#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-17-2023, 08:00 AM   #1
dfxrte

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6
Upper pulley VS lower pulley VS doing both

hi all,

wondering if there is any benefit or just preference to swap one over the other.

I have my upper pulley and belt swapped out and planning to do the lower, but it seems so many ppl either choose to do lower or upper and not always both (unless heavily modified).

Is it too risky to do both or something?

For context, I am very mildly modified with just headers, intake, upper pulley & belt, and custom 94 tune. Planning to do lower pulley and possibly a meth tank in the trunk, single nozzle.

I do not have regular access to E so not an option
dfxrte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:29 AM   #2
Katech_Mike

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Consult your tuner.

Depending on what size lower you add you will begin to run into the limits of the fuel system.
Katech_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:31 AM   #3
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Most don't do both because of heat increase with stock blower. You would be better off porting the supercharger. Once you do cam, fuel system, cooling mods, race port, meth or E, then you do lower for more boost. Basically you need more octane and efficiency vs boost at this point with your build.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:52 AM   #4
dfxrte

got it thanks. makes sense.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:53 AM   #5
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfxrte View Post
hi all,

wondering if there is any benefit or just preference to swap one over the other.

I have my upper pulley and belt swapped out and planning to do the lower, but it seems so many ppl either choose to do lower or upper and not always both (unless heavily modified).

Is it too risky to do both or something?

For context, I am very mildly modified with just headers, intake, upper pulley & belt, and custom 94 tune. Planning to do lower pulley and possibly a meth tank in the trunk, single nozzle.

I do not have regular access to E so not an option
FWIW - Hennessey did a 10% lower on my 1.7L 850 pkg. on pump gas, and they left the TB and SC untouched. They don't change the upper on any 1.7L pkg.

Last edited by JSH; 03-20-2023 at 08:48 AM.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:49 AM   #6
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
There is more belt contact area on the lower, therefore doing the lower does not increase the opportunity for belt slip like it would on the upper. I've done both but I'm not running the stock blower.

Recommendation on stock blower is to do the lower. The stock blower has limited headroom to grow and you'd be wasting money on upper pulley or porting if you continue to be serious with modifying the car, eventually you'll need a better blower. If you replace the stock blower you can still keep the upgraded lower pulley.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:53 AM   #7
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
9.45" lower with a Kong ported blower is about as far as you can go on stock fueling and it's recommended to upgrade the heat exchangers and add an aux overflow tank for more cooling volume.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:54 AM   #8
dfxrte

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqTenExp View Post
There is more belt contact area on the lower, therefore doing the lower does not increase the opportunity for belt slip like it would on the upper. I've done both but I'm not running the stock blower.

Recommendation on stock blower is to do the lower. The stock blower has limited headroom to grow and you'd be wasting money on upper pulley or porting if you continue to be serious with modifying the car, eventually you'll need a better blower. If you replace the stock blower you can still keep the upgraded lower pulley.

having done the upper, catless headers and rotofab i made 656 wheel and 692 torque on a custom 94 tune, I'd have to check the boost we were running again but it was very moderate.

manual btw, been very reliable since doing it about a year ago
Old 03-20-2023, 09:48 AM   #9
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Agreed, when one person decides to attack someone's character instead of providing any useful info, this is what happens. At least I provided useful info before he showed up.
Agreed. And to the OP, I would stick with the lower and port the stock blower for maximum bang for the buck at this point. Very happy with the lower that Vengeance recommended and installed. No heat issues and the combo with LTs and a tune is felt all the way to the redline and has been super reliable.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:58 AM   #10
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
Agreed. And to the OP, I would stick with the lower and port the stock blower for maximum bang for the buck at this point. Very happy with the lower that Vengeance recommended and installed. No heat issues and the combo with LTs and a tune is felt all the way to the redline and has been super reliable.
Same here with my Vengeance build.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote