Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-30-2015, 06:26 PM   #1
jos3ywales

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro Black
Best Mufflers for SS

NO way I can afford 1,000 or more for Corsa which I would love (Best Sounding IMO) and even the Axle Backs most are over $600. Whats you guys thought on just adding Mufflers to Stock Exhaust and if so Best Sounding and Flow for the money? I plan on going maybe with Borla or Corsa after I save up the cash but this is until then.
jos3ywales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Solo axle back with J pipes here, basically a stainless steel muffler kit with J pipes to get rid of drone

Absolutely in love with it. My only complaint is I don't really hear it wake up till 2K in the cabin, and I have to sit outside to really hear it roar. It's the best of both worlds I'd say, Apex sells them for like $500 I think.
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by jos3ywales View Post
NO way I can afford 1,000 or more for Corsa which I would love (Best Sounding IMO) and even the Axle Backs most are over $600. Whats you guys thought on just adding Mufflers to Stock Exhaust and if so Best Sounding and Flow for the money? I plan on going maybe with Borla or Corsa after I save up the cash but this is until then.
NONE!!! Go Solo so that you get J pipes to eliminate the possibility of drone. If you have a L99 it is the best exhaust IMO, but to really get some good sound you should go with their Mach XL catback so that you eliminate the stock resonator for Solo's muffled X pipe. If you have a LS3 then an axle back shouldn't be too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
My only complaint is I don't really hear it wake up till 2K in the cabin, and I have to sit outside to really hear it roar.
If you want to hear it roar, then install long tube headers. The exhaust gets real nice with LT's!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
NC_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
If you want to hear it roar, then install long tube headers. The exhaust gets real nice with LT's!
I'm looking at BBK and a few others

Any recommendations? I don't necessarily want to spend $1,300 on kooks headers or something.

Not bashing them, amazing product but if I was gonna spend that kind of cash I'd swing for 3.73 gears or something
Old 12-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #5
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Solo Mach XL on mine as well.. Awesome sounding exhaust and can't wait to upgrade to Kooks LT headers soon.

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Holley Dominator ECU, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, Kooks Headers, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:13 PM   #6
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
I would recommend Solo mach or the Stainless works retro chambered 3 inch system. that is the two I chose from and went with SW. it is mufflerless system, having four chambers that have a unique design that has raised little cup like teeth that kind of mold the sound in to a deeper tone. was a tough decision I think I would have been happy either way but I am glad I went SW. might want to check out the apex videos on the SW, those video's also sold me on LT headers

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:34 PM   #7
FASTDIESEL

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SLP Cosmetics
I put my exhaust dollars into a set of Speed-Engineering headers (came with off-road pipes, no cats). Sounds great with the stock system. Quiet at low throttle, growls when you're in it.

And before anyone hates on the cheap headers, they fit great, look great, preform great, haven't cracked/rattled/loosened in 10 months of daily driving!
13.244 @ 104.91 100% stock (#17).
Now - Mike Norris catch can. 245/50/19 Firestone Wingfoot A/S on LT2 black powder coated rims (square). 1 7/8" Speed-Engineering LTH, off road pipes, tune.
Now 12.93 @ 109.13.
FASTDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #8
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
Swapped the factory with MagnaFlows and installed headers. I like the sound.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:30 PM   #9
jos3ywales

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro Black
anyone one got any vids of there cars with the Mufflers on em mine is a L99 by the way
jos3ywales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:09 AM   #10
pyroguy

Quote:
I'm looking at BBK and a few others

Any recommendations? I don't necessarily want to spend $1,300 on kooks headers or something.

Not bashing them, amazing product but if I was gonna spend that kind of cash I'd swing for 3.73 gears or something
No offense taken. I originally thought I didn't want to spend the $$ on Kooks, but I ultimately did because I wanted the American made, lifetime warrantied, guaranteed quality. That being said, there are some high quality products that are more budget based. Texas Speed, Stainless Power, and OBX are the most popular choices here on the forums. Texas Speed, to my knowledge, isn't a knock off of anyone, Stainless Power is Stainless Works made in China, and OBX is a Kooks knock off. I looked at BBK's LT's because I had BBK shorty headers on the car when I bought it and they were nice quality. However, unless something has changed since I last looked at them they only came in 1 3/4" and you should really go ahead and go 1 7/8" or 2" depending on your future modification plans. If you go with www.marylandspeed.com you can get the headers ceramic coated which will prevent discoloration with use as well as reduce engine bay temperature. They had a code that I know applied for Kooks, 'freecoatkooks' but it might work for others too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith17 View Post
Solo Mach XL on mine as well.. Awesome sounding exhaust and can't wait to upgrade to Kooks LT headers soon.
Here's my Solo Mach XL with Kooks w/ cats. I have to say, it is AWESOME!! Just a warning, cold start in the garage is a little intense, but in a good way. In the video I only revved to 4k max in the video because I'm waiting to tune before going full out.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:33 AM   #11
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
I think I have a different answer for you. First off, I have the solo axleback with J pipes. If you add any muffler to the car Stock, it will not change the sound very much. You should only consider keeping a muffler if you're going to add headers IMO.

The answer depends on how much money you wanna spend, what your future plans are for the car (headers?) and what sound you want (more raw or refined).

Chopping muffers off and putting straight pipe - cheapest option but may have too much drone for you. ~$100 or less.

Solo axleback with J-pipe- chops off mufflers but adds j-pipe for resonance to eliminate drone. $500

If you plan to do headers in the future, an axleback without mufflers can get too loud depending on your tolerance and if you do the cats as well. So in that case you should start with the headers.

As you know, a standard (flomaster, magnaflow etc) setup with mufflers is quite costly but it will give you a smoother more refined sound. I prefer a more raw sound which is why I love the muffler delete. It's just a bit quiet still though until you get over 3krpm so I'm not planning to change out the Cats for high flow since I'm not planning to do headers.

If no headers are in your future, you can take a stepped approach like I did but in hindsight, I'd probably start with high flow cats since they will give you some power and sound. Then work my way back instead of the other direction like I did. In the end though, it might all cost you the same as going with a complete system when you add in the install costs

J
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:23 AM   #12
NC_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
No offense taken. I originally thought I didn't want to spend the $$ on Kooks, but I ultimately did because I wanted the American made, lifetime warrantied, guaranteed quality. That being said, there are some high quality products that are more budget based. Texas Speed, Stainless Power, and OBX are the most popular choices here on the forums. Texas Speed, to my knowledge, isn't a knock off of anyone, Stainless Power is Stainless Works made in China, and OBX is a Kooks knock off. I looked at BBK's LT's because I had BBK shorty headers on the car when I bought it and they were nice quality. However, unless something has changed since I last looked at them they only came in 1 3/4" and you should really go ahead and go 1 7/8" or 2" depending on your future modification plans. If you go with www.marylandspeed.com you can get the headers ceramic coated which will prevent discoloration with use as well as reduce engine bay temperature. They had a code that I know applied for Kooks, 'freecoatkooks' but it might work for others too.
Thanks for the info, the OBX and Texas Speed ones look good for a decent price

I'll keep everything you said in mind. Now would I immediately need to go with high flow cats for headers or could I keep stock cats on till I got high flow cats?
Old 12-31-2015, 08:50 AM   #13
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:

I'll keep everything you said in mind. Now would I immediately need to go with high flow cats for headers or could I keep stock cats on till I got high flow cats?
Heres a good scenario......keep everything stock except your cats. There is nothing that changes your exhaust sound on it own as much as hi flow cats do.

Heres on with muffler delete also.

rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:51 AM   #14
pyroguy

Quote:

The Stainless Power ones are good too, don't mistake the logo with Stainless Works. Same company, just Stainless Power is China made and much less expensive.

Yes you would need new cats with long tube headers. They can and should be ordered at the same time as the headers. The stock cats do not bolt up to and long tube headers no matter the brand. Besides, you don't want stock cats with long tubes. The biggest choke point in a 5th Gen exhaust are the stock cats in terms of both sound and power.