Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS RS 1LE
Recommendations Please

Hey,

I'm at 78,000 miles on my 2013 1LE and it's time to change out the struts and stuff.

I'm looking for recommendations for replacement parts.

I do not go to the track as much as I would like. I'm the original owner and its only been on the track 3 or 4 times.

I've already purchased the polyurethane carrier bushing kit and intend on buying the same for the rear subframe bushings.

Given my other thread about the strange tire wear I've been dealing with I want to make sure I deal with everything I can in one shot.

Are there any struts out there that are better than the OEM stuff that won't break the bank? I'm not looking to turn this into a car that rides like a rock. A little more stiff than it is, is okay. I live in Austin, TX and the roads around me are in great shape. I drive "enthusiastically" and will probably keep the OEM tires on it if I don't swap to either the Pilot SS or Firehawks next time.

Are there bushing kits to replace the rubber bushings in the control arms?

I'd like to hear your suggestions.

Thanks,

Karl
Old 11-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
I really liked the ride quality of Koni shocks the few times I've used them. They were close to stock feel, felt more controlled but maybe a tad stiffer than stock. They also work quite well with lowering springs. There are a few brands that can give you what you are looking for. Koni has my vote.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
I really liked the ride quality of Koni shocks the few times I've used them. They were close to stock feel, felt more controlled but maybe a tad stiffer than stock. They also work quite well with lowering springs. There are a few brands that can give you what you are looking for. Koni has my vote.
Nice. Do you have any specific info/ part numbers?
Old 11-10-2019, 03:23 PM   #4
G8One2

https://rdpstore.com/p-11664-koni-sp...1-1563l-r.aspx
Old 11-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #5
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
WOW! Thanks for that link. Those are actually cheaper than the OEM parts from RockAuto.com. I didn't know that was possible! LOL I very rarely find anyone cheaper than the rock.

I will be looking into those much closer. I've got about two or three weeks before I can pull the trigger on this.

Any other recommendations? I like to know my options.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:57 PM   #6
G8One2

Pedders is also a good option and GM certified. https://pedders.com/collections/all/...Camaro-SS-2014
Old 11-10-2019, 06:40 PM   #7
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
I have brand new Pedders rear subframe bushings for sale. PM me if interested.
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:53 PM   #8
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I’ve tracked my car several times and while the 1LE shocks and struts are good I’d recommend the Bilstiens they have them on RA also their the shock of choice. I wouldn’t do poly in the subframe go aluminum or delren it won’t cause any NVH. And find a set of front control arm bushings as well will help with return to center. Also get the 1LE rear shock mounts.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:11 AM   #9
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
I’ve tracked my car several times and while the 1LE shocks and struts are good I’d recommend the Bilstiens they have them on RA also their the shock of choice. I wouldn’t do poly in the subframe go aluminum or delren it won’t cause any NVH. And find a set of front control arm bushings as well will help with return to center. Also get the 1LE rear shock mounts.
I've heard "solid" mounts make the car somewhat of a brick on the road. Not sure I want to go that far. I'd be interested in looking them over if you've got a link that would help.

The Bilsteins are are something I was considering already. My car is a 1LE so are you suggesting I replace the Rear Shock Mounts with new ones?
Old 11-11-2019, 07:06 AM   #10
G8One2

Solid subframe bushings help tremendously with wheel hop. They transfer very little if any, NVH to the car. The rest of you suspension parts will have more of an effect on NVH than the solid subframe bushings. Also, use delrin bushings instead, where you can. Poly bushings require frequent lubrication to keep them from squeeking. They also rotate inside the component they are attached too if they are an articulating joint. Poly bushings are good where you can use them to stiffen things up, but the OEM or even real race teams, dont use them for a reason. Personally, i would not use them on anything that moves, unless i had to, and it was all thats available for that particular location on the suspension. Use delrin if you can.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #11
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Sounds interesting.

What's NVH?
Old 11-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #12
G8One2

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzyk01 View Post
Sounds interesting.

What's NVH?
Noise Vibration Harshness or Harmonics depending who you ask.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:10 AM   #13
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Noise Vibration Harshness or Harmonics depending who you ask.
Thanks for the info. Do you recommend any particular Delrin parts?
Old 11-12-2019, 06:46 AM   #14
G8One2

http://m.bmrsuspension.com/?page=pro...productid=1486

http://m.bmrsuspension.com/?page=pro...productid=1041