The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Angry My (CENSORED) headlights stopped working

I was gonna go out and run down to the Kwik Fill for some hot chocolate and I got in my car started it up and was about to brush off the snow on my windows (not much as the snow on left door fell off when I closed it) and I saw that my auto lights (that turn on when the key is turned to ON) only had the park lights, dash lights and tails. I thought I was seeing things then the lights came on for a few seconds then shut back off again. I got in the car and shut it off and turned the switch on and off and got everything BUT the headlights. I work nights so I dunno how I can drive my car till I find out what is causing this. It has NEVER happened to me before.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
So this is on your Monte Carlo? Check the connection at the headlamps.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
yeah it is the Monte, the only car I have I cannot really check them in the dark I will in the morning.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I'm not sure how that wiring harness works but if both lights are out together it may be something else. The fact that they came back on intermittently says it's probably not a fuse but something in the wiring or maybe in the dash switch itself.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

well I have automatic lights so 90% of the time I never even USE that switch other than the times I want em on during day time like rain or snowy weather for other cars to see me.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

UPDATE, I do have high beams, but strangely I have no DRL lights cause what is strange is the DRL on my car ARE the high beams at low power.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
from this forum..
http://montecarloforum.com/forum/gen...lutions-30154/

Problem
: My headlights don’t work or my high beams won’t stay on
Like cause: Bad multifunction switch (MFS)
Temporary solution: Jiggle the MFS and you should be able to get the lights to work again. I stress that this is a temporary solution and should only be used to get the lights back on to drive somewhere to get it fixed.
Permanent solution: Replace the MFS (I advise against junkyard replacements for this repair).
Prevention: nothing
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

funny when I turn on the HIGH beams they do stay on till I click it again, I will try turning them back and forth. dumb question I take it he MFS is the turn signal stalk with the wiper controls correct?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Thumbs up

UPDATE I tried turning the high and lows off no luck. as I was pulling into my life local auto parts store I saw the reflection of my DRL put the car in park they shut off tried the lights via the switch and they worked. I will get a new switch soon it was $243 at the parts store.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Well if it it was a '98/'99 I've become an expert on those. But looks like '04 is different.
I did find this video for an Impala but should be the same. The problem is no high beams but still may be helpful.

MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
I was gonna go out and run down to the Kwik Fill for some hot chocolate and I got in my car started it up and was about to brush off the snow on my windows (not much as the snow on left door fell off when I closed it) and I saw that my auto lights (that turn on when the key is turned to ON) only had the park lights, dash lights and tails. I thought I was seeing things then the lights came on for a few seconds then shut back off again. I got in the car and shut it off and turned the switch on and off and got everything BUT the headlights. I work nights so I dunno how I can drive my car till I find out what is causing this. It has NEVER happened to me before.

I would definitely take it to a dealership to see if they can pinpoint the issue for you. Please let us know if you find out anything.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service