Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-30-2023, 04:30 PM   #43
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I paid hard earned cash for mine, so I drove it like I stole it after about 100 miles
CalgaryZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 06:13 PM   #44
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palutz View Post
Automatics just kill the joy of the supercharged V8. It’s the same shit every day .. the drag strip will show great time slips though.
I don't see the advantage of a manual in terms of enjoying a high performance engine like the LT4.

The auto has 10 speeds instead of 6. With paddles, you are completely in control. A torque converter is more durable than a dry clutch. A torque converter is kinder to the other parts of your drive train, which is important when you are dealing with massive torque.

PS: Modern race cars and supercars are all paddle shift cars, although some have dual clutches, not torque converters. The dual clutches have durability issues, particularly in everyday street driving.

PPS: There's nothing better than a torque converter launch at the drag strip.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 06:28 PM   #45
JBones81

Drives: 22 ZL1, 18 RS3, 22 M3P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I don't see the advantage of a manual in terms of enjoying a high performance engine like the LT4.

The auto has 10 speeds instead of 6. With paddles, you are completely in control. A torque converter is more durable than a dry clutch. A torque converter is kinder to the other parts of your drive train, which is important when you are dealing with massive torque.

PS: Modern race cars and supercars are all paddle shift cars, although some have dual clutches, not torque converters. The dual clutches have durability issues, particularly in everyday street driving.

the only advantage now is the "fun factor." I think this will be the last manual transmission car I ever own. I realize the autos are faster, as are many EVs now, but there's still something great about shifting gears
Instagram - @JBsCars
JBones81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 08:11 PM   #46
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
It's great on a mountain road or roadcourse (and I drove a manual FD RX-7 for 18 years, so I know what I'm missing) - for street driving and M driver smackdown runs it's a liability
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 08:34 PM   #47
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBones81 View Post
the only advantage now is the "fun factor." I think this will be the last manual transmission car I ever own. I realize the autos are faster, as are many EVs now, but there's still something great about shifting gears
So, I grew up driving manuals and I love shifting gears!

My favorite cars have all been manuals. But also some of my least favorite cars have been manuals. Why is that? Because GM makes or specs shit clutches and because the last two GM manuals I owned suffered from rev hang, a subject you can find out about with google if you have never experienced it in person. Rev hang kills all the pleasure of driving a manual.

And so and so...shifting gears with paddles is now the best way to shift gears manually, while maintaining all the performance and reliability advantages of a robust torque converter.

Maybe this A10 ZL1 will rise to the top of my faves list, but it's a high bar. Time will tell. So far so good.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 09:08 PM   #48
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Paddle shifting in the A10 is consistently rated mid pack compared to DCT or newer ZF transmissions (and certainly compared to the PDK). Still much faster than a manual off the line of course, or even a roll race
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 09:09 PM   #49
Keko

Drives: 2023 ZLE M6
Quote:
So, I grew up driving manuals and I love shifting gears!

My favorite cars have all been manuals. But also some of my least favorite cars have been manuals. Why is that? Because GM makes or specs shit clutches and because the last two GM manuals I owned suffered from rev hang, a subject you can find out about with google if you have never experienced it in person. Rev hang kills all the pleasure of driving a manual.

And so and so...shifting gears with paddles is now the best way to shift gears manually, while maintaining all the performance and reliability advantages of a robust torque converter.

Maybe this A10 ZL1 will rise to the top of my faves list, but it's a high bar. Time will tell. So far so good.

The M6 ZL1 is the first car I've had that doesn't have rev hang. I'm very glad for that.
Old 06-30-2023, 09:10 PM   #50
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
TR6060 > *

I drive engaging, and there is not an automatic I have driven on a nice twisting road that I have had the engagement of my TR-6060.

Tapping my fingers is no more engaging than a smart phone.

If you are looking for pure speed - then EV. No converters, paddles, none of that crap - just mash and go! I blame the automatic guys for the death of the V8. - "but they are faster"

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 09:20 PM   #51
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
An EV? no?

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 10:25 PM   #52
NYTMARE23
NYTMARE23

Drives: Black 2023 Chevrolet ZL1 A10
Sooo...
The M6 guys will think the Manual is better..
The A10 guys will think the Automatic is better...
And that's OK!!!! WHO CARES who likes what transmission?! Is it really worth a pissing contest? Is it impossible for EVERYONE to just agree that no matter what transmission the Camaro has in it that it performs like a BEAST?! To each their own! Just enjoy YOUR car without feeling the need to put other transmission down..they're BOTH GREAT in their own ways!
Old 06-30-2023, 10:42 PM   #53
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
AUTO VS MANUAL. As a freshman in highschool (1980) I had this same debate with one of my classmates. Sure, it was Muncie 4-speed vs Turbo 400 but it still evolved into quite the argument. Nice to see the passion is still alive in our hobby.
Old 06-30-2023, 10:46 PM   #54
ShockingZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Life happens. Lots of things to do other than drive around. And no, "drive it like you stole it" is not good advice for breaking in a high performance drivetrain.
Thats exactly how you need to break in a high performance drivetrain. This isnt a minivan you are expecting to drive until the wheels fall off at 200k miles. You need to break it in hard then you dont need to run a catch can like all the other morons that took it easy and now get all sorts of oil consumption.
ShockingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 08:54 AM   #55
MisterMarauder

Drives: 2023 Radiant Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Paddle shifting in the A10 is consistently rated mid pack compared to DCT or newer ZF transmissions (and certainly compared to the PDK). Still much faster than a manual off the line of course, or even a roll race
The 10L90 is largely considered superior to the ZF-8 speed transmissions. I've had both and I agree with that sentiment.

Current
2023 Radiant Red ZL1
1992 Z28

Previous
2018 2SS Redline Edition
1992 RS
MisterMarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 09:16 AM   #56
Chippy
BanHamWatch

Drives: 21 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMarauder View Post
The 10L90 is largely considered superior to the ZF-8 speed transmissions. I've had both and I agree with that sentiment.
I have had cars with each and I would agree with this.