Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
faSSteddie

Drives: 2013 Victory red/white stripes SS
Zl1 aftermarket Boost gauge

We are installing an aftermarket boost gauge (Speedhut) on my best friend's 2013 ZL1. I have read that the stock 4 gauge cluster boost gauge has only a wire going to it and no vacuum hose and that the gauge is getting the boost information from the computer. so...

1) can I somehow tap into a/the wire and go get this boost information to the aftermarket gauge thus not needing to hookup the gauge's vacuum hose?
-OR-
2)if that is not viable, can someone explain and/or show me a picture of where and how to tee into a boost/vacuum reference?

Thanks guys.
faSSteddie
faSSteddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:25 PM   #2
JBZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
It depends on what kind of gauge you're Installing, is it a vacuum or electrical gauge?

2012 ZL1 preproduction car #13
ROTO-FAB intake / IC reservoir , 2.85" upper , ported inlet
JBZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
faSSteddie

Well, I am confused.... the description of my gauge from the website states: " Revolution Electronic Boost Gauges-high quality electronic (0.5-4.5 volt) pressure transducer (sender) is included with the gauge for highest accuracy. Wire harness included)".... but the package that came with the gauge contains a rubber hose that hooks up the boost reference to this "transducer"... doesn't that make it a mechanical gauge? But then there is a wire that comes out of the transducer and goes to the gauge.... so I don't know...
What would be kind of neat is if we could tap into the wire going into the stock gauge with the wire from the aftermarket gauge and not even need the rubber hose. .... but now I am all confused...
Anybody that can shed some light on this , please jump in.
FaSSteddie
Old 04-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #4
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
The exact model would help. Were instructions not included?

Chances are if it has both a hose and wiring: the actual gauge is vacuum, and the wiring is for lighting.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #5
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
It sounds to me like there should be a remote transducer that needs to be plumbed into where you want to measure pressure. That transducer will send a .5-4.5 volt signal to the gauge via a wire. I doubt very seriously that the signal for the gauge can be pulled from anything existing on the car.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #6
faSSteddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
It sounds to me like there should be a remote transducer that needs to be plumbed into where you want to measure pressure. That transducer will send a .5-4.5 volt signal to the gauge via a wire. I doubt very seriously that the signal for the gauge can be pulled from anything existing on the car.
Then where does the existing gauge get its info from since it does not have a vacuum line hooked up to it? Isn't the factory gauge getting a voltage signal ( and not a vacuum signal) from somewhere? if this is the case, then why cant I get that same voltage signal to the aftermarket gauge after all, the aftermarket gauge would be getting a voltage signal from the transducer.

Last edited by faSSteddie; 04-09-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: changeed "if" to "since"
Old 04-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #7
faSSteddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
The exact model would help. Were instructions not included?

Chances are if it has both a hose and wiring: the actual gauge is vacuum, and the wiring is for lighting.
it is a Speedhut GR-Boost -01

"Speedhut's boost gauges use a small microprocessor to control pointer movement. A small electronic circuit board within the gauge reads the voltage signal from the pressure MAP sensor and sends the voltage to the gauge head. Air leaks are never a problem, because the boost psi air pressure is kept at the MAP sensor and not sent all the way back to the gauge head. Also, depending on the accuracy of the pressure MAP sensor, these gauges can be as accurate or better than the mechanical type. Speedhut uses a 1.5% accurate pressure transducer for all of our boost gauges yielding the most accurate gauge readings. A stepper motor gauge movement is used to move the pointer around the gauge. The Speedhut boost gauge movement can withstand much more vibration than a traditional mechanical gauge movements and will not cause pointer bounce."

Yes, there is wiring for lighting... I am not talking about that...I am talking about the wire going from the transducer to the back of the gauge.

Last edited by faSSteddie; 04-09-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #8
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I looked up that gauge on Speedhut's web site and clicked on the instructions.
The instructions show various wires, but it doesn't show and rubber tubes ??

https://www.speedhut.com/instruction...revolution.pdf
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:48 PM   #9
faSSteddie

the rubber vacuum tube goes from the boost reference to the transducer right where it says 1/8 npt threads...you thread on the included brass nipple. you can also click on the picture of what comes along with the gauge to see the brass nipple and the vacuum hose.
you are right, though, they do not show the vacuum hose on that instruction sheet... I believe that instruction sheet is more for the electrical wiring.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #10
faSSteddie

Name:  Kit_Boost.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  50.5 KB
Old 04-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #11
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
It's interesting that on thier web site, it shows the picture you show above on the page for your gauge, the instructions that the provided like leads to lists a pressure gauge among others but no 'boost' gauge.
AND, if you choose the 'ships with' tab, that list also includes a reference to the rubber tube/tee.

2-1/16" Boost Gauge 0-30psi (w/ warning)

Ships with the following:

Spin Lock Ring for 2 1/6" & 2 5/8" Gauges

Pressure Sensor - 30 psi (Revolution and Legacy)

Pressure Gauge Wiring Harness (3-Wire Cable)

Gauge Lighting Inverter for Single Gauge

Single Gauge Power Cable

(1) Vaccum Hose
(1) T-fitting
Wiring Harness is 8 feet long.

The mystery continues???

Perhaps a call to speedhut is called for?

Is it possible that the gauge is designed to work with either a vaccum source or for an electrical source of boost depending on your application?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #12
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
We work with this type of setup all the time the water industry. The transducer converts the pressure signal to a voltage. Plumb in the transducer using the brass fitting on the round transducer in your picture. That will then send a varying voltage to the gauge. I don't know what the stock signal is for our cars. but if it is voltage, then the span would have to be set up the same as the new gauge, which is doubtful.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote