The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Question question: what causes GM wipers to be stuck in the UPRIGHT position when off?

I see tons of these cars mostly GM cars like Grand Prix and Impalas as well as the Venture vans, the wipers are stuck in the full upright pose but wipe normally when turned on but go back to that upright pose when off. I have yet to see any Monte Carlos (like mine) do this but IF my car does this what causes it and is it a relatively easy and hopefully not $$$ to fix?
Old 11-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I assume its just that the owner turned the car off without turning the wipers off. Or do you see them stuck like that while the car is driving?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Red face

when driving as well I forgot to mention that.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Some GM wiper motors have a park feature that sucks the wipers down even farther when in park. If the latch assembly in the wiper motor doesn't catch, the wipers will go around another half turn instead of tucking down below the hood line. It can be fixed, but most places just replace the motor.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Red face

years a go my mom had a Olds 88 from the mid 90s and when her wipers were turned off they looked like they were on, popped out from under the hood but they did not tuck in when shut off. I just was curious as I have only seen GM cars with this wiper issue but never on Chrysler or Ford cars/trucks.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
my mom had an astro van yeeaaarrrrssss ago..... the windshield wipers would turn on when you hit the left turn signal and when you turn the high beams on, the washer fluid would spray (but no wipers)...... we looked into the problem, we determined the cause was it was a POS!
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
I've seen this happen on many a Ford Topaz, Taurus (not the new Taurus'), and the Windstars.