Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #15
cdn2usa

Drives: 2010 2SS
There has to be photos somewhere, the dealer must have taken them for his insurance or to make a claim against transportation.

I would go there right away to see it. You can't take their word for what or where the damage was. They could tell you it was all on the right side when it was on the left. They could be down-playing the damage that was done to keep you away.

What color?
And good luck.
Hurst Shifter,CAI,Vmax throttle body, Kooks LT Headers, High Flow Cats,Borla Touring Axle Back, ADM Scoop, Washwater relocation,Diablo Predator(c/w Ted's Magic), Custom start defeat switch, painted engine cover, shark fin & bow ties, ABL lighting, Rear Camera.
cdn2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #16
Betro02

Drives: Powerful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
If it were me, I'd order another one. If you're going to keep it for years, the time to get a different one will just be a blip in time compared to looking at repaired paint for years.

Plus, in these days of Carfax, that VIN's history will always show a paint repair = resale issues.
Not if the damage was done before delivery, you would be surprised how many cars get damaged during transport.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #17
Rip

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer paint looks better than the factory paint to be honest.

Maybe, but IOM is not an easy color to match. There is no way in hell I'd take delivery of it, I'd wait the 12 weeks and get another one. A 12 week wait is nothing to how long you'll own the car, and even if it looks to match perfectly now, you could have issues down the line with it becoming discolored over time.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #18
blizzpat
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyk1 View Post
You know at first I agreed when I first saw this thread but then I thought about the fact that I dont even buy a pair of shoes with the slightest mark on them so a 40k plus car should be handled the same. Could have been small and not a problem. I would like to have seen the damage before car was sent off and if it wasnt that bad would be okay with the repair assuming I was completely 100% happy with it. I doubt since it is new with no previous owner any damage would be on a car fax, I may be wrong. If its the type of thing that would bother you knowing about it even after the fix then better safe than sorry ask for a new one. Heck your money make sure you are happy
Understood but the car has shitty paint and its going to be pretty evident how bad of a paint job it has after 1,000 miles.

Again I don't know the extent of the damage, but saying it was there for one extra day means it was minimal.

You are going to have to ignore a lot of minimal damage to the paint of this car if you are going to live. If not you might as well sell it already.... telling him to return the car for a new one because of minimal damages is just crazy.... Trust me, anyone that has had this car as a DD and actually drives it will know what I am talking about. My car has about 10 little scratches from rocks and debris on the road.. but they are so minimal you can't see them unless you really look.
blizzpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #19
truckin-on

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 'vert IOM/IO
Dealer committed to emailing me pictures. Car is already at the body shop - went directly there yesterday AM after pictures were taken. They are being straight with me as far as I can tell and pride themselves on being a "full disclosure" dealer, whatever the heck that means these days. I'll post the pics when I get them. Thanks for the comments. Hopefully I'll get to see it today or tomorrow.
truckin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #20
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
Go look at the car and see the damage. Then decide what to do. I had a new f150 come in the other day, had a scratch in the driver's door. it was just in the clear though, buffed out in 15 minutes. No big deal.
Yep. When the dealer installed the stripes for the third time they managed to put three scratches in the clear coat. Told them to make it right. They buffed it out and you could never tell. We went on our merry way as I had more important things to worry about, like what was for dinner or if I would be able to get the yard mowed before it rained.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #21
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
I wouldn't assume every repair dopne to any given vehicle will show up on Carfax. In some states this information never gets reported anyway.

Look at the car, make sure it is repaired to your satisfaction. If not, then decline to accept delivery. It boils down to your judgement of the overall situation.

Minor paint damage happens a lot more than most imagine, for various reasons. Likewise some cars get damaged for a lot of reasons, and the buyer, doesn't always know about what transpired prior to acceptance.

as has been said above, this isn't a high end Exotic. It is a Camaro. Mas Produced at a certain price point.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #22
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
My Camaro was damaged on delivery too. My dealer showed me the damage before repairing and he was fully prepared to have me reject the delivery as we had just talked about how certain damage on delivery was harder to repair, and I had a scratched windshield and dinged door. Because I am not keeping this car to collect it I just had him replace the windshield and repaint the door. Looks like new. I didn't ask for any special warranty or free this or that. I probably could've. But I was just happy to have a Camaro. But go look at the damage, if it is a lot worse than they say, such as a major dent, then consider your options, but if it truly is minor, you'll have rock chips in no time anyway so it's not like the paint will stay perfect.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #23
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
The bodyshop is the place that will issue a paint/work warranty, not your dealer. I had some jackass scrape my bumper with a shopping cart and the bodyshop gave me a life of ownership warranty on the paint. Any issue at all during my ownership is covered 100%.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #24
truckin-on

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 'vert IOM/IO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
The bodyshop is the place that will issue a paint/work warranty, not your dealer. I had some jackass scrape my bumper with a shopping cart and the bodyshop gave me a life of ownership warranty on the paint. Any issue at all during my ownership is covered 100%.
Yep - that matches my experience. In this case however, the bodyshop IS the dealer, so it seems reasonable that they would warrant the paint repair similarly. I'd be OK with this. I'm a bit more concerned than I had been, having just seen a friends car last weekend where a collision repair a few years ago all of a sudden experienced total clear-coat failure.
truckin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #25
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckin-on View Post
Yep - that matches my experience. In this case however, the bodyshop IS the dealer, so it seems reasonable that they would warrant the paint repair similarly. I'd be OK with this. I'm a bit more concerned than I had been, having just seen a friends car last weekend where a collision repair a few years ago all of a sudden experienced total clear-coat failure.
The dealer's primary business is selling cars, not painting them. This fact alone scares me when it comes to body/paint work done at a dealer (I had a bad experience with this years ago with a white Gen3 Camaro). In your case, I would certainly ask them what sort of warranty is offered on the work. If they say none I personally would flip them deuces and walk away from the deal.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #26
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
I wouldn't assume every repair dopne to any given vehicle will show up on Carfax. In some states this information never gets reported anyway.

Look at the car, make sure it is repaired to your satisfaction. If not, then decline to accept delivery. It boils down to your judgement of the overall situation.

Minor paint damage happens a lot more than most imagine, for various reasons. Likewise some cars get damaged for a lot of reasons, and the buyer, doesn't always know about what transpired prior to acceptance.

as has been said above, this isn't a high end Exotic. It is a Camaro. Mas Produced at a certain price point.
It will be on Carfax. Transportation claims go through the warranty system for payment. The dealer uses their in-house system for RO billing, i.e. Reynolds & Reynolds..... Carfax gets all that stuff.

If you pay Billy Bob's Bump and Paint cash under the table, it might not make it to Carfax. A dealer doing a transportation claim, at a body shop, processed through the warranty systems.... Carfax will have it before the paint is dry.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #27
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
I hope your dealer is able to take care of you truckin-on. If you continue to have issues let me know.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #28
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
If it was me I would automatically say "I don't want it". Just start over again.

what you should be doing is find a car lot with 10 convertibles. Look them all over with a fine tooth comb and PICK the one that looks the best, where you find the least flaws.

if you order something, you don't have this option. don't worry they will sell your car easily probably with a 5K-10K markup.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote