Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-24-2021, 03:31 PM   #1
rednecks70

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, '70 Chevelle 454
Need a Sample Tune for HP Tuners

Just added headers and going to do a 10% pulley in the next week or two. Called a local tuner and apparently they will not take care of the CEL. Looks like I will have to take care of it myself. Downloaded HP tuners but I do not have access to the repository until I purchase a device. Can someone send me a sample tune so I can figure out how to omit the CEL? My email address is jsand1970ss@gmail.com. Much appreciated!!
rednecks70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
It doesn't work like that. You need to have a obdII connecting device. You must use a purchased credit or two also which is $50 and tied to the VIN of you Camaro to write or "flash" the change to the pcm. You would need to edit a line or two. That part isn't a big deal. I highly recommend if you buy and start to do things, first SAVE the orignal file in case something gets messed up or you need to put it back to stock. They have said my state's smog will look for a non-stock tune and I haven't yet had to check as I'm not due to smog for a couple years to see if it fails.
To recap, you have to buy or borrow equip, and buy a license/credits to use that equipment for a VIN on your car. Then write the tune adjustments. Some shops that tune diesels that have youtube channels have been slapped with $100,000+ fines recently for tunes or emissions removal activities. Yes I think that is far excessive but calling a shop asking if they will mess with emissions equipment they'd have to be stupid to tell some epa agent on the phone oh yeah we mess with mandatory equipment all the time come on down and fine the sht out of us.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:43 PM   #3
rednecks70

Yes I'm well aware I need the credits and the obd2 interface to make the actual changes. I just want to get into the software and familiarize myself with the options. As I stated I can't get sample tunes from the repository until I purchase equipment which I will do after getting the pulley installed.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:11 AM   #4
rednecks70

Never mind, HP tuners gives you a bunch of sample tunes to play with. I must say, it is nice of them to let you download the software for free and give you samples. This will make life much easier when it comes time to make changes on my car.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Another thing to note, if you want it to pass emissions. You needed to disable the codes prior to the mods, or prior to the codes settings. If you catch them as pending, and then disable them you're fine. But once they post as permanent, you can never pass emissions because the test will never complete. Your readiness test will always show as incomplete. If you're not worried about emissions testing then you can disable the code and turn off the light and not worry about it. Just know that it will never compete the readiness test for your exhaust stuff.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:15 PM   #6
rednecks70

DAMMIT! I was not aware of this. Too late to turn back now, its already thrown the codes. I have until May of 2022 to figure out what I'm going to do. To the best of my knowledge in PA if your under 5,000 miles the vehicle is emissions exempt anyway and I put less than 2,000 miles a year on this car anyway. I will have to check with my mechanic and see what he says about the ready monitor if I'm exempt. Worse case scenario is before next years inspection I reinstall the exhaust manifold and load the original tune to get it to pass, then put it all back after it shows the test complete.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:19 PM   #7
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Yep, you'll have to reinstall all the original stuff, wait for it to pass THEN disable the fault codes and set them to no error reported. Jot all the fault down before hand, so you know what ones to disable once it passes.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:33 PM   #8
rednecks70

Okay, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.