Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-10-2020, 03:41 PM   #1
Rich292

Drives: 2015 Z/28
Lifting questions

Hey everyone,

I've been searching the forum for a few answers, but I haven't found exactly the information I was looking for as of yet. If these questions have been answered, please direct me to the correct posts.

I would like to get my Z/28 up in the air to do a brake fluid flush in the next few days. I am having trouble figuring out exactly how I can get the car up and off its wheels to do the flush.

1. I have a QuickJack that I've used on other cars, but it seems like the factory lift positions aren't in a line on this car (the rear torque box is very close to the pinch welds while the front lifting pad is set in several inches). I have seen several cars lifted on QuickJacks, but I wasn't able to tell from the photos exactly how they are contacting the bottom of the car. Is there a set of jacking points that are in line?

2. I have read that a QuickJack can be set sideways under the car (so one lifts the front, the other lifts the rear). However, that works for cars that are balanced front to rear in weight. Is the Z/28 balanced enough for this type of lifting? Has anyone tried it?

3. I have a set of ZL1 Addons magnetic jack pads. I tested these on another car with pinch welds to see how they worked before lifting my Camaro with them. It seems like the magnetic pads have too much space so they can rock side to side on the pinch weld. When I was lifting the other car with a floor jack, the angle allowed the lift pad to get misaligned and shoot out from under the car, and dropped the car on the floor jack. Are these magnetic lift pads safer to use with a QuickJack? Is there some trick to making them work better?

4. Would I be better off getting a set of the bolt on pinch weld protectors? I have seen them from ZL1 Addons, and also from a company called Dewhel. Does anyone have any experience with these to know if they are good? I know people are generally happy with the ZL1 Addons parts, but I was disappointed with the magnetic set I purchased.

5. Is there anything else that I'm missing here? I've had many cars over the years and I haven't had this much difficulty in figuring out how to get the car safely in the air for a service.

Thank you in advance!

Mike
Rich292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:06 PM   #2
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
I have the bolt on lift pads from zl1addons installed right now, and have a set of dewhal lift pads as well. I had installed the grey dewhals because the red zl1addons were out of stock, and at 40 bucks, hey why not...once the red zl1addons came into stock, I picked those up to install. I will tell you that they are the EXACT same, however, the dewhals have slightly shorter screws (just enough to matter on the pinch weld in fact)...they work, and they do hold just fine, but I did manage to put one through when tightening to the pinch weld (became a righty loosey scenario at that point). That being said, I haven't actually put them to use on the Z/28 yet. I had the same ones on my '17 ZL1 though (well, the 6th gen version) and they worked great.
Personally I like having the bolt on ones because I can worry that much less when jacking the car up.
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #3
HoodCheck

Jack points (not my pics or post, just screenshots I grabbed awhile back for a quick reference)...
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2020, 06:56 PM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I have and use the magnetic pinch weld pads from ZL 1 Addons and they work great. There is a small amount of side to side play but that may be by design to allow for some tilt while the car is being raised. Just make sure you've got a good FLAT rubber puck on your jack (I haven't used the quick jack) to make full contact with the pinch weld pad. Be extra careful removing these Z/28 wheels, they scratch easy. Be EXTRA careful with the carbon ceramic rotors. Any chips, cracks or fluid contamination and you'll probably be buying a rotor ($$$!).For wheel install I purchased the guide tool from ZL 1. Makes installing wheels very easy.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2020, 07:50 PM   #5
AustexaSS
Build Date - Dec 08, 2014

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #1007, Black A/C Stereo
The pitch welds are in a straight line as it is the same contiguous weld. I use the ZL1 AddOns premium pinch weld / mag pads with the hockey puck looking holder and a floor jack without any problems.

https://zl1addons.com/collections/ja...ch-weld-magpad
AustexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #6
pzero

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #968 Silver Ice M
Lift Points

I think the first pic is mine....I had the same questions at first.
The second pic is not mine, just a sample of a member jacked up Z.
I wouldn't leave it like that. Put a American made jack stand just in case Chinese floor jack fails.
Also did some articles about harbor freight jack stands see my old post.

Green Box is lift points. Use lift pads or you will crush the weld points.
Green arrow is the jack points. Note: (Do not put jack under the front green arrow, that's a mistake, it will crush the front plate)***
Red area (Do not put jacks in this area it will crush your under body).

Good luck mate. I usually lift side to side so it won't roll. You can lift front to back, but make sure you use a wheel block so it won't roll on you.
Attached Images

2016 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L

Past Cars:
1976 Chevy Malibu Classic 5.7L
1985 Chevy 2DR 4x4 Blazer 5.7L
1989 Chevy IROC-Z 5.7L
1995 Chevy 2DR 4x4 Tahoe 5.7L
2005 Chevy 4DR Tahoe 5.3L
pzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #7
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzero View Post
I think the first pic is mine....I had the same questions at first.
The second pic is not mine, just a sample of a member jacked up Z.
I wouldn't leave it like that. Put a American made jack stand just in case Chinese floor jack fails.
Also did some articles about harbor freight jack stands see my old post.

Green Box is lift points. Use lift pads or you will crush the weld points.
Green arrow is the jack points. Note: (Do not put jack under the front green arrow, that's a mistake, it will crush the front plate)***
Red area (Do not put jacks in this area it will crush your under body).

Good luck mate. I usually lift side to side so it won't roll. You can lift front to back, but make sure you use a wheel block so it won't roll on you.
It may very well have been your thread I took that screenshot from, along with another I think I found it initially doing a search for jack points.

That being said, I am really thinking of going with the pit stop race ramps. They cost a pretty penny, but should support my suburban too, so I can justify the cost better in my head rofl.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #8
chip4

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Silver #713
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzero View Post
I think the first pic is mine....
I posted that picture in a thread I started 4.5yrs ago, it’s a screen capture I took from Motortrend’s article:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...28-first-test/
Seems like its no longer there, anyway I cropped that pic and added the green arrows as I was trying to confirm from our forum members the correct lifting points for our car.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456378
I believe that is the same static display in the Car and Driver “Z/28 Underbelly” youtube video with Mark Stielow:
https://youtu.be/Jx_3BWNOrDE

Now Ill be sued for copyright
Attached Images

chip4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:52 AM   #9
pzero

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #968 Silver Ice M
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip4 View Post
I posted that picture in a thread I started 4.5yrs ago, it’s a screen capture I took from Motortrend’s article:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...28-first-test/
Seems like its no longer there, anyway I cropped that pic and added the green arrows as I was trying to confirm from our forum members the correct lifting points for our car.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456378
I believe that is the same static display in the Car and Driver “Z/28 Underbelly” youtube video with Mark Stielow:
https://youtu.be/Jx_3BWNOrDE

Now Ill be sued for copyright
Right...chip4, that's your picture. As soon as you said sue, I'm out. LOL
2016 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L

Past Cars:
1976 Chevy Malibu Classic 5.7L
1985 Chevy 2DR 4x4 Blazer 5.7L
1989 Chevy IROC-Z 5.7L
1995 Chevy 2DR 4x4 Tahoe 5.7L
2005 Chevy 4DR Tahoe 5.3L
pzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:11 PM   #10
chip4

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Silver #713
I think I’m ok. Even though I posted it, I never claimed it was mine, nor did I make money from it.
Besides, it clearly came with “Social media share links”.
chip4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift, quickjack