Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #29
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpanda305x View Post
whats the different between hi flow cats and cat delete?

im in florida also so doesnt matter! no emission tests!!!

so what is the different performance , sound wise?
Not an expert, but a high flow cat is still going to be filtering, just is better flowing than stock cats. No cats No filter nothing to slow down any flow. You will have a stronger smell from your exhaust, kinda like a lawnmower, but isn't really bad you really have to be standing directly behind the car to notice.

The only purpose cats serve is for emissions nothing else benificial as far as performance, in fact it is probably easier on the engine to go without. Like I said I am not an expert that is just my understanding. Also would assume it would make the exhaust slightly louder do to higher flow, probably not much

I ran my little s10 for years with a gutted cat pulling a lawn trailer and it ran like a champ.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #30
Nvincent4708

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOLIE View Post
Not an expert, but a high flow cat is still going to be filtering, just is better flowing than stock cats. No cats No filter nothing to slow down any flow. You will have a stronger smell from your exhaust, kinda like a lawnmower, but isn't really bad you really have to be standing directly behind the car to notice.

The only purpose cats serve is for emissions nothing else benificial as far as performance, in fact it is probably easier on the engine to go without. Like I said I am not an expert that is just my understanding. Also would assume it would make the exhaust slightly louder do to higher flow, probably not much

I ran my little s10 for years with a gutted cat pulling a lawn trailer and it ran like a champ.
SHH..the government is listening!
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #31
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
Couple tips, do not use the gasket obx send and instead reuse the factory gasket or buy a new one from a dealer. most of us just reuse the factory gasket. You will also need 2 front o2 extention. Make sure you clean the header from any stains, oil drops, fingerprints, etc.. I made a mistake of not cleaning off my header before turning the car on for the first time and now every stain that was on my header is now embedded into the finish including couple blood stains
I'll have to dig harder but I didn't see any gasket in the box.
Also my mechanic asked if the stock gaskets are metal or only part metal. He says that if all metal it's OK to reuse.

Another question for the mechanic, does this come with shorter bolts? I didn't see any of those in the box either. I guess the flange thickness is radically different from stock to aftermarket.

Did any of you need shorter bolts?

I know, a lot of questions but I PM'd a member here who said that o2 extensions were not needed.

Any further input is appreciated.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #32
xpanda305x
Banned

Drives: Dark Knight
Alright then im buying these headers
xpanda305x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #33
ronvenna21

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Also intrested in the OBX headers, but I think living in california may be a disadvantage for me here... I think i should just go with a CAI first lol
ronvenna21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #34
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronvenna21 View Post
Also intrested in the OBX headers, but I think living in california may be a disadvantage for me here... I think i should just go with a CAI first lol
WITHOUT A DOUBT!

I didn't do the install myself, but was there through the whole thing and we did not need any extra parts. Although I will say the O2 sensor was very close to needing extension it was a tight fit. I don't remember if shorter bolts were needed, but I don't remember seeing any. Cant be 100 percent sure, curious if Bmore remembers on his.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #35
BSR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOLIE View Post
WITHOUT A DOUBT!

I didn't do the install myself, but was there through the whole thing and we did not need any extra parts. Although I will say the O2 sensor was very close to needing extension it was a tight fit. I don't remember if shorter bolts were needed, but I don't remember seeing any. Cant be 100 percent sure, curious if Bmore remembers on his.
Thanks, hopefully Bmore can chime in with his experience 'cause my mechanic is pretty worried about bolts & stuff.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #36
Jaime068
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpanda305x View Post
Alright then im buying these headers
Hey if you do PLEASE post up some vids...your mrts sound sick with the res delete, I can't wait to here it with headers!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #37
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
no shorter bolts needed. Just reuse the factory bolts. One problem I had was torquing down the bolts to recommended spec. Some bolts are just impossible to get to with a tq wrench so dont be scared if you just have to go by feel. Make sure to use some anti seize for the header and o2 bolts when screwing back in. Also becareful with the o2 sensor.. mess one up and is like 80-100 bucks a piece. Mine came off with ease just using a open wrench and tapping slightly.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #38
BSR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
no shorter bolts needed. Just reuse the factory bolts. One problem I had was torquing down the bolts to recommended spec. Some bolts are just impossible to get to with a tq wrench so dont be scared if you just have to go by feel. Make sure to use some anti seize for the header and o2 bolts when screwing back in. Also becareful with the o2 sensor.. mess one up and is like 80-100 bucks a piece. Mine came off with ease just using a open wrench and tapping slightly.
Thanks!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #39
BSR-1

The closer I looked at it the more I'm convinced that I can do it myself. Doesn't look too hard.

Anybody here do your own? how long did it take you? what was the worst part?
& How in the heck do you disconnect the O2 sensors from the wiring harness? I see they have a little green peg that looks like it's locking it in place but I pulled on it pretty good and no joy.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #40
Jaime068
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

For those who've done LT's how much was total for headers, tune, install???
Old 08-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #41
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime068 View Post
For those who've done LT's how much was total for headers, tune, install???
My headers where 800. Then 300ish for install and 600 for trifecta tune.
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #42
Jaime068
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgebunny View Post
My headers where 800. Then 300ish for install and 600 for trifecta tune.
You finally went with headers? Do you have any videos?....hmm the price seems about right