Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
forklord

Drives: 2010 2SS
Removing "CAMARO" on the side panel

just removed it, should have waited til it was warmer or i had my heatgun. i rubbed off the rest of the foam sticky stuff (there was a lot left behind cuz i didnt use damn heat) with goo gone automotive spray gel. what a pain in the ass. its gone now but you can still see the outilne of letters and it just spread the stickiness around and/or scratched the paint! im not really sure what to do. ill post some pictures later when i get the car out again. either keep buffing it out with goo gone or a clay bar and then wax? i dont think its scratches because water wont stick to it like the rest of the body.
2010 2SS- 562whp/634wtq 12 psi on3 turbo 78mm magnum /w aem truboost, pat g cam, Kooks 3" catback, Factory Rep 41s with 285/315 20" michelin PSS, Snow Meth, Hex Hood Vents, ZL1 FP & ADM FPCM /w JMS BAP, ID 850s, DSS lvl 4 axles & aluminum 1 piece D/S, Total Pro BMR bushings, fe4 sways, toe rods & trailing arms, Prothane engine mounts, MGW shifter, eaton true trac, mantic 9000 clutch, idealg master cylinder, JDP clutch oil reservoir, ram clutch pedal adjust, Tick clutch & bleed lines, Dewitts Rad
forklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Mine was a pain too, it's just the left over goo on it. Goo-gone and using your finger worked for me. Then clay bar. The good news is it really looks nice once you get all the glue off.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
forklord

Drives: 2010 2SS
ok i was afraid with the shitty painy job they done on sone cars it might be paint. ill try again when its nice and warm out. warm up that glue!!
2010 2SS- 562whp/634wtq 12 psi on3 turbo 78mm magnum /w aem truboost, pat g cam, Kooks 3" catback, Factory Rep 41s with 285/315 20" michelin PSS, Snow Meth, Hex Hood Vents, ZL1 FP & ADM FPCM /w JMS BAP, ID 850s, DSS lvl 4 axles & aluminum 1 piece D/S, Total Pro BMR bushings, fe4 sways, toe rods & trailing arms, Prothane engine mounts, MGW shifter, eaton true trac, mantic 9000 clutch, idealg master cylinder, JDP clutch oil reservoir, ram clutch pedal adjust, Tick clutch & bleed lines, Dewitts Rad
forklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
mikec1le

Drives: 2014 White 1SS 1LE
I used 3M general purpose adhesive remover on mine, it worked great for me.
mikec1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
ProfessorRhone

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec1le View Post
I used 3M general purpose adhesive remover on mine, it worked great for me.
Used the same on mine (plus the heat gun and fishing line). Dust would still collect where the letters had been. Once polished that went away though and I love the look!
Dual-Mode, Recaros, Sunroof, Nav
----------------------------------------
ZL1 Rockers
RPI Stealth Splash Guards
De-badged (except blacked-out front bowtie)
ProfessorRhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
How about WD40? I use it on general stuff to soften the glue then wash it off.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
You want to use an adhesive remover (3M would be the best), followed by clay, and finishing with a light polish.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Just a quick tip incase anybody else wants to do this, use a hair drier, not a heat gun, a heat gun can damage your paint. Also use a plastic tool or credit card to slowly pry while keeping the hair drier on hot and slowly lift. You will see the adhesive pull right off the car and stay stuck to the badge/letter you are removing. About two minutes per letter. If done this way NO Glue/Adhesive will remain on the car. A little spray of detail spray or sealer then wax and you're all set! DO NOT USE FLOSS OR FISHING LINE. THIS ONLY SLICES THRU THE ADHESIVE AND LEAVES A LOT OF THAT CRAP STUCK TO THE CAR.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
DylanVK

Drives: a few
I've de-badged every single car I've ever owned, most of which were Chevy trucks and the emblems and badges are much larger than whats on the Camaro. Not to mention the name is just longer on most of the trucks:

S I L V E R A D O
A V A L A N C H E
C A M A R O

One thing for sure you certainly don't want to use a plastic tool to "pry" on anything... the surface you'll be using for leverage is the metal panels of your car and prying on things will lead to dents, ripples, and other damage. A heat gun is also perfectly acceptable so long as some basic common sense rules are applied - don't use it on high, keep it moving, and don't heat the panel more than necessary.

My method -

1. Start by parking the vehicle outside, exposed to sun (if weather permits) to warm the panels.
  2. Using a heat gun on low setting heat the badge/lettering slowly. Occasionally stop and give the piece a nudge, when it wiggles easily you've softened the adhesive sufficiently. (NOTE: A hairdryer can be used if you don't have a heat gun, but it takes significantly longer to get the heat needed)
  3. Using a long piece of 100lbs test fishing line -available at most any sporting goods store / Cabellas / Bass Pro - work it between the panel and the emblem. Pull with both hands behind the lettering or badge and the emblems should come off. You'll be left with a black foam type material and adhesive to deal with.
  4. If any large, easy to remove chunks of the foam/adhesive tape remain pull those off by hand.
  5. If the panel is still hot cool it with water or wait for it to return to normal/ambient temp.
  6. Spray the remaining parts of the foam/adheisve with 3M General Purpose Adhesive remover. (part number 03168 specifically) and let it dwell for a moment. Wipe clean with a microfiber towel.
    Repeat as needed if residues remain. AVOID SPRAYING THE ADHESIVE REMOVER ON TRIM OR FAUX CHROME FINISHES AS THEY CAN DISCOLOR
  7. Flush the area well with water or a detail spray, then clay to remove any remaining residues.
  8. Polish to correct any ghosting or outlines left behind. The longer the badge was on the car and the color of the car may require varying degrees of polish.

If you are feeling brave you can stop at step 5 and jump to a 3M eraser wheel. They are very effective and ridiculously fast for removing the foam tape backing, but if you're not cautious can damage paint.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/detai...nlyStore=false

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
I've always use ronsonol lighter fluid/naptha to remove the residue. Done it on many vehicles and it works like a charm. Follow up with all purpose cleaner and wax or clay bar.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #11
69 Z11
69 Z11

Drives: 2017 ZL1 vert, 1969 Pace Car
Get a short length of fishing line. Grab an end in each hand and slide it in behind the letter. Use a slight back and forth sawing motion pulling slightly outward (kind of like flossing your teeth) to cut through the foam adhesive pad. Works amazing and is really fast. Remove the remaining foam with any of the methods mentioned above.
69 Z11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #12
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
A hairdryer, dental floss and carb or brake cleaner worked for me, followed up with polishing the area.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:57 AM   #13
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
This is all great advice. Now, after You are done cleaning and detailing the area, how do you put it back on?
Old 06-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #14
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaron View Post
This is all great advice. Now, after You are done cleaning and detailing the area, how do you put it back on?

Since I didn't plan on ever using mine again, I just stuck them on the car that was parked next to me!
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote