Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-11-2022, 07:11 PM   #15
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 View Post
what did they do to open the exhaust? You lost 12 hp after they opened it. Sounds like you're in need of some injectors and a proper tune.
They removed the cats and tuned it accordingly. They didn't want to leave me too much room to mess it up in case I wanted to drive it. They really stressed to me to be kind to it until I got supporting mods.

They highly recommend I get injectors, dual booster pump, CAI, plugs/wires, and headers... followed by some other things and a new tune. These guys are pretty good at what they do, so I trust them.

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 07:13 PM   #16
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
2.45 is 23% OD and almost 21k.

Yeah. Supporting mods are necessary, and a good tune, or bad things can happen.
Which is why I immediately took it to a shop to have it data logged and inspected.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:16 PM   #17
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
You are definitely running a dangerous combination on pump fuel and stock injectors.

Injectors should never exceed 80% duty cycle and a 10% pulley will put it right there. your 23% pulley is pushing the injectors and fuel pressure is dropping hard.

In order to run 18% which is max I recommend on a stock cam you need the following.

Rotofab
18% pulley
Long Tube headers with high flow cats
ID1050x injectors
JMS fuel system voltage booster
Crank Case Breather kit
Catch can
Colder plugs TR7IX
MSD wires
And a very good tune

You will need to be on 91-93 octane to run this combo at full potential.

This is our JRE 125 RWHP package.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss.

Ted.
Thank you Ted for the recommendations! The shop I took it to also recommended the same things. I'm happy to hear y'all are in line with recommended mods.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:18 PM   #18
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Which is why I immediately took it to a shop to have it data logged and inspected.
I wouldn't even drive it until I had injectors and a pump installed...but go ahead.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:54 PM   #19
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Quote:
I wouldn't even drive it until I had injectors and a pump installed...but go ahead.
Well that's not happening now because everything is going back to stock. Currently, it's too loud for the wife and she just really likes the way a bone stock ZL1 sounds... which I totally respect her wishes.

Maybe you chose not to drive a car like this because you lack restraint from gunning it? My wife likes the way it looks and sounds on start-up, but she has no desire to go fast, so I'm not one bit worried she will hurt this motor as it is currently setup... but like I said, its going back to stock form.

Old 03-12-2022, 01:03 PM   #20
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
They removed the cats and tuned it accordingly. They didn't want to leave me too much room to mess it up in case I wanted to drive it. They really stressed to me to be kind to it until I got supporting mods.

They highly recommend I get injectors, dual booster pump, CAI, plugs/wires, and headers... followed by some other things and a new tune. These guys are pretty good at what they do, so I trust them.
IMHO;
A stock ZL1 is a great car. I have a 10% lower overdrive pulley and a good drop in air filter. My thought was not to buy a ZL1 vert to race but to enjoy the open air at a good clip if desired.
I’m hoping my wife will want to ride in the vert because she surely won’t go in the Z28.

Good luck in whatever direction you go
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 01:24 PM   #21
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Well that's not happening now because everything is going back to stock. Currently, it's too loud for the wife and she just really likes the way a bone stock ZL1 sounds... which I totally respect her wishes.

Maybe you chose not to drive a car like this because you lack restraint from gunning it? My wife likes the way it looks and sounds on start-up, but she has no desire to go fast, so I'm not one bit worried she will hurt this motor as it is currently setup... but like I said, its going back to stock form.
Well, that's understandable. You drop the cats and the db's go way up.

But I was never talking about sound...or a wife. We were talking about 23% over and 100% duty with no other mods. That's a fast track way of tearing up your engine. I'm just surprised (astounded, actually) your mechanic told you to "go easy on it." What he should have told you is don't drive it until you put the oem, or, at least a larger pully on it to drop the od way down...to keep it safe.

I don't know why you're writing "Maybe you chose not to drive a car like this..." I've been catless for years. And "I lack restraint..." You have no idea. I simply wrote 23% od and 100% duty cycle, is, well, unadvisable...no matter how much restraint you may have.

I agree with SIM: the Z is a great car stock. Plenty fast...for some. The LSA is a great platform to safely add 1, 2 even 300 hp, if done properly.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 06:40 PM   #22
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Quote:
I don't know why you're writing "Maybe you chose not to drive a car like this..." I've been catless for years. And "I lack restraint..." You have no idea. I simply wrote 23% od and 100% duty cycle, is, well, unadvisable...no matter how much restraint you may have.
I replied to your short reply:

Quote:
Which was posted after I said that I am bringing it back to stock and so on.

Old 03-12-2022, 06:41 PM   #23
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
IMHO;
A stock ZL1 is a great car. I have a 10% lower overdrive pulley and a good drop in air filter. My thought was not to buy a ZL1 vert to race but to enjoy the open air at a good clip if desired.
I’m hoping my wife will want to ride in the vert because she surely won’t go in the Z28.

Good luck in whatever direction you go
I absolutely loved my old hot red vert! Great car and super fun in the summer!

Old 03-12-2022, 06:44 PM   #24
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Here's the car we are bringing back to stock.
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2022, 07:42 PM   #25
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Does anyone know what part number this piece is? I cannot find this on any diagrams and I am falling short of descriptions to give to the parts counter guys at the local Chevrolet dealership.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2022, 02:46 AM   #26
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Does anyone know what part number this piece is? I cannot find this on any diagrams and I am falling short of descriptions to give to the parts counter guys at the local Chevrolet dealership.
IIRC, look on the back. The part number is molded into the part.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:19 AM   #27
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I believe this is the part you're looking for.
https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/g...-22757643.html
Attached Images

Last edited by HDRDTD; 03-24-2022 at 03:30 AM.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:03 AM   #28
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Go with Jannetty. You won’t regret it.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote