was moved to the door panels, so the wiring to the switch isn't present in the dash wiring harness where the Scosche/Metra kits mount.
2012 has the wiring in the doors and the dash . I honestly haven't tried the lock and unlock on my Metra kit . I had mine professionally installed . I'll have to try the Metra kit and see if it works . I've always just used the switch on the door .

Edit : The Lock /Unlock buttons work fine on my Metra Kit .

Last edited by 1Coopgt; 01-04-2016 at 09:48 PM.
1Coopgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #8
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I was thinking that the can bus wire did the unlocking and locking but I guess I am wrong on that.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #9
vgradio

Drives: ZL1 convertible 2013 Silver Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeperRS View Post
Your set up is not grounded properly, if it was you wouldn't get any noise through your speakers! I used the studs under the rear speakers to ground my amps. You needs to sand off a small section of paint, that's all.
My amp is powered and grounded directly to the battery, with about 2m cables. Is it wrong to do so??

What does surprise me is that the head unit amp command (blue/white cable) remains at +12V when the AV is OFF. I did not find a way to really switch the unit 100% OFF. So I have disconnected the amp command between the Metra axxess box and the Pioneer head unit. The Axxess box does control the amp by itself.

Now that I have disconnected my head unit this afternoon, the call button does not do anything at all??? really strange the steering wheel control!!!!
vgradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:12 PM   #10
CreeperRS

I had noise when I had my amps grounded to the battery. Changed my ground location, problem gone.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #11
CreeperRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgradio View Post
My amp is powered and grounded directly to the battery, with about 2m cables. Is it wrong to do so??

What does surprise me is that the head unit amp command (blue/white cable) remains at +12V when the AV is OFF. I did not find a way to really switch the unit 100% OFF. So I have disconnected the amp command between the Metra axxess box and the Pioneer head unit. The Axxess box does control the amp by itself.

Now that I have disconnected my head unit this afternoon, the call button does not do anything at all??? really strange the steering wheel control!!!!
You're talking about your remote lead turn on, yeah that shouldn't be hot all the time! I think you may have made a mistake. My remote lead only had about 1-1.5v when live, and it always shuts off when car was off.