Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-23-2019, 04:53 PM   #1
esm

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Exhaust ? - 2nd cat delete or Borla axle back

I'm debating what exhaust I want to get a little more sound, without drone. I don't ever want headers or a tune. The car is stock I'm thinking I'd like the car about 20-30% louder.

What is the difference in loudness:
- 2nd cat delete & stock muffler vs Borla S-type
- 2nd cat delete & stock muffler vs Borla Atak
- 2nd cat delete & stock muffler vs other axle backs that retain NPP

I've listened to the Borla video but I haven't been able to find a comparison to just deleting the 2nd cat.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:03 PM   #2
hebert machine

Drives: 2018 zl1
My opinion is the borla atak is about perfect sound wise if you don't do anything else to the exhaust system. If you start taking the cats off and adding headers it just be come obnoxious and too loud with no real tone. The stype and the touring sound good with headers and no cats it. Only real difference is the the sound level as they sound similar. Now out of all the choice of exhaust systems id go with Awe touring with no cats and no resonators. They sound better and the tips are better by far!
hebert machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #3
jjgi5150

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
Hi esm,

Try this...I believe the poster actually just removed the secondary cats, and left the rest of the system stock.

Good luck..

JJ
2023 Hyundai SF Calligraphy
jjgi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:57 PM   #4
LT4

Drives: all sold, getting another soon..
Just yesterday I installed a Borla SS Axle back (S-Type) on my ZL1. I did't want too loud a system and I needed NPP retained because I start the car up in the early mornings.

The only way to get just the axle back with Borla on a ZL1 is to chose one of the SS versions, which fit perfectly. I can always upgrade to the full system (2nd cat delete) anytime if I so desired, by just purchasing the mid pipes.

Well..it turns out the S-Type is still plenty loud. For those who said its same as stock at idle are dead wrong, and in non-stealth mode, cold starts are like a thunder crack. In fact, my new stealth mode is the same as non-stealth mode stock.

Anyway, even louder than I anticipated at start up and idle, I'm still happy with the system. The sound on the road is amazing and tunnel runs are intoxicating. The fit was perfect and final adjustments are easy. I did the whole thing myself with rented garage time, in about 2 hours, taking my time.
Attached Images

LT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:17 PM   #5
esm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4 View Post
Just yesterday I installed a Borla SS Axle back (S-Type) on my ZL1. I did't want too loud a system and I needed NPP retained because I start the car up in the early mornings.

The only way to get just the axle back with Borla on a ZL1 is to chose one of the SS versions, which fit perfectly. I can always upgrade to the full system (2nd cat delete) anytime if I so desired, by just purchasing the mid pipes.

Well..it turns out the S-Type is still plenty loud. For those who said its same as stock at idle are dead wrong, and in non-stealth mode, cold starts are like a thunder crack. In fact, my new stealth mode is the same as non-stealth mode stock.

Anyway, even louder than I anticipated at start up and idle, I'm still happy with the system. The sound on the road is amazing and tunnel runs are intoxicating. The fit was perfect and final adjustments are easy. I did the whole thing myself with rented garage time, in about 2 hours, taking my time.

Thanks for the reply! It's really hard to get straight answers since exhaust sounds and level are so subjective. I need to find a stock exhaust car with deleted 2nd cats and compare that to Borla.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:22 PM   #6
Zigg L1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red Tintcoat A10
I got the borla Stype catback and it sounds great!!! I love it!! Alot of complements to. I wouldn't want it any louder. And to me the Stype is a bit deeper tone.. and of course no drone either. Maybe next year headers but I will always run cats!
Zigg L1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:33 PM   #7
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
I got the borla S type cat back, with NPP and OEM headers.. It was an improvement over stock for sure, but it was a little too soft for me. I thought I should have gotten the Atak. But now I added Headers and high flow cats and DAMMMNNNNNN.. at WOT it's a screaming banchee ... can;t even imagine what the Atak would sound like with headers...

and for the guys with headers , race pipes and full exhaust
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:40 PM   #8
Busted43

Drives: 2018 zl1,A10,16 GLC300
People overlook The Flowmaster axle back, no drone, awesome muscle car sound.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2019, 12:42 AM   #9
fosterelli

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I have the Borla Atak and can't be happier with the sound. And I was super nervous about what it would sound like, either too much noise or not enough noise...and I'd hate to spend money on either side of disappointment.
fosterelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:43 AM   #10
DOHCVTEC

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
GThaus for the win! Expensive A.F. and a rather long wait.. but!! I can get them 5% off because I got a wholesale account through my dealership in AZ, if anyone is interested
Sounds insane! its both deeper and more exotic at the same time... don't ask me how.. kind of has that chewbacca growl... tunnel? forget about it.... almost unfair
NPP on a switch, bypasses factory system
Quite mode is nice... very pleasant.. comparing this one in quite mode vs stock in loud mode, GThaus is definitely much quieter than stock when on full throttle.. off throttle, idle, and cruise are little louder than stock
Loud..., it becomes very loud! Secondary cats have been gone for a while, but still, it's much louder than stock... scares people actually.. really fun to watch reactions
Attached Images

Last edited by DOHCVTEC; 06-25-2019 at 04:25 PM.
DOHCVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #11
esm

These exhaust options all sound good, I'm just having a hard time spending over $1,000 for mufflers. I'd rather put that money towards brakes or tires. Thanks all for the feedback, I might just delete the 2nd cats and be done.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #12
staples87

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I have the Borla ATAK catback on mine. It's loud when you go over 3,000 but it's very daily drivable if need be. I would suggest the NPP version. Doing the Fuse pull results in some drone, so I would assume the Non-NPP version would have drone.

I'm thinking about doing the 2nd cat delete as well.

Last edited by staples87; 06-26-2019 at 10:10 AM.
staples87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:23 PM   #13
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
These exhaust options all sound good, I'm just having a hard time spending over $1,000 for mufflers. I'd rather put that money towards brakes or tires. Thanks all for the feedback, I might just delete the 2nd cats and be done.
Yes, you could go this route, but I bet you find, it's not enough. If you are going to make a change , make sure it counts the first time, especially if you are gong to be under the car anyway. I plan on going with the Borla Atak.
I had it on my SS and went with the carbon fiber tip option, it looked awesome and sounded amazing, worth the $$.
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:31 PM   #14
esm

I agree, I'm done wasting money on mods. I did that with my Viper. I bought the Arrow PCM and had it installed before delivery, then bought into the hype of doing exhaust (Belenger cat back) which added more sound and drone and headaches with the exhaust tips rotating. I really didn't gain much for the $3k I spent on those two mods. I do want the car a little louder and I'm going to be more careful where I spend money on a car I occasionally track and daily drive.