Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-25-2023, 02:03 PM   #1
chavomilkstain

Drives: 2022 Black ZL1 M6
Lowering cradle for cam swap

Morning, gents. I'm currently at the point of putting the engine back in the car post head/cam work. I've loosened the six bolts holding the cradle up, but it hasn't budged at all. When I pulled the engine out, it came down no problem (had to put the bolts back up to move the car, I've been paying hefty shop fees to do this). Maybe I'm missing something here, but figured I'd ask the experts and see if there is something I did differently. Appreciate the input!
chavomilkstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 03:33 PM   #2
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavomilkstain View Post
Morning, gents. I'm currently at the point of putting the engine back in the car post head/cam work. I've loosened the six bolts holding the cradle up, but it hasn't budged at all. When I pulled the engine out, it came down no problem (had to put the bolts back up to move the car, I've been paying hefty shop fees to do this). Maybe I'm missing something here, but figured I'd ask the experts and see if there is something I did differently. Appreciate the input!
I'm fresh off of proving that my memory isn't great in another thread, but are you sure there aren't eight cradle attach bolts? As often as I've had my motor out, there's no excuse for me not to know this. Sure seems like there are eight.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 03:38 PM   #3
chavomilkstain

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
I'm fresh off of proving that my memory isn't great in another thread, but are you sure there aren't eight cradle attach bolts? As often as I've had my motor out, there's no excuse for me not to know this. Sure seems like there are eight.
Did you have the bumper off, as well? I've loosened all eight and still no movement.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:21 PM   #4
L78toLT1

Quote:
Did you have the bumper off, as well? I've loosened all eight and still no movement.
No, you don't have to remove the bumper.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
Old 02-25-2023, 05:21 PM   #5
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
The new Whipple install manual says there are 10 bolts and 2 nuts to loosen…?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MY16 Camaro_SubframeSPC_3 (1).pdf (693.2 KB, 146 views)
Old 02-25-2023, 05:23 PM   #6
L78toLT1

Quote:
How are you supporting the body? Obviously, the cradle won't drop with any weight on the front tires
Old 02-25-2023, 05:28 PM   #7
L78toLT1

Quote:
How are you supporting the body? You can't have any weight on the front tires / suspension
Old 02-25-2023, 06:01 PM   #8
L78toLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
The new Whipple install manual says there are 10 bolts and 2 nuts to loosen…?
10 bolts huh? That would explain why the op is having problems. If I wasn't lazy and it wasn't raining, I'd go out to the shop, put my car on the lift and take a look. If push comes to shove and the op is still having trouble after reviewing the Whipple instructions, I'll do it anyway - my phone won't open he attachment for some reason
Old 02-26-2023, 01:26 AM   #9
chavomilkstain

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
How are you supporting the body? You can't have any weight on the front tires / suspension
It's on a lift currently. I solved my problem, just following up. Yes, there are eight bolts in total, but you only have to loosen six of them. Most aft, and the two immediately forward of those aft bolts. I had some binding issues somehow with the aft bolts, but once I removed them, it came right down. Appreciate the input!
Old 02-26-2023, 07:00 AM   #10
L78toLT1

Quote:
It's on a lift currently. I solved my problem, just following up. Yes, there are eight bolts in total, but you only have to loosen six of them. Most aft, and the two immediately forward of those aft bolts. I had some binding issues somehow with the aft bolts, but once I removed them, it came right down. Appreciate the input!
Glad that you worked out the cradle issue. You should be able to wrap things up fairly quickly now. Good luck!
Old 02-27-2023, 03:17 AM   #11
chavomilkstain

Out of curiosity, when you all cammed your cars, how much exhaust smoke did you have? I fired it up for the first time today (just to make sure it started, didn't put the base cam tune in yet. Had issues with my MPVI2 device), and it smoked a little bit. I shut the car off, started it back up with the shop door open this time to ventilate, and it was a full on fog machine back there. Granted, I live in Alaska and it's currently -3° outside, so I'm sure that had something to do with it, but I still felt it was a bit excessive. Don't remember it smelling sweet or anything, but naturally I'm a little nervous.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:14 PM   #12
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Out of curiosity, when you all cammed your cars, how much exhaust smoke did you have? I fired it up for the first time today (just to make sure it started, didn't put the base cam tune in yet. Had issues with my MPVI2 device), and it smoked a little bit. I shut the car off, started it back up with the shop door open this time to ventilate, and it was a full on fog machine back there. Granted, I live in Alaska and it's currently -3° outside, so I'm sure that had something to do with it, but I still felt it was a bit excessive. Don't remember it smelling sweet or anything, but naturally I'm a little nervous.
Some smoke on the first start is normal. Oils from your hands, assembly lube, etc. needs to burn off. I'd guess it's a mix of that and the condensation in the exhaust from cold weather. Should clear up as the car gets to operating temp. How long did you let her run?
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 04:38 AM   #13
chavomilkstain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
Some smoke on the first start is normal. Oils from your hands, assembly lube, etc. needs to burn off. I'd guess it's a mix of that and the condensation in the exhaust from cold weather. Should clear up as the car gets to operating temp. How long did you let her run?
Not long, maybe 1:30? Not enough for a full thermal cycle. I have a video, a bit lengthy, but I can maybe send it to you for your input?