Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
Bama 2SS/RS

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Can you use non-RS headlight switch in RS car to durn DRL into push-button fogs?

Forgive me if this has been covered. I tried a search and didn't find an answer.

Has anyone with an RS car gotten a headlamp switch from a non-RS car (with the pushbutton for the fog lamps) and made their DRLs turn into push-button fog lamps? I wonder if there is anything else that would need to be done besides changing the switch?

I know a lot of modern car manufacturing is to simplify things and make as much as possible common between models, so I wonder if the wiring harnesses and such are identical, and only the switch is different. If that was the case, that would be so sweet. I'd really like to be able to turn my fog lights on and off as I see fit, by pressing the center button.

So, has anyone tried this, or does anyone have access to the wiring diagrams and such to see if it would work? Is there another solution that would allow me to turn the fog lights on and off whenever I want? I know I can take the switch to off and back to auto to turn them off, but I would like them to not be on automatically everytime I start the car, and I would like to also be able to turn them on at night, which I can't because the sensor disables them at night.

Hope someone can help.
Bama 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
You cant do it that way, looking at the wiring Schematics its not close.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
I just did my own car to run the halos as drl's and I will be making my drl's as fog lights, there is 2. Ways you can do this, first is by swapping wires (little more involved) or running a separate switch to turn on the fogs. But it's not all that hard, but it's all custom wiring
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Bama 2SS/RS

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
You cant do it that way, looking at the wiring Schematics its not close.
Damn, that sucks. I had hoped it would be a common harness, and just a different switch, that was wired differently internally. I guess not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro4mybday View Post
I just did my own car to run the halos as drl's and I will be making my drl's as fog lights, there is 2. Ways you can do this, first is by swapping wires (little more involved) or running a separate switch to turn on the fogs. But it's not all that hard, but it's all custom wiring
Yeah, I'm sure I could handle re-wiring it and adding a separate switch. I've done a bunch of re-wiring on different vehicles, and I'm comfortable doing that sort of thing. I just really don't want to add an extra switch. I was hoping to be able to use the non-RS headlamp switch to keep a clean, factory looking installation.

I love having the RS package, especially the halo headlamps. I just hate having DRLs instead of manually switched foglights. I just think it's stupid that they did the DRLs/foglights differently between RS and non-RS.

Oh well, I guess I'll just deal with it. It doesn't bother me enough to rig up a non-factory switch just for the DRLs/foglights. I was just hoping to be able to use the factory non-RS switch to control them as foglights.
Bama 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote