Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-19-2022, 11:24 AM   #15

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Good luck to Hendrick's...Just to add to some of the previous posts, it's not to be confused with any kind of Camaro next gen as in a 7th Gen...It's Nascar's NextGen debuting this year....LeMans and Hendricks car will be a modified Nascar NextGen...(and it looks like some kind of hybrid, whatever that would be...)

Anyhoo this is from one of the articles linked above...

"The Next Gen series of NASCAR vehicles debuted for the 2022 season and feature larger center-lock 18-inch wheels, a lower roofline, a rear-mounted transaxle, and enhanced aerodynamics. For the Le Mans effort, a hybrid system will need to be added and the chassis will need to be strengthened to meet crash regulations.

Garage56 is a program designed to allow racing teams to bring a vehicle from outside the traditional WEC regulations for the purpose of testing new technology and innovations. The 24 hours of Le Mans organizer ACO has offered Garage56 since 2012 and has previously entered vehicles such as the Nissan DeltaWing. The special class is separate from the rest of the grid and doesn’t remove a traditional entry."
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 05:34 PM   #16
Raisin Man

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Will have as much to do with a 1LE as a current NG NASCAR car which is in name only.

However, it is clearly stated that it's a "specially modified" NG Car, not simply a NASCAR car going to LeMans. Likely to address the 24 hour durability as most races in NASCAR are 4 or 5 hours tops.

Interesting.
What’s the point of this effort?

We know NASCAR’s popularity is waning, but these LeMans Camaros won’t bear much resemblance to what’s sold to the public. Is this just an attempt to promote NASCAR and series drivers on a larger motorsports stage, like we’ve seen with Jimmy Johnson (and others) with IMSA? So far, I’m underwhelmed with the ability of NASCAR drivers to find success in sports cars.

Maybe just an attempt to showcase new technology? Why does GM need to go to France to do that?

Thoughts appreciated.
Raisin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:30 AM   #17
Sindri

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
It's only GM in as much as they back Hendrick's motorsports. I suspect this is less about trying to showcase any new tech, and more about branching out and testing the waters to expand NASCAR into the European market.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:16 PM   #18
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisin Man View Post
What’s the point of this effort?

We know NASCAR’s popularity is waning, but these LeMans Camaros won’t bear much resemblance to what’s sold to the public. Is this just an attempt to promote NASCAR and series drivers on a larger motorsports stage, like we’ve seen with Jimmy Johnson (and others) with IMSA? So far, I’m underwhelmed with the ability of NASCAR drivers to find success in sports cars.

Maybe just an attempt to showcase new technology? Why does GM need to go to France to do that?

Thoughts appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
It's only GM in as much as they back Hendrick's motorsports. I suspect this is less about trying to showcase any new tech, and more about branching out and testing the waters to expand NASCAR into the European market.
This

GM may help but it appears to be Hendricks on his own. Doesn’t even sound like NASCAR is directly involved.

I’m sure there is more to come based on sponsorship and others involved.

I think it’s cool, but it isn’t any more a Camaro than we watch every weekend on the big ovals.