Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-21-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Recall Key work around

If I get 2 of these EOM switchblade fobs do they have to be cut and programmed or just programmed? Can a locksmith do it or can they only be programmed by a dealer ?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...23860_70668690

Once they're programmed I plan to turn them in for the recall keys ...so I'm registered as having done the recall for insurance purposes while still keeping/using my original switchblade keys.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
J-vette

Drives: '14 1le
Just sign the waiver & save yourself the hassle.
J-vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:37 PM   #3
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
there is no waver. its 100% optional to get the recall.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
acethetics
Ace

Drives: 2012 RS
Send a message via Skype™ to acethetics
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
If I get 2 of these EOM switchblade fobs do they have to be cut and programmed or just programmed? Can a locksmith do it or can they only be programmed by a dealer ?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...23860_70668690

Once they're programmed I plan to turn them in for the recall keys ...so I'm registered as having done the recall for insurance purposes while still keeping/using my original switchblade keys.
I recently bought a uncut FOB off a member, paid a locksmith to cut it, ($25-$50 for a cut depending on the store) And to program the key it's as simple as:
1) stick old key into ignition and turn to "on" (it's the position before "start")
2) turn off and take out old key
3) quickly (like a few seconds) insert new key and turn to "on"

new key should be programmed.

(Do not pay the locksmith to program the key, it's expensive and very easy to do yourself!)
Old 09-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #5
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by acethetics View Post
I recently bought a uncut FOB off a member, paid a locksmith to cut it, ($25-$50 for a cut depending on the store) And to program the key it's as simple as:
1) stick old key into ignition and turn to "on" (it's the position before "start")
2) turn off and take out old key
3) quickly (like a few seconds) insert new key and turn to "on"

new key should be programmed.

(Do not pay the locksmith to program the key, it's expensive and very easy to do yourself!)
Thanks! Do you have remote start?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
or you could just throw the letter away and not have to figure out a work around.

If you're seriously worried about the insurance company investigating in the event of an accident, then you've left them this thread on the internet to find, and when they inspect the wrecked car and see the switchblade in the ignition...

Declining a voluntary recall is a bit less serious than what looks alot like insurance fraud.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Why does everyone have to so totally over complicate such a simple thing. It is your car and your key fobs... In case you forgot, you purchased them. They are yours. You don't have to turn them in for the recall. Pull up the trousers and ignore the paper letter that came in the freakin mail.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
...so I'm registered as having done the recall for insurance purposes
Insurance companies don't keep track nor care if you had a recall done.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Insurance companies don't keep track nor care if you had a recall done.
I not so sure about that - if it came down to an injury lawsuit to get payment, I'm pretty sure the insurance company would not hesitate to play the "failed to do the recall" card.

I couldn't hit my fob with my knee if I wanted to though (I've tried it), so I'm pretty sure I'll take my chances with the switchblade.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
I took my car in for an oil leak a couple of months ago. They asked if i had time and that they would swap out the keys associated with the recall. I told my service guy that i would rather keep my switchblades and I did have to sign a waiver saying that opted to keep instead of.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:25 AM   #11
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I not so sure about that - if it came down to an injury lawsuit to get payment, I'm pretty sure the insurance company would not hesitate to play the "failed to do the recall" card.
Injury lawsuits are never against insurance companies, they are against the manufacturer or against the individual if it affected other people.

Here is a real life example. http://www.mcdowellnews.com/news/wre...a4bcf6878.html I'm friends with the family that was hit. Their Dodge had a recall on it in which the driver and front passenger seat would break during a rear end collision causing them to fall backwards. When they was hit, their seats broke, just like the recall states they would, and they fell backwards on top of the children. Their seats breaking is what caused the death of their youngest son and crippled the oldest, not the actual wreck. The insurance company still covered them and payed out their insurance policy despite the fact that they didn't do the recall that could have prevented this from happening.

Insurance companies do not, can not, nor have access to such data to keep track of whether or not a recall has been done.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Injury lawsuits are never against insurance companies, they are against the manufacturer or against the individual if it affected other people.

Here is a real life example. http://www.mcdowellnews.com/news/wre...a4bcf6878.html I'm friends with the family that was hit. Their Dodge had a recall on it in which the driver and front passenger seat would break during a rear end collision causing them to fall backwards. When they was hit, their seats broke, just like the recall states they would, and they fell backwards on top of the children. Their seats breaking is what caused the death of their youngest son and crippled the oldest, not the actual wreck. The insurance company still covered them and payed out their insurance policy despite the fact that they didn't do the recall that could have prevented this from happening.

Insurance companies do not, can not, nor have access to such data to keep track of whether or not a recall has been done.
I'm 100% positive that any insurance company can look up the car fax on any vehicle, and the car fax will show if a recall has or has not been performed.
I'm not saying that changes what you're saying happens, but they can definitely see that you have not had a recall performed
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote