Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
Shiftgreen

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE AGM
New car, never washed.

I looked through the forums since yesterday and couldn't find the exact answers. I just got my car monday, the dealership prepped it, i was worried about that, but he said those guys are good and know what they are doing. I triple checked afterwards and saw no swirl marks or scratches, but I am not sure they waxed it. It look like it was just a wash maybe, it didnt have the smooth slick surface a wax has.

My question - I have a performance car place near my house that sells higher quality cleaning care for cars, and I wanted to go there tonight. Even though it's been 3 days ago, the pollen is all over my car.
Should I wash it, or rinse it off ? I was planning on using a handful of micro fiber towels for drying, and a microfiber sponge to wash.

Would it be ok to wax being so new or should I wait a little longer?

Lastly whats a good overall vehicle soap and wax most are using on here that wouldn't require me to special order ?

thanks !
Shiftgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Your going to get a 1000 ideas. Go to the shop that you talked about and get a good car wash they have. Get a wax that will get you by until you can really get a good detail on the car. I just spent all day giving mine a good outside cleaning for the Fest- Wash,Clay, Rinse, Glaze, Wax, didn't have any sealant on hand so that got skipped.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
You should clay bar, iron removal and lay at least a layer of wax down.

Wash using the two bucket method with grit guards.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
Schluney

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruck View Post
You should clay bar, iron removal and lay at least a layer of wax down.

Wash using the two bucket method with grit guards.

+1 I did a lot of research and ended up doing this as soon as I got my car
Old 04-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
There's no such thing as good that won't require you to special order.

Good luck.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Beware of the product pushers. Ordering cleaners, waxes, clay bars, etc on line doesn't always guarantee professional results.
There's good products you can get locally. I have received trophies/awards detailing my Camaro and antique cars at national
and local shows without spending 5 cents on internet hyped products.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #7
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Beware of the product pushers. Ordering cleaners, waxes, clay bars, etc on line doesn't always guarantee professional results.
There's good products you can get locally. I have received trophies/awards detailing my Camaro and antique cars at national
Winning shows isn't an indicator on how effective products are to one another...
Old 04-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I won a car show after driving through an hour and half of rain and road grime.

Has nothing to do with detailing.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I won a car show after driving through an hour and half of rain and road grime.

Has nothing to do with detailing.

I'm still waiting to see the close up shots of the surface of that show car!
Old 04-26-2014, 10:10 PM   #10
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
We've all seen good and bad paint at shows. It's amazing to me when i go to a show and hear people comment on how good a particular car looks and all I see are buffer trails and swirls.

I will say that the only one I have to satisfy with the condition of my car is myself. Unfortunately I'm never satisfied.

Last edited by charlietuna; 04-27-2014 at 01:26 PM.
charlietuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #11
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftgreen View Post
I looked through the forums since yesterday and couldn't find the exact answers. I just got my car monday, the dealership prepped it, i was worried about that, but he said those guys are good and know what they are doing. I triple checked afterwards and saw no swirl marks or scratches, but I am not sure they waxed it. It look like it was just a wash maybe, it didnt have the smooth slick surface a wax has.

My question - I have a performance car place near my house that sells higher quality cleaning care for cars, and I wanted to go there tonight. Even though it's been 3 days ago, the pollen is all over my car.
Should I wash it, or rinse it off ? I was planning on using a handful of micro fiber towels for drying, and a microfiber sponge to wash.

Would it be ok to wax being so new or should I wait a little longer?

Lastly whats a good overall vehicle soap and wax most are using on here that wouldn't require me to special order ?

thanks !
With regards to detail products and methodologies, you have to pick your poision. There's SO much stuff, and people claim different results. I'm a fan of simple chemistry and good technique. Everything I have comes from either Home Depot or an auto parts store. A lot of people call that "crap" but it really is in how you use the products.

To answer your questions, 1) I wouldn't ever advise against just rinsing your car, unless it's a total emergency, i.e. someone throws an egg at it, or spills something on it). Most rinses will just leave bad water spots.

For heavy pollen fallout, I'd recommend washing it once a week until the count goes down, just to keep it from caking everywhere. After you do wash, rinse well. Especially sunroof-ed cars, the drain lines for the sunroof channels can eventually clog with pollen and other junk.

2) The paint is already cured on production cars, so you don't need to wait to wax it. It's ready right now, and after a long rail ride and lots of waiting outside until you finally bought your new car, it would love for you to wash, clay, and wax it.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote