Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-07-2019, 02:46 AM   #113
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Called out by saying we have tampon dispensers in our cars? What are you, 8 years old or something?

Oh, I get it. You're the one crouching next to the front wheel cleaning it in your profile pic.
Well I made you look under the seat. The kid just graduated from kindergarten so he's smarter than all of us.
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:47 AM   #114
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
FYI back in the day, locally they were never ever called "super cars" ...
They were called "super cars" in the road test magazine articles of the day. Look it up. I never stated they were called "super cars" locally.

However, I do know they never called them "muscle cars" back then either "locally" or in the magazine articles of the day. That term had not been invented yet to describe those types of cars.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:14 AM   #115
gringo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Haha....you and your Google searches. The l99 runs door to door with the ls3. Both motors are proven performers with tons of modded examples right here. You are way out of touch bud....time to trade in that v6 ..down to a 4 banger...that's about your speed.
Yeah right! A 400 hp/400 tq engine with AFM lifters ready to grenade runs neck and neck with an engine that has 26 hp/20 tq more with higher compression and a cam with more lift and duration. Was the LS3 owner sleeping when you raced him?

Mod, mod, mod. You're gonna need them just to keep up to those bone stock 6th gen SS's. So, keep modding your L99 into oblivion until you can't even drive the car on the street anymore.lol!
Old 06-07-2019, 04:38 AM   #116
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Yeah right! A 400 hp/400 tq engine with AFM lifters ready to grenade runs neck and neck with an engine that has 26 hp/20 tq more with higher compression and a cam with more lift and duration. Was the LS3 owner sleeping when you raced him?

Mod, mod, mod. You're gonna need them just to keep up to those bone stock 6th gen SS's. So, keep modding your L99 into oblivion until you can't even drive the car on the street anymore.lol!
Your comments about these motors and performance capabilities were put to bed years ago. Gearing in the trans more then makes up for the 25hp difference between the two. You are arguing about v8s to guys that have owned them for years. I would suggest you stop posting about drag racing...you know nothing about it and your comments confirm it. You keep kidding yourself about being happy with your car....if you need any advice on drag racing the 5th gen Camaro just come see big brother. Or hang out in the v8 section to learn a few things.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:37 AM   #117
gringo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Your comments about these motors and performance capabilities were put to bed years ago. Gearing in the trans more then makes up for the 25hp difference between the two. You are arguing about v8s to guys that have owned them for years. I would suggest you stop posting about drag racing...you know nothing about it and your comments confirm it. You keep kidding yourself about being happy with your car....if you need any advice on drag racing the 5th gen Camaro just come see big brother. Or hang out in the v8 section to learn a few things.
Yep, you are definitely one of the classic L99 owners in denial. "Oh, 25hp doesn't make a difference and neither does the 20ft-lbs of torque either". lol!

I have a V8 in my other car and I have owned other V8 cars in the past too. I didn't come from 4cyl imports like some guys do. I'm used to big and small V8's (mostly GM) with a lot of torque.

Drag racing. The be all/end all for all the knuckle draggers who own V8's. Yep, your the awesome pro drag racer with that poser track pic in your profile.

Oh, I'm very happy with my V6. I know that boils your blood pressure to cardiac arrest levels, but it's the truth. I just drove it tonight and couldn't believe how responsive and fast it felt when it got up into the revs.

You see, I don't have to go on an endless mod spending spree racing at a drag strip to prove to myself that I still like my car. I like it just the way it sits. If some day I want to take it to the track and compete with it, then I will mod it accordingly. For right now, I'm just enjoying the way GM made it and I'm having a blast. Every day I get to drive it, I come away loving it even more.

If may dare say, these V6's drive like mini Ferrari's.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:14 AM   #118
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Quote:

You didn't prove anything. That you paid less than MSRP? Big whoop!

Most people pay less than MSRP unless they're fools or have money to burn. No matter how you slice it, MSRP or red tag sale, the SS is thousands more in price than the V6 comparably equipped. They had red tag sale SS's when bought mine. Still, they were at least $10K more than what I paid for my V6.

You paid more than I did by over $10K at least. I only used the MSRP argument to compare prices because that's a number can be quantified. What each deaker does in putting cash on the hood can not. However, the V6 will always be cheaper than the SS wth equal options.
Wrong once again. The Canadian to US dollar value when I purchased my car was slightly worse than it is today, but I'll use today's numbers to help you out. So I paid 34500 converted to 25827.41 USD. so let's round it up to 25900. You paid 18900. A difference of 7 grand. Take off the added items that your car can't have and that number slips to under 5 grand. Even at the 7k range it's a free cry from the 10+ your claiming. I also dont know your finance rate mine was 0. So if you had a percentage that could also be another couple grand closer. Oh and that 25900 would have still been a good price an a fully equipped 2016 V6 when they first came out.

Last edited by Reaper85; 06-07-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:33 AM   #119
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Yep, you are definitely one of the classic L99 owners in denial. "Oh, 25hp doesn't make a difference and neither does the 20ft-lbs of torque either". lol!

I have a V8 in my other car and I have owned other V8 cars in the past too. I didn't come from 4cyl imports like some guys do. I'm used to big and small V8's (mostly GM) with a lot of torque.

Drag racing. The be all/end all for all the knuckle draggers who own V8's. Yep, your the awesome pro drag racer with that poser track pic in your profile.

Oh, I'm very happy with my V6. I know that boils your blood pressure to cardiac arrest levels, but it's the truth. I just drove it tonight and couldn't believe how responsive and fast it felt when it got up into the revs.

You see, I don't have to go on an endless mod spending spree racing at a drag strip to prove to myself that I still like my car. I like it just the way it sits. If some day I want to take it to the track and compete with it, then I will mod it accordingly. For right now, I'm just enjoying the way GM made it and I'm having a blast. Every day I get to drive it, I come away loving it even more.

Ya 25 crank hp in a heavy car doesn't make a difference. But you don't know that....and your V6 sounding like a Ferrari is a bit of a stretch. But coming from you its not suprising....I can't even say typical V6 owner because there are alot of good V6 owners on Camaro5. You just are not one of them. And poser pics eh ? I left a few vids in your idiotic comments in the other thread to address that. If you need to see more drag racing vids let me know. Do you see it yet? You quote Google search times as fact while im out in the real world running my car. Keep posting ..you are looking worse with each pile you post.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:04 AM   #120
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
However, I do know they never called them "muscle cars" back then either "locally" or in the magazine articles of the day. That term had not been invented yet to describe those types of cars.
There was a short run local car show on TV. It was sponsored by Gratiot Auto Supply, and they would run some snippets of street cars. The snippets were called Motor City Muscle, it's possible the term "Muscle Cars" stemmed from there.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #121
LuSINda

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I grew up in the 70s and they were called muscle cars then. That term has been around for a long time.

Lusinda
2010 2SS/RS
LuSINda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:03 AM   #122
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:

Your leaving out the VVT on the l99 as well. That also helps make up the power difference and as said by rontammy the deeper gears in the 6l80 put it right there with the ls3. I’ve not spent much money modding my car at all and I love it to death every time I drive it. Im glad your happy with yours and I’m thrilled with mine. I personally have nothing against v6 cars. The vast majority of V6 guys are great. I’ve enjoyed my interactions with them, all Camaros are cool to me. I just get tired of the constant militant attitude from some V6 guys toward the L99 in particular which preforms very well for me. Spouting off blatantly false facts and pitting everyone against each other for the sake of your camaro social justice gets old I’m sorry.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:04 AM   #123
LuSINda

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Lets see if we can find some common ground here... can we agree that the AFM system is only in these cars for EPA testing and they do nothing beneficial to longevity or performance? If so, it has no place in a performance vehicle. Can I get an Amen?

Lusinda
2010 2SS/RS
LuSINda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #124
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
They were called "super cars" in the road test magazine articles of the day. Look it up. I never stated they were called "super cars" locally.

That not really correct from what I've read the phrase has been around for a long time.. (See English phrase description page said about it below) I've also posted a few magazine covers that had articles about the Mustang and Camaro in them, example below..

English phrase history reference: The concept of the expression dates back to 1949 when it was used to refer to a sport car with specific characteristics: The American muscle car, introduced in 1949, is an essential component of the car industry. In response to the sudden demand for faster cars at this time, Oldsmobile débuted its Rocket 88

Last edited by Memphis SS; 06-07-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #125
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuSINda View Post
I grew up in the 70s and they were called muscle cars then. That term has been around for a long time.
I was a teen in the 70s and I agree I posted information about it above..

You are correct..
Old 06-07-2019, 09:17 AM   #126
Memphis SS

Quote:
your V6 sounding like a Ferrari is a bit of a stretch. But coming from you its not suprising.
Where is he getting that from?
I'm I missing something here??? Last time I checked the Ferrari 488 was a turbocharged V8 with a flat plane crank. Not sure how that compares
However, I do have a 2018 Shelby GT350R in my garage right now that has a 5.2 V8 Flat Plane Crank that sounds like a pissed off Ferrari when it is running.