Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-03-2023, 10:18 AM   #29
Z06ZLE

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwL_Wildcat View Post
When you say kids I'm assuming that's all makes and models combined? I can see kids smashing out ignition columns and stealing them, like the 2nd and 3rd gens. The kids must be pretty sophisticated to be able to steal these newer 6th gens and deal with all the security?
I hear ya. And likewise, it baffles the mind that minors would even begin to know how to rip out OnStar antennas and the like. In fact, I think that in the previously reference NYT article (earlier post of mine), it even stated that many teens learn how to break into cars, especially Hyundais and Kia’s - the two most stolen makes in America - primarily through Tik-Tok videos. It’s crazy.
2014 Mustang GT
2012 Yamaha R1
2011 Corvette Z06
2008 Corvette Z06
2007 Yamaha R6

Daily: 2015 BMW i3
Z06ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 11:31 AM   #30
Rogueleader_92

Drives: Chevy camaro, Chevy cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwL_Wildcat View Post
When you say kids I'm assuming that's all makes and models combined? I can see kids smashing out ignition columns and stealing them, like the 2nd and 3rd gens. The kids must be pretty sophisticated to be able to steal these newer 6th gens and deal with all the security?
Kids are smarter then you give them credit for and the security of our cars is much more vulnerable then you think.

The Kia joyrides are a good example. All it took was a charging cable and a tiktok video. There is also the relay attacks where its been proven for less then a grand you can buy what you need to steal cars. Hackers have also shown there is the ability to remote drive some cars with self driving capability (not just tesla's) because the wifi on the car hasn't been secured.

Never under estimate a board kid with an internet connection.

Blue 2023 Camaro, 3LT, RS.
Rogueleader_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 02:16 PM   #31
HemiDave

Drives: ZLE/DEMON/GLADIATOR/GSXR1000R/ZX10R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06ZLE View Post
RE: Car Theft vs. Car Jacking - It appears we're discussing two distinct subjects; I'm focusing on grand theft auto or car theft, which occurs when the victim is not immediately present. To that point, I had directly embedded/referenced a post involving a tow truck doing just that with a vehicle parked on the site of the street. Your emphasis on carjacking — defined legally as the forceful seizure of a vehicle while the owner is present — is a separate issue. Both fall under the umbrella of "vehicle theft" but have different legal distinctions, implications and contextual differences. It is possible to have a conversation about vehicle theft while simultaneously honing in on one particular method of it. Let's not conflate the two or use one as a straw man argument for the other.

HemiDave Responded: I cant read your mind. Is that what you expected when you said "...most are bored kids looking for a joy ride"?

This is not about two distinct subjects either, it's about stealing cars.
You originally said it was ..."entirely different"

Discussing the method used to steal a car is not conflating or strawman'ing this thread .
This all falls under stealing cars.

You keep injecting your strange reasoning here about "its 2 entirely different things"
Thats what you originally said "entirely different"....Remember?

RE: Kids - My assertion that a significant number of car thieves are underage isn't an anecdote; it's backed by empirical data. A New York Times article just last month reported Mayor Eric Adams saying that half of those arrested for car theft were minors. A 2019 study by the National Library of Medicine corroborates this, citing the peak age for car theft offenses at 15–19 years old. Full paper here.

HemiDave Responded: Lets be clear here, you said "...MOST are bored kids"
Now you fabricate that to "significant number"...

NYC data on this is not Nationwide data, and it's not even NYS data.

15-19 is not "bored kids", and an 18/19 year old is a legal adult.

The Pre Pandemic, Pre Joe Biden 2019 study you posted is almost certainly not representative of 2023 stats.

These are all poor attempts by you to make your statements valid.

RE: DOJ Bureau of Justice Statistics - Your apparent conflation of my separate citations is either a misunderstanding of basic academic methodology or a deliberate attempt to cobble together a disjointed argument. In either case, it's misleading. I cited "kids" in car thefts in one context and used DOJ statistics to discuss injuries/deaths from carjackings in another. These citations were distinctly framed to support separate points in separate posts. To intermingle them as if they were universally applicable compromises the rigor and integrity of your reasoning, and indeed this entire discussion.

HemiDave Responded: You must have an academic misunderstanding that you proved my point and not yours with your DOJ statistics.

You also seemingly don't understand that 18 and 19 year olds are not kids. but legal adults and categorized as such.

Your retorts, using Emotional Word Salads, are a cobble of misinformation, show lack of integrity, use fabrications and are devoid of valid reasoning to prove your proclamations.
**I have responded to your latest assortment of Morning Breath Hot-Air in RED above**

The issue here is your original statement "...most (car thieves) are bored kids looking for a joyride."
You have not provided any proof whatsoever to justify that claim.

Instead of using just my words, you have added your feelings and emotions to add false context to my words.
Thats you manipulating.

You sighted DOJ stats, and they proved what I said to be true.
Do you now think the DOJ stats you provided are "untethered to reality", a "scare tactic" and "sensationalism"?
If you were intellectually consistent you would...But then again, you provided them mistakenly thinking they were proving your point.

You have simply failed in validating your statements.

I think our back and forth has run its course.

Take care.

2018 Dodge Demon #1399
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6 speed manual
2023 ZL1 1LE 6 speed manual
2018 Suzuki GSXR 1000R
2021 Kawasaki ZX10R

Last edited by HemiDave; 10-04-2023 at 07:25 AM.
HemiDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 04:29 PM   #32
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
After my 2014 Accord was stolen back in 2016, I installed a kill switch on the immobilizer wire. My car had an alarm system that would have worked, if they hadn't stolen the key from the garage (that afternoon was the only time a spare key was accessible, and only for a few hours, they got lucky).

The hidden switch was an easy install (I installed the original alarm, and I even hid the alarm brain behind the gauge cluster so no aftermarket wiring was visible). The downside was that my remote start would no longer work, so I found myself using the immobilizer switch rarely.

I agree that a fuel pump bypass would be easy and effective. Likely the car would start then soon die, and not restart. That would likely generate enough noise and ruckus that the thief would abandon the effort. The challenge is actually using the bypass button every time you park your car, and foregoing remote start.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 04:44 PM   #33
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
After some more thought, I'm in the camp of not wanting my car found or back. Just give me another one, thanks.
Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 05:07 PM   #34
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjilslaire View Post
After some more thought, I'm in the camp of not wanting my car found or back. Just give me another one, thanks.
Unless your car was a cherished unmolested Camaro then I agree
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 05:20 PM   #35
Rogueleader_92

Drives: Chevy camaro, Chevy cruze
Quote:
Not going to be an option soon unless you want the camaro version of a Mach-E

Blue 2023 Camaro, 3LT, RS.
Rogueleader_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 05:56 PM   #36
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
Gonna be a used Camaro - so what's more of a risk?

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 09:09 PM   #37
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Quote:
An understandable sentiment, but one that comes with an expiration date after January 2024...
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 11:27 PM   #38
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
There was a time a classic BMW was my ride to work in a high theft part of town, and so I just pulled the fuel pump relay when I had to go to that office.

It might take a minute to pop the hood and open the box, but that'll do it too, as far as someone driving it off.
Old 10-04-2023, 12:38 AM   #39
Z06ZLE

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiDave View Post
The issue here is your original statement "...most (car thieves) are bored kids looking for a joyride."

You have not provided any proof whatsoever to justify that claim.

Instead of just my words, you have added your feelings and emotions to add false context to my words.
Thats you manipulating.

You sighted DOJ stats, and they proved what I said to be true.
Do you now think the DOJ stats you provided are "untethered to reality", a "scare tactic" and "sensationalism"?
If you were intellectually consistent you would...But then again, you provided them mistakenly thinking they were proving your point.

You have simply failed in validating your statements.

LOL. Like…what??

There is so much disjointed logic in everything you posted that it truly borders on comical. You’re right about one thing: we’ll end this here.

As an aside, it’s worth noting that in any legitimate debate, both sides need to present evidence to back their claims, rather than one party presuming they are the authority and, without support, declaring the other’s false simply by merit of “I said so.”

But hey. You’re not gonna let that stop you, right?

Have a good one.
2014 Mustang GT
2012 Yamaha R1
2011 Corvette Z06
2008 Corvette Z06
2007 Yamaha R6

Daily: 2015 BMW i3

Last edited by Z06ZLE; 10-04-2023 at 12:58 AM.
Z06ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 11:04 AM   #40
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Anytime my car/truck was parked out side for a duration of time or over night, I would pull the fuel pump relay and take it with me. Especially when I had my trailer hooked up to the truck, hotel parking lots etc... By the time it took them to figure it out, my hope would be they would just leave. I am sure this can be accomplished in a similar fashion via a switch on the fuel pump.
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 12:54 PM   #41
HemiDave

Drives: ZLE/DEMON/GLADIATOR/GSXR1000R/ZX10R
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa21 View Post
The steering wheel lock is definitely something I was thinking of getting. I’ve been told that Ravelco works for this car, it’s basically a fancier type of kill switch.
They drill out the lock to defeat this type of steering wheel lock easily.
Just an FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeatr View Post
Buy a manual transmission. Built to thwart any modern day thieves.
I know we always kid about this, but driving a manual was listed as a theft deterrent in US News and World Report...lol.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...theft?slide=13

2018 Dodge Demon #1399
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6 speed manual
2023 ZL1 1LE 6 speed manual
2018 Suzuki GSXR 1000R
2021 Kawasaki ZX10R
HemiDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 03:10 PM   #42
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Having a manual didn't prevent mine from being stolen.
havelegs is offline   Reply With Quote