Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-22-2021, 09:10 AM   #1
Z ya later

Drives: Z/28
tire pressure for track usage

What has been a good starting tire pressure for track usage. My car is stock and I am on my 3rd set of Trofeo's. What has been your experience with tire and tire pressures?
Z ya later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:15 AM   #2
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
Autocross or road course? I usually start with about 28-30 on autocross. Road course my first run I start low, about 26 because my 3R will heat up a lot. Then about 30-32 I run. They seem to be ok. No expert though
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:17 AM   #3
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Here's a technique I read about in the 1LE section. Get a good tire crayon and make a heavy, long mark near your tires transition point triangle. After a good track session check the crayon mark. Ultimately you want the mark to be worn to the top of the triangle. Adjust pressures accordingly. Your going to be concerned with hot pressures more so than cold. A good starting point would be 30 or 31 psi COLD since its easier to let air out as opposed to adding while at the track. You can play with the crayon trick on the street so you get the technique down prior to your track day. Pictures are from my Z06 road course track session. 35 psi HOT.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2021, 05:02 PM   #4
AustexaSS
Build Date - Dec 08, 2014

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #1007, Black A/C Stereo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z ya later View Post
What has been a good starting tire pressure for track usage. My car is stock and I am on my 3rd set of Trofeo's. What has been your experience with tire and tire pressures?
For Trofeos and Goodyear 3R on cooler weather days I start at 28psi which is what is recommended in the track prep doc. On hot summer days I will start at 26psi with the objective of finishing a 25 minute HPDE session with 32 to 33 psi. With both 26 and 28 psi there is a least one out lap (3 miles not driving hard into and out of corners) before really pushing the car. When you start at 26 psi you will receive a low tire pressure warning on the DIC if you have TPMS. When I run slicks I start at 23psi with 2 really easy out laps (6 miles) building to 28psi then send it. You will have some trail and error here based on how aggressive you drive the car, the number and type of corners, track temps and exterior temps. There is a wear indicator ring on the outside face of the trofeo toward the upper sidewall, if this is worn down you need to increase starting pressure or build more pressure before driving hard into and out of corners.
AustexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:22 PM   #5
Z ya later

Drives: Z/28
It's a 2.5 mile long road course. Thanks for the helpful tips. I was starting at 30psi before heading out on the course for the first laps of the day. I will try to drop 3-4 psi after I mark the tire as suggested. I will also take note of the tire pressures at the end of the session.

What are your favorite track tires for this car? I'm not concerned with tire life or street manners for the next set of tires. I just want traction and faster times if possible.

This car is far more capable than I am, but I want to see if I can squeeze a bit more out of my lap times.

Thanks for all the helpful replies!
Z ya later is offline   Reply With Quote