Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #43
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSummit View Post
They only keep them for a year- then the next owner gets the oil consumption issues, the premature wear from the constant beating etc.
Break-in is not BS. I have an Impala in my shop now that was a former rental and it's getting a new engine. Coincidental? Maybe.
I am not saying its BS, but there are seemingly an equal number of folks that followed GM's recommendations as there are that drove it like they stole it from the get go. And the drove it like you stole it crowd claims they have done this to every car they have ever owned, and never had an issue. As you well know, many things can get a car into the condition that the Impala is now, and we may never know what hurt this one.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:59 PM   #44
KR4545

Drives: 2012 2SS
Most of the rental Camaros aren't actual rentals, they just classify them as such to save money. A private business could "rent" a fleet of these for their own use and the cars are assigned to just one employee for the duration.

I had an Audi S4 through this program, our company didn't need to pay for any maintenance, insurance, bother with all the DMV stuff, etc. and if the car "blew up" we would just call and they sent out another one. We never really beat on them since it was basically our car for 20,000 miles and the maintenance always got done Enterprise would send a guy out to pick the car up from work and bring it back when they were done.

And here's one for ya! If the car was an enterprise rental from Orange county NY then there's a 99% chance it was driven all those miles by a soldier, and is a V6.
KR4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #45
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
I have, the last Monte Carlo I had was a rental. The dealership gave me a great price on it, plus threw in the GMPP extended warranty at my request. That was the only way I was going to buy it.
But, as others have mentioned here, a Monte Carlo is not a Camaro, and I would be very hesitant of buying one for the fear that it was beat up pretty good.

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #46
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I buy some rentals for our car lot sometimes, worked out just fine. Well, sometimes it took a while to get our titles!
Old 06-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #47
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
I rent cars all the time and I just drive them normally. However, they are not Camaros.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #48
Dale_K

Drives: 2014 1LS
I have an ex-Hertz California Chrysler 200 convertible and it's been a good purchase. Only 13k miles and still had 18 months of factory warranty on it plus extra warranty in the form of "certified pre owned" status from Chrysler.

No problems except there were millions of tiny scratches in the paint from the Hertz mechanical car wash equipment. I had to buff the car to get them out but no major problems otherwise. I'm actually considering doing this again when the Chrysler gets old and buying an ex-rental convertible Camaro. That will be a long time in the future since the Chrysler only has 31k miles right now.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #49
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I don't think the engine blowing up is ever much of a concern, its how efficient it is at the 100K and 200K mile mark. That is where the effect of the breakin will be noticed in my opinion. That being said, I do think a lot more is made out of it then is necessary, so I kind of agree with you.

I agree. I decent break in probably contributes to longer engine life. I just don't buy the 1500 mile crap. A guy who drives on the highway all the time will get to 1500 miles a lot quicker than a guy who drives in the city. I'm sort of in the "take it easy for the first couple of weeks, then have at it," camp.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #50
SupportGeek

Drives: 2015 1SS/RS Blue Velvet Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
Other obvious reason I wouldn't buy a rental car if you paid me to: They're all automatics.
This is a major sticking point for me, I was taught to drive stick by my father when I first learned to drive, for me its part of the thing that makes driving feel "right".
I know recently Automatics have been faster at shifting but I always feel like adding an automatic option is making me pay $2000 to leave horsepower on the table.
SupportGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:59 PM   #51
seven

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS 2LT AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace16 View Post
What's the fastest car in the world? ... A rental
Ya know I wasn't even going to bother reading this post.....but I need a good laugh....thanks!!!!! And yes so true....
2015 RS Camaro 2LT with Sunroof, Performance Exhaust, Ground Effects, Tinted Windows, LED Fog Lights(DD), CAI Cold Air Intake, Ghosted Side Markers(Showstopper), Elite Catch Can, Xpel & SunTek PPF, Replica Z28 High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 Replica Wheels(Satin Black Factory Reproductions)
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #52
Devon
Highway Man

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
I've gotten rental cars airborne before. Have never been gentle with a rental. Personally I'd never buy a former rental unless I got it real cheap and was planning some stupid things for it

Roto-Fab Intake
Tuned by dynosteve @ RDP
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #53
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
this thread seems silly. peeps say not to buy a rental SS because they are driven hard, when in fact, most folks who own the same cars drive them hard anyway. whats the difference if the renter does burnouts all the time and a one owner does the same thing? both cars, personal and rentals get maintained. I am confused. frankly, I wouldn't buy used from either party. but it seems ironic that the same peeps on here who state they drive rentals like they stole it would more than likely do the same to their own cars. not saying that its a bad thing either way, but there is a sense of irony here.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:34 PM   #54
1BadAssSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Get the CarFax!
1BadAssSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:48 PM   #55
SSICKO

Drives: SSICKO
Mine was a rental...only issue i had was needing a new wiper motor under warranty...then i modded the shit out of it and i have no problems with it.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:12 PM   #56
Jsafe17

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6spd LS3
It would kind of be like going to the house of ill-repute to find a wife, anything that has been ridden that hard and that many times is nothing you want to put your key into... but that's just me..
Jsafe17 is offline   Reply With Quote