Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-25-2019, 03:21 PM   #1
jeffro355

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
Knee pad question

I have a 1SS with plastic knee pads. I would like to cover them with black leather, and was wondering if the oem ones in the 2SS have foam or some padding under the leather? If anyone has the leather knee pads please post if their is padding. Pictures appreciated. Thanks
jeffro355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:27 PM   #2
CrazyCatGuy
I'm the cats pajamas baby

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I did the suede ones and there is padding. I'd assume the leather should be padded as well.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatGuy View Post
I did the suede ones and there is padding. I'd assume the leather should be padded as well.
same here they are alot better!
Old 07-25-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
I'm about to order some Hot Wheels ones. They make a world of difference for comfort compared to just plastic
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:18 PM   #5
jeffro355

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS
How thick is the padding? Is it on both the door pads and console pads? Thanks!
jeffro355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:32 PM   #6
V8RWD

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro355 View Post
How thick is the padding? Is it on both the door pads and console pads? Thanks!

I have suede ones and there's barely any padding at all. IMO anyway. I never felt the bare plastic ones though, as comparison.

But, just for looks alone, I would absolutely get em.
V8RWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:53 PM   #7
CCG Garnet Red

Drives: 2017 RS Garnet Red Tintcoat A8
Got the black suede for my son right after our purchase ('17 1LT RS). They look great and feel better than the OEM plastic ones, but I was very disappointed with the "Padding", almost non-existent. BTW: great price and service from shopchevyparts.com. Very easy to remove the plastic ones and put on the suede ones.
CCG Garnet Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:07 PM   #8
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I wonder if it's just the plastic knee pads with some padding and leather glued on. There was a member who made their own version with their plastic knee pads which they used for quite a while.
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:57 PM   #9
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
the leather and suede ones have padding (fake leather and fake suede, btw). It isn't much padding, but it is a lot better than hard plastic. I have the suede ones. They're nice and a huge upgrade from the plain old black plastic. My only problem with them is they're expensive. Like $275 on ebay for 4 pieces of plastic with a fake suede cover. It's a total ripoff but they fit right and are OEM so no complaints from me.

The weird thing about the placement of the pads, is that my R knee always rests on the R one, but my L knee completely misses the L one. I always wonder who they tested these on? Were their legs different lengths??
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:41 AM   #10
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
the leather and suede ones have padding (fake leather and fake suede, btw). It isn't much padding, but it is a lot better than hard plastic. I have the suede ones. They're nice and a huge upgrade from the plain old black plastic. My only problem with them is they're expensive. Like $275 on ebay for 4 pieces of plastic with a fake suede cover. It's a total ripoff but they fit right and are OEM so no complaints from me.

The weird thing about the placement of the pads, is that my R knee always rests on the R one, but my L knee completely misses the L one. I always wonder who they tested these on? Were their legs different lengths??
I need to do this. My OEM plastic on keeps falling off (right side) and I end up tucking it between the seat while driving. I thought the clips broke off, but they are all in place...just too easy to remove.
As for the left side, I didn't even know there was a left side, so my left knee is definitely not rubbing against it...LOL!
However, at $275, I think I can recover the plastic ones with some padding. I may just do this as a diy project come winter, at least I can do this one in the warmth of the house.
Time to start learning how to reupholster!
Old 07-26-2019, 09:26 AM   #11
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
I have the leather ones and if there is padding it’s very minimal. I don’t usually rest my leg on it very much. The left one has more padding than the right one in my opinion.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #12
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
I have the faux suede. The padding is just some thin foam. They are useful but overpriced for what they are. I am tall and both knees rest on these points. Much better than the plastic when I'm wearing shorts. A local upholstery shop might be able to cover the original pieces with more foam instead of just throwing them away.
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:08 PM   #13
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Even without much padding (there isn't much, and shouldn't be since this is an area where you support yourself while cornering and that flex isn't a positive) it is FAR more comfortable to rest your knees/legs on suede than shitty hard scratchy Tonka truck plastic.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:20 PM   #14
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I had as an option in my 2016 the black suede knee pads and door panels too and really liked them. Of course my ZL1 has both but with red stitching to match the seats and interior pieces. I would recommend getting the black suede ones and you can order them thru GM Accessories. They look so much better than the plastic ones your Camaro has!