Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post
Not if its tuned
Missed the tune part. Time to open the wallet.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #16
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Would the dealer have to prove the tune caused the failure?
Old 07-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #17
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
How can they even prove it was tuned if the ecm is fried?

I would be pushing for my $600 back.
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Guys, its a guess... wait til the OP updates us. We all know a dealer has to prove that the mod in question made the computer fail... (pure speculation) If the dealer did deny a warranty because of a tune... what are you gonna do..Sounds like the car is fixed. You pay the $600 or pay for an attorney to argue this and most likely not release ur car until the bill is paid... more $$$$$$..
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #19
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
How can they even prove it was tuned if the ecm is fried?

I would be pushing for my $600 back.
Where is the data log stored?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #20
goodtry

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Not sure, they said the computer would not take a VIN or flash. I even bought the 100k warranty when purchased last September! Oh, bought both kids new cars this year as they finished college, one a Sonic the other a Cruze just last Saturday one day before the computer crash. I'm not rich, far from it, but spent 100k in the last yr on these 3 cars from GM. Going to pick the Z up tomorrow.
goodtry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #21
Top Off

Drives: 2012 LS3 1SS/RS Vert
While I agree that the fact you had your tune done about 8 months ago should not have caused the problem. The fact is the ECM was "tampered" with in the eyes of GM. You have posted this info on a public forum. I personally think the dealer no matter what should step up based on your previous history with them.
My 2 cents
Top Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
JWR046

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtry View Post
Not sure, they said the computer would not take a VIN or flash. I even bought the 100k warranty when purchased last September! Oh, bought both kids new cars this year as they finished college, one a Sonic the other a Cruze just last Saturday one day before the computer crash. I'm not rich, far from it, but spent 100k in the last yr on these 3 cars from GM. Going to pick the Z up tomorrow.
I would think the dealer would do the best they could to take care of it. If u are a good customer they should do the best they can to help you and retain you especially with the low mileage. I know that sometimes they have to hook the car up to the computer and diagnose it and send that to gm. If they saw a tune then you know the risk.
JWR046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #23
Blainne

Drives: 2004 SRT10
Quote:
Guys, its a guess... wait til the OP updates us. We all know a dealer has to prove that the mod in question made the computer fail... (pure speculation) If the dealer did deny a warranty because of a tune... what are you gonna do..Sounds like the car is fixed. You pay the $600 or pay for an attorney to argue this and most likely not release ur car until the bill is paid... more $$$$$$..
I don't get a lawyer. I do worse. I don't EVER buy a new car from that Brand Again.

Ford did that crap to me on my old 03 SVT Cobra. I had a cat back exhaust kit. They denied my warranty for burnt valve guides. (Ford even had a TSB for it.)

NEVER bought a new Ford AGAIN. Oh then word of mouth... and more people don't buy their brand. Lets just say noone in my family or extended family has bought a new Ford since. Chevy and Dodge said "Thank you Ford for your Crappy service." My parents buy a new Chevy or 2 every year. Thats just one intance of what happens. The cost of a 500 dollar repair really cost Ford well over 30,000 in profits and growing yearly. Then theres all the people I have convinced not to buy a Ford....

BUT a tune could cause a CPU to go.. maybe. Reflashing it over and over. But then again. Chevy would do the same with any new CPU update.

Why I don't usually buy a car with warranty anymore. Don't care. Don't need it. You pay to play.
1970 Mach 1 (sold)
2007 GT500 (sold)
+20 others

Last edited by Blainne; 07-26-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Blainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #24
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Does not take two and two to figure this one out. Guy posted on this site that his computer is shot and he had a tune. Also he says on his Avatar his location is Atlanta. GM reps on here punch in the computer that a ZL1 in Atlanta needs new computer and the one he had has been tuned. Warranty denied. Car is probably also now flagged as no powertrain warranty.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #25
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blainne View Post
I don't get a lawyer. I do worse. I don't EVER buy a new car from that Brand Again.

Ford did that crap to me on my old 03 SVT Cobra. I had a cat back exhaust kit. They denied my warranty for burnt valve guides.

NEVER bought a new Ford AGAIN. Oh then word of mouth... and more people don't buy their brand. Lets just say noone in my family or extended family has bought a new Ford since. Chevy and Dodge said "Thank you Ford for your Crappy service." My parents buy a new Chevy or 2 every year. Thats just one intance of what happens. The cost of a 500 dollar repair really cost Ford well over 30,000 in profits and growing yearly. Then theres all the people I have convinced not to buy a Ford....

BUT a tune could cause a CPU to go.. maybe. Reflashing it over and over. But then again. Chevy would do the same with any new CPU update.
Things like this make me laugh, no disrespect. Whatever your reasons are
Not to ever buy a Ford is your deal... Ford, Chevy, Dodge were here long before you were and will probably never dissapear and will always make money with or with your sale.
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #26
Blainne

Quote:
Things like this make me laugh, no disrespect. Whatever your reasons are
Not to ever buy a Ford is your deal... Ford, Chevy, Dodge were here long before you were and will probably never dissapear and will always make money with or with your sale.
I stated my reason. Due to them voiding an previous car warranty over an aftermarket part completely unrelated to the broken part.

If you look at from a Business perspetive its the truth. There is a reason Toyota is the number 1 brand now. Piss off enough customer base. Your customer base leaves. Every year over the last 20 years US Companies have lost more and more of their corner of the market every year. It wasn't for their good customer service or great business practices. Just now over the last few years they have changes their ways and have taken notes from Companies such as Kia or Toyota on how to take care of customers. Sure losing my family and friends business is just a SPEC in their super profits, but if you don't care about 1 then its 100.. then 1000 then 10,000.. it adds up. Business 101.
1970 Mach 1 (sold)
2007 GT500 (sold)
+20 others
Old 07-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #27
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blainne View Post
I stated my reason. Due to them voiding an previous car warranty over an aftermarket part completely unrelated to the broken part.

If you look at from a Business perspetive its the truth. There is a reason Toyota is the number 1 brand now. Piss off enough customer base. Your customer base leaves. Every year over the last 20 years US Companies have lost more and more of their corner of the market every year. It wasn't for their good customer service or great business practices. Just now over the last few years they have changes their ways and have taken notes from Companies such as Kia or Toyota on how to take care of customers. Sure losing my family and friends business is just a SPEC in their super profits, but if you don't care about 1 then its 100.. then 1000 then 10,000.. it adds up. Business 101.

Are those owners modifying their Kia's and Toyota's with a "cat back exhaust"? I had a modified and lifted 1985 Ford F150 4X4 that the dealer that I purchased it from whined about working on it being lifted, etc,etc. They did the work and I never went to that dealer again. They ended up folding eventually anyway. You took your car to a particular dealer who determined that it didn't meet service requirements? You had used them before? Was there a referee involved or the dealer said so? The dealer thru the rep whom is actually FORD have to prove that your exhaust caused the burnt valve? Did you try a different dealer? Especially with an issued TSB. I had a 1996 SVT Cobra modified and never had a problem!
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #28
Blainne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Are those owners modifying their Kia's and Toyota's with a "cat back exhaust"? I had a modified and lifted 1985 Ford F150 4X4 that the dealer that I purchased it from whined about working on it being lifted, etc,etc. They did the work and I never went to that dealer again. They ended up folding eventually anyway. You took your car to a particular dealer who determined that it didn't meet service requirements? You had used them before? Was there a referee involved or the dealer said so? The dealer thru the rep whom is actually FORD have to prove that your exhaust caused the burnt valve? Did you try a different dealer? Especially with an issued TSB. I had a 1996 SVT Cobra modified and never had a problem!
Its a dealer roulette. If you have a good dealer then you won't have problems with certain mods. You get one BAD dealer and they void your warranty in the Database then your screwed no matter what other dealer you take the car to. I went to a dealer near DC, which was a bad choice. They did the above to me. I ended up replacing the entire engine with a MMR 900 and put the revised heads on..

Sucks being in the Military due to moving. You find one dealer thats good then in 3-4 years your moving again and have to start all over.
1970 Mach 1 (sold)
2007 GT500 (sold)
+20 others