Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #15
49North1LE

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE G7C,
I'm a flat black hood fan, like its distinctive look. Have a spare wrap just in case.
49North1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #16
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Is the corrosion on the outside edges of the aluminum hood? Are you driving in all weather situations? Winter salt will eat it’s way in the nooks over time..I ask because I cannot see how it could corrode anywhere but the outer edges on our cars. If the aluminum is corroding there really is no proper way to save it or a sure fix. I personally would not go back to an aluminum hood. I’d do a carbon fiber hood. I’d considered wrapping it black following. Mine only gets out on sunny dry days so I don’t ever see an issue forming but I can see this happening to one that may drive in crap Weather.
Sorry to hear about your hood brother.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #17
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS RS 1LE
Well, I ordered wrap on Amazon and the first roll showed up just before Christmas and the UPS guy was nice enough to bend the stuff in a couple different places causing it to be wrinkled and basically garbage.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1En...pmIUhMjzJh_8X_

Called Amazon and they expedited another roll out to me. Nice.

Got the second roll and the box was in good shape. YA!

That sat around for a bit,...Holidays...

Opened the new box and found it in better condition.

Unrolled the wrap and found a crease right in the frigging middle of the roll!!!!!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eS...WuhnDxgERE_TNc

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q1...-qMrqrGFIKmm4g

WTF

This is the kind of crap that makes me want to just bend over and pay someone to do something like this.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:14 PM   #18
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
I like plastic dip, i've done a couple of smaller projects. not a hood, but when i pull the strips off the car, I was going to get then painted on
Hot Wheels Emblems and Floor Mats, Morimoto Fog Lights, PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting & My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller & Paddle Shifter Heritage Grill, Manual Shifter Boot, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Hot Wheels door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #19
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
If the day comes for mine to be replaced, I'm going with a 3m satin wrap to match the spoiler plus have better protection. There's a place less than 1hr away from me that does wraps. No way I would do my own. It would end up like a few windows I've tried tinting lol. No good......
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:27 PM   #20
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

I hear ya!

I'm using the 3M wrap. I'm thinking I'll just use this stuff even with the wrinkle. Kind of like a training run.

At best it comes out great! At worse I rip it off later this year and do it again.

Life. It's fun if you let it be.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old 12-30-2018, 11:39 PM   #21
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Dang that is a bummer! Heat gun might just take the wrinkles or flaws out while your installing. I would have just sprayed it satin black and save the headache. Hopefully now the 3 of 3 crappy things have gone wrong and now good things are sure to now follow for ya! Always happens to me to the 3 of 3. Good luck!
Old 12-31-2018, 03:44 AM   #22
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzyk01 View Post
I hear ya!

I'm using the 3M wrap. I'm thinking I'll just use this stuff even with the wrinkle. Kind of like a training run.

At best it comes out great! At worse I rip it off later this year and do it again.

Life. It's fun if you let it be.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Watch a few of the YouTube videos on 3M wrap, most importantly the professional one from 3M. The wrinkles will come out with their advice and just the right heat. My 3rd time was a charm but that was finally after giving in to taking professionals advice on YouTube. The satin does better in many ways if you have a choice. My wrap came with more wrinkles than any delivery driver should put in it, but they came out. The heat gun is a tool, not a crutch. Good luck and the satisfaction is always doing it yourself.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:42 AM   #23
Rob10CamaroSS

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Redline Phase 4
Wow that sucks and WTF with the creases in the Wrap ?

I've had many aluminum hoods but never had one corrode under the paint ?
For that matter I've had many Fiberglass Hoods and never seen one do what mine is doing right now. You cant even take a pic of what mine is doing, it looks great in pic's and in person but if you catch the right angle on a shady day it literally has thousands of fish eyes. My guess is someone didnt prepare the hood properly before painting it in my case.

I was going to sand it and wrap it but I think I rather find a Carbon Fiber Hood instead.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:02 AM   #24
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

I've checked out some Youtube education on this stuff. I've not seen a single video showing someone starting out with a flawed sheet of wrap.

While I have the sheet hanging out in the garage I tried hitting the crease with the heat gun. It relaxed the crease a little but it is still very clearly visible and in the center of the sheet. Actually, the pictures I posted are after I tried heating it.

And ya, doing it yourself is what it's all about. Anyone can whip out cash/credit and have someone else do it.

I may get back to this today but likely will try installing this on Tuesday/New Years Day.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:31 AM   #25
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
I think I would skip the wrap and just paint it satin black after I saw it bubbling
Old 12-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #26
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzyk01 View Post
I've checked out some Youtube education on this stuff. I've not seen a single video showing someone starting out with a flawed sheet of wrap.

While I have the sheet hanging out in the garage I tried hitting the crease with the heat gun. It relaxed the crease a little but it is still very clearly visible and in the center of the sheet. Actually, the pictures I posted are after I tried heating it.

And ya, doing it yourself is what it's all about. Anyone can whip out cash/credit and have someone else do it.

I may get back to this today but likely will try installing this on Tuesday/New Years Day.
I say all of this not being an expert of any means on wraps other than I did my hood and it took 3 times to finally get it. I was very close to forking out $$$ to take it to a professional. But I finally found the magic heat to get it just right.
Don’t heat the wrap until you put it on or it’ll mess up the memory if heated to much. From my understanding the memory will return to unwrinkled form with just the right amount of heat. Too much and it destroys it, too little and it doesn’t remove wrinkles. If the wrinkles are actually creases then it’s a waste of your time because it’ll always have a line in the wrap. I watched many shadetree YouTube’s which lead me to believe heat was a crutch, then I watched the official 3M one and it worked out like magic. I’ll have to look for it. The wrinkles were completely across my hood in multiple places and they all finally smooth out. You hold the heat on them and they all of a sudden disappear but if you hold it much longer then the wrap “melts” or does funky things which seems to destroy the memory. Again, if anyone else can chime in to better help.
I can tell you from years of aviation mechanics and working with aluminum. It is like cancer and must be removed and replaced. The problem with this in automobiles is that it is not designed in panel and rivets to be replaceable. So the entire hood may need replaced to look good. Another issue is that even sanding aluminum with the incorrect sandpaper creates corrosion down the road when you think all is good and painted. Anyway, I digress. Wish you luck and patience.

Good luck and happy 2019
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote