Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 03-06-2018, 03:17 PM   #15
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpelow07 View Post
don't waste your money on a stock frame turbo. Buy the zzp zfr bolt on turbo.
LIKE!

Except with the ZFR, you're going to run into fuel issues much quicker. Can you use anything more then E15 with the ZFR? I know the ZFR's with E85 would be an absolute killer!
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #16
dpelow07

Drives: ats
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
LIKE!

Except with the ZFR, you're going to run into fuel issues much quicker. Can you use anything more then E15 with the ZFR? I know the ZFR's with E85 would be an absolute killer!
zfr will run out of fuel on 93. We can use meth to help a little bit, but we need a hpfp asap! or you can pull the motor and install cams with the larger fuel lobe
dpelow07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #17
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpelow07 View Post
zfr will run out of fuel on 93. We can use meth to help a little bit, but we need a hpfp asap! or you can pull the motor and install cams with the larger fuel lobe
I was under the impression that the fuel lobes only gained around 15% headroom, and the aftermarket HPFP gained north of 25%?
to invalidate anyone's personal views or thoughts, nor is it a condemnation of anyone's
race, religion, sex, sexual preferences, handicaps, or intellectual abilities.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:56 AM   #18
Scoooter12

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1lt 2.0 White
Okay so maybe there just wasn't enough coffee this morning. but it seems like the turbo bay stage 2 upgrade is literally just a billet 20t compressor wheel with extended tips and the tdo4HL 9 blade turbine.
is that really a sizeable upgrade?
obviously the ZFR is a huge upgrade.
but lets say all I wanted was 325-350whp with stock internals, would an upgraded turbine and wheel be worth the improved efficiency? while also keeping a super punchy small frame turbo?
I'm pretty sure there are guys running stocks turbos at 325whp but my impression was that the turbo is well out of its efficiency range.
Scoooter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #19
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter12 View Post
Okay so maybe there just wasn't enough coffee this morning. but it seems like the turbo bay stage 2 upgrade is literally just a billet 20t compressor wheel with extended tips and the tdo4HL 9 blade turbine.
is that really a sizeable upgrade?
obviously the ZFR is a huge upgrade.
but lets say all I wanted was 325-350whp with stock internals, would an upgraded turbine and wheel be worth the improved efficiency? while also keeping a super punchy small frame turbo?
I'm pretty sure there are guys running stocks turbos at 325whp but my impression was that the turbo is well out of its efficiency range.

I like where this guy is going with this... anyone with a stock frame turbo with upgraded wheels? Opinion?

I don't want to move my powerband up further into the rpm range. I just want to increase the power in the range that it already makes power...the car has some damn good low/mid torque that proves useful every day.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #20
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorymick View Post
I like where this guy is going with this... anyone with a stock frame turbo with upgraded wheels? Opinion?

I don't want to move my powerband up further into the rpm range. I just want to increase the power in the range that it already makes power...the car has some damn good low/mid torque that proves useful every day.
I have a buddy that isn't on the forums but he has a stage 2 turbo, he dynoed 343 who on a e85/93 mix
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #21
b0bsaget007

Drives: 2016 2LT RS Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorymick View Post

Theoretically, larger and lighter turbine and compressor wheels should actually spool faster due to less inertia and greater capability of capturing energy from the exhaust. Ported housings can amplify this further. I see nothing wrong with an upgraded stock turbo as an alternative to a full turbo swap.

PC: i5-6600; RX 480 4GB; 16GB DDR4; Samsung 950 PRO 512GB SSD
Car: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS 2.0T 6M Blue Velvet Metallic | ZZP Hi-Flow Catted Downpipe | Injen EVO7300 Cold Air Intake
b0bsaget007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:46 PM   #22
VinceK

Drives: 2019 6.2L V8 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
I can't provide much info, but I do have a turbo bay turbo here that I will probably be installing some time this spring/early summer, will report back at that time.

@Jason - Did you ever end up dropping this in? Results/thoughts?

To others still curious about the upgrade, I purchased one and am currently awaiting delivery - I'll update after the swap is complete and I am re-tuned. My build journal will get an overhaul then as well, but it has all of my current upgrades right now anyhow.

Unsure if I will actually dyno pre/post - will primarily use my 0-60 figure under dry conditions and general feel of the vehicle as comparison (honestly my obsession is just getting that 0-60 down to low 4's or better, and it is currently at 4.8).

Though I will likely do a post-tuning dyno session since this will mark the end of my upgrades (unless I am not pleased with this turbo and I decide to spring for a ZFR when it comes back). Also, even better than dyno'ing, I intend to take the car to the track a little later into the Florida summer/early winter on a nice day and will definitely post slips from that.

Updates soon.

Last edited by VinceK; 07-03-2018 at 08:36 PM.
VinceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:18 PM   #23
Archangle

Drives: 2017 ice sliver 1LT
My Turbo Bay turbo is getting installed this month with my snow performance stage 2 meth kit.. I'm pretty much 100% sure I will be going with Danny Tech for the tune. I'm sending out my TCM next week to be unlocked from HP tuners.. If I could figure out how to start a Build Journal I would list the laundry load of parts I have on my Camaro.. Oh and Redline Motorsports down in lauderdale is a joke for the LTG plat form just to let everyone know.. For SS owners different story...
Archangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #24
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangle View Post
My Turbo Bay turbo is getting installed this month with my snow performance stage 2 meth kit.. I'm pretty much 100% sure I will be going with Danny Tech for the tune. I'm sending out my TCM next week to be unlocked from HP tuners.. If I could figure out how to start a Build Journal I would list the laundry load of parts I have on my Camaro.. Oh and Redline Motorsports down in lauderdale is a joke for the LTG plat form just to let everyone know.. For SS owners different story...
Good to hear bro, u got an Instagram?
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:49 PM   #25
VinceK

Drives: 2019 6.2L V8 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangle View Post

What was your lead time out of curiosity? Did you send in your turbo to be rebuilt or go with the refundable core charge?
Old 07-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #26
Archangle

I bought a used turbo off New Egg which I know sounds weird but I got it for under $200.00 which I gave to Matt at Turbo Bay myself.. I've had my turbo for just over a year but I used to work on the road and had no time to put parts on until now.. but it took awhile to get done I wanna say 10 weeks but I was in zero rush and he's in town.. but the picture that is on his website is my turbo when it was finished with the forge waste gate.. I'm currently on the fence on buying a factory recirculation valve from a new Honda civic 2.0T to see if the bolt alinement works if so I will return it and get an aftermarket blow off valve to replace that POS plastic factory one from chevy.. The Forge waste gate was originally for a ford focus ST but Matt from turbo bay modify it to work with the turbo. just to let you know.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:58 AM   #27
Archangle

yep I got an Instagram now because of Danytech.. Thank you again by the way
Old 07-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #28
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceK View Post
Jason - Did you ever end up dropping this in? Results

Still haven’t, currently building a new forged bottom end engine, saving it for that. Sorry. I might just throw a different compressor wheel on the stock turbo and try it just for kicks on the stock motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote